Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a possible purchase of a Frontier, used. Several that I am interested in do not have a trailer hitch of which I need to tow my boat, less then 3000lbs. From my past truck days most towing packages included things like a trans cooler, oil cooler, hitch, and the wiring. Are Frontiers already equiped with the cooler(s) and all I would need is to add the hitch and wiring or do I need to add everything I mentioned in order to tow and not risk damage?

Looking at 04 and 05 V6's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ps0303 said:
I am looking at a possible purchase of a Frontier, used. Several that I am interested in do not have a trailer hitch of which I need to tow my boat, less then 3000lbs. From my past truck days most towing packages included things like a trans cooler, oil cooler, hitch, and the wiring. Are Frontiers already equiped with the cooler(s) and all I would need is to add the hitch and wiring or do I need to add everything I mentioned in order to tow and not risk damage?

Looking at 04 and 05 V6's.

Thanks.

I'm new to Frontiers so take my post with a grain of salt and wait until someone more experienced answers, however I think with a class 3 hitch, the frontier can support 7500lbs and be ok. Also, 04 and 05 Frontiers are different body styles. I don't know anything about pre 05's, but most any truck can tow 3000lbs with the proper hitch and a good brake setup.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A class III hitch is rated for 6500lbs towing and 650lbs tongue weight. I think the 2007 frontier is rated at 5500 lbs towing (or so).

People differ in what they think is okay, some say don't exceed 75% of the manufacturer rating for example. Another thing you have to figure is the weight of everything else (people, fuel, stuff in the truck, etc).

Another thing to consider is whether or not your trailer has brakes. 3000lb should (almost definately) but if it does not that's going to put a lot of stress on things.

I tow a roughly 1000lb pop-up trailer, I'll most likely hook up an auxillary trans cooler..it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
:hi: Welcome aboard! The trucks already have all the extra cooling you need to tow in your limits. The best deal for a towing set up talk with your local "U Haul". I had them install a class 111 all parts and labor for $200.00 drive out price. Different trim levels have diferent tow ratings, check the manual in the truck for that tow limit. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Yeah if you were buying new I'd definitely say to get it with the OEM hitch & wiring, but it can easily be done aftermarket. From what I've been told, unlike some other trucks there's nothing beefier about the Frontier in terms of cooling with & without the tow package, and i got my OEM hitch put on after i bought, so i went round and round with the dealer on any other potential equipment the tow package may have come with.

Edit - Towing capacity on the 04 model should b 5K pounds

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know about the '04 Frontiers, but the '05 models had tow limits ranging from 6100 lbs to 6500 lbs. 2WD SE KC is highest, CC 4x4s are lowest.

The Frontier tow package consisted of hitch receiver, ball mount and ball, pin, and wiring. Haven't heard any complaints on any board about not being able to tow up to the max without the auxiliary cooler.

Good luck, and post here after you decide what to buy.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
hey i had this same problem.....and on the 05's ( not sure about the 04's cause thier different) you can just install the ball on your bumper....cause you bumper is made to tow 3500 lbs or less....this is actually in the manual, not just my BS....if you were to get a tow hitch...then you can tow 6500 lbs...well good luck with the decision and rememebr im tlaking about the models of 05-07...

·
Registered
312 Posts
If it were my 3,000 lb. boat, I'd get a receiver hitch. Well worth the $200- to avoid cracked chrome or paint on my bumper. It can be Hell on your license plate, too. I've used bumper hitches in the past, but not for over 1,500 lbs and not on trucks I cared about. I haven't verified it, but appearently there's an auxillary cooler mounted in front of the radiator on all '05 and up. High temperatures while towing have not been an issue that I've heard of. A tranny cooler might be nice,though.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
From what I understand for at least the 2005 model year, the tow package from the factory is a hitch, class 3 receiver (rated up to 5000lbs towing) with a 2inch ball, and a 7 pin wiring harness. If you get a weight distributing hitch (Class 4 I believe) then the max towing capacity is 6500lbs. I cannot recall tongue weight limit specs.

Edit - Here is a link to a U-Haul towing glossary http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/glossary/

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
if you're not comfortable installing the wiring, the dealer should be able to install the wiring pretty inexpensively (<$100, including the parts) and u-haul will gladly sell you a receiver rated for 5000/6000 for about $130.

The wiring isnt just an inline harness at the back of the truck, there's more to it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
There is a wiring plug in at the back, Mainerunr, what else is needed in the way of wiring? A plug in of course, and wires to the trailer. There was a TSB last year about the trailer wiring, does anyone know what it was?
WW

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
WhistlerWzrd said:
There is a wiring plug in at the back, Mainerunr, what else is needed in the way of wiring? A plug in of course, and wires to the trailer. There was a TSB last year about the trailer wiring, does anyone know what it was?
WW
sure, there's a wiring plug in theback if you have the factory setup. if you dont, you need to install a relay under the passenger kickplate or somethng.

pretty sure the TSB had something to do with a relay to protect the truck from a miswired trailer. but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, the TSB was to protect the truck from an incorrectly-wired trailer. Even though my trailer is up to snuff, I got the TSB work done anyway. You never know when you might need to hook up an "unknown" trailer, plus it's better for resale. TSBs are done at no charge to the owner.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
there is an extra cooler infront of the radiator, i've never had a problem towing around my '72 Mini. I think the trailer/car combined weight is somewhere around 3000lb.

FYI I live in the Poconos, so I've always gotta tow up hill too.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
forgive my ignorance, wtf is a TSB?

Does anybody know what the Dealer gets for class III rec and wiring harness?

·
Super Moderator
19,903 Posts
gr8ful_ken said:
forgive my ignorance, wtf is a TSB?

Does anybody know what the Dealer gets for class III rec and wiring harness?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. I paid $152 for my hitch, $40 for the 4 pin harness and $52 for my 7 pin harness. Plus 7.5% tax.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Draw-Tite Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver $135.95
Pin and Clip For Class III, IV and V Trailer Hitch Receiver $4.95
Trailer Hitch Receiver Mounted Tow Strap Loop $64.95
Plug-N-Tow (TM) Wiring Harness $34.95
Shipping: UPS Ground: $0.99
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $241.83

ordered it from etrailer.com last Friday came in today, I will put it on tonight. I got mostly to have rear tow point. So I got the “Trailer Hitch Receiver Mounted Tow Strap Loop” instead of a ball, I think 2" balls about the same price. I am not sure how much of a drop I will want/need after my next lift so I thought I would wait on the ball.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for the TSB clarification

ChuckFrontier06 said:
I paid $152 for my hitch, $40 for the 4 pin harness and $52 for my 7 pin harness. Plus 7.5% tax.
At those prices, I bet labor wasnt included, but then again I can be hopeful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts