Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried towing a small travel trailer with their Frontier? By small I mean one that weighs in at no more than about 3000 lbs dry weight.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Has anyone tried towing a small travel trailer with their Frontier? By small I mean one that weighs in at no more than about 3000 lbs dry weight.
What year Frontier?

What engine?

What transmission?

2WD or 4WD?

Regular cab, King Cab, or Crew Cab?

How many passengers and weight of gear in the truck?

How much additional weight in the trailer?

Square footage of front of travel trailer?

So I'll try to answer based upon the information you have provided: MAYBE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2016 Frontier SV V-6 Crew Cab. There will only be the 2 of us(wife and I) with very little extra gear. We travel light. I don't know exactly how much extra stuff in the trailer but I would guess 500-600lbs max. We will only carry a minimum amount of water since we will be staying in campgrounds with hookups. I don't know the square footage of front of trailer because we haven't bought one yet. I am hoping that ideas and thoughts we glean from this forum will help us determine what we can tow.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Yes, you can. Look in the owners manual referring to total frontage limit from Nissan. Go to a trailer store with the truck and properly working trailer brake set up and request to test pull a unit. You will want either airbags suspension added or Timbren load boosters and weight distribution hitch as well.
I pulled an enclosed trailer from NJ to Florida and back multiple times and all was fine, load was 2500 pounds approx.

Clint

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tow a 17' Casita travel trailer. Approx. 2800#. Tough weight about 320. No problems at all. No airbags or WDH but use a sway bar. Avg.approx 15mpg @65 mph. Travel reg. From OH to FL and elevations are no problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, failed to mention in above post. 2012 sv6, 4wheel drive. My wife and I in cab and bed full of camping gear.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I tow this... Trailer is about 1040 lbs empty and it has about 300lbs of camping gear.

2014 Crew cab 4x4 long Bed. She tows like a dream i have towed going on 20k miles... No issues. Best fuel economy was about 15mpg avg is about 13. Worst was 9 in a serious head wind...

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Brand & model? Sleeps two? Any amenities?
it is a cargolite extreme from these folks... Micro-Lite Trailers

it has one queen side bed. Mine has fridge, air con, furnace, and had a microwave. It is available with water but we did not want water included as that always seems to be an issue folks have with trailers.

tows like a dream because it is so lite. We do overnights to weeks at a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts