Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Frontier SE 4x4 and want to get a 19 to 24 foot RV trailer. The Frontier's rated towing capacity is 6500 lbs. The weight of these trailers is usually around 3500 lbs. Does anyone have any experience towing a trailer like this with the Frontier? I'm new to the RV world and really don't want to have to get a different truck.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome to CF.

There's a lot that comes into play when towing a trailer. The info below will explain all about the class of hitch you'll need for the weight of trailer being towed, the hitch weight, the sway controls, electric brake control and so on.

Click here and download the pages. Nissan Towing Guide.

Towing a trailer is not bad. Controlling a loaded trailer while towing, and Stopping it is what counts.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There have been numerous posts, some that I’ve replied to already. I think a 4wd se cc is rated closer to 6100 pounds. I wouldn’t tow more than a 19 ft travel trailer, you don’t have the wheel base to properly control anything longer. Check the frontal square footage, you probably already exceeded the sq footage. Check payload, you’ll be close to maxed out. How do I know this? I have a 19ft travel trailer that weighs 3900 pounds dry.

There are a lot of ideas and thoughts floating around, take it or leave it, I wouldn’t tow more than 5000 pounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been numerous posts, some that I’ve replied to already. I think a 4wd se cc is rated closer to 6100 pounds. I wouldn’t tow more than a 19 ft travel trailer, you don’t have the wheel base to properly control anything longer. Check the frontal square footage, you probably already exceeded the sq footage. Check payload, you’ll be close to maxed out. How do I know this? I have a 19ft travel trailer that weighs 3900 pounds dry.

There are a lot of ideas and thoughts floating around, take it or leave it, I wouldn’t tow more than 5000 pounds.
Thanks for the info. Do you tow your 19 ft. trailer with a Frontier?

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Are you new to towing? Are you used to towing back in the day when trucks were under powered and overloaded? (70s...80s).
A camper or toy hauler is a giant sail. And modern trailers are built light and big. When towing you need to keep your speed down. A light trailer (compared with its surface area) will toss a light truck around. Like said above, know your frontal area.
6k lbs lumber on a utility trailer is far different towing than 6k rv trailer.
Make sure you have trailer brakes and weight dist hitch.
Theres alot of threads here about towing. Just need to search. I suggest DuckDuckGo. Forum search is broken

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
This is why I went from a Frontier to a Titan, I prefer to stay under 2/3 of towing capacity and not make the truck struggle. Remember if a trailer gets out of control so does the tow vehicle and should the trailer flip almost always the tow vehicle does too.
Bottom line is it’s all about being safe and if there is a wreck and your not safely towing you will get charged for that too.
Good luck.

Clint

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Empty weight is just that, empty. It is amazing how fast you add weight putting stuff in a camper. It's all light, but there is so much of it. Empty really means empty, no water in the tanks, not even a fill of propane. What's the GVW of the trailer? that's pretty close to what a lightly stocked camper really weighs. If not now, in a few years after you added all the little stuff to it. There are a lot on the road that are overloaded and they don't even know it.

Given that, you are probably still in the towing capacity of a Frontier. It's 6100 pounds, not 6500. The 6500 is a king cab 2WD, adding crew cab reduces 200 pounds and 4WD another 200 pounds. The combined weight is still the same, you just removed towing capacity by adding options to the truck. With that said, the more you put in and on the truck further reduces the towing capacity. The limiting factor is the Gross Combined Weight Rating, the total weight of everything moving down the road from the water in the cupholder to the fuel in the tank to the beer in the trailer, all the weight of everything.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you tow your 19 ft. trailer with a Frontier?
No, I currently tow with a 2005 2500 avalanche. Specs: 8600gvcw, 1,900 pound payload, 10,100 tow capacity, 8.1L vortec 340 hp, 440 tq. The avalanche tows my trailer with ease. I don’t get pushed around by the semi truck drafts, I can maintain 55mph on any grade in California. I’ve said it before, the frontier can and will tow my trailer, but a heavy duty does it so much better.

Short answer: your truck can do it. If you’re set on keeping the frontier, I’d go with the smaller trailer option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I currently tow with a 2005 2500 avalanche. Specs: 8600gvcw, 1,900 pound payload, 10,100 tow capacity, 8.1L vortec 340 hp, 440 tq. The avalanche tows my trailer with ease. I don’t get pushed around by the semi truck drafts, I can maintain 55mph on any grade in California. I’ve said it before, the frontier can and will tow my trailer, but a heavy duty does it so much better.

Short answer: your truck can do it. If you’re set on keeping the frontier, I’d go with the smaller trailer option.
Cool thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
I towed a 16 foot trailer that's dry weight was about 2500 pounds for a while. I had no issues with it and feel like I could have handled a bigger trailer with no problem. I did need a weight distribution hitch and sway control though. I started off without it but made the back of my truck squat too much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Towed a 1700 lbs fully loaded pop up for 3 years with my 2015 SV, I barely felt it, got 15-16mpg with it in tow, 60-65mph.
Traded both within 4 months and...
New truck 2019 pro4x with new trailer, 2019 wolf pup 16bhs, says it’s 3800lbs loaded. It does fine on flat roads, going into mountains, Franconia Notch NH, for example, it did adequate, (meaning, no slower than the slower truck/RV combo you see on any major tourist roads) but could use a little more.
Not sure if an IMS would do much, but wouldn’t mind giving one a try, along with a freer flowing exhaust. Any input from fellow members regarding IMS use and towing? Changing the torque curve to be higher lower will help tow conditions

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2007 Frontier SE 4x4 and want to get a 19 to 24 foot RV trailer. The Frontier's rated towing capacity is 6500 lbs. The weight of these trailers is usually around 3500 lbs. Does anyone have any experience towing a trailer like this with the Frontier? I'm new to the RV world and really don't want to have to get a different truck.
I pull an 18ft boat with no issues its about 188 to 2000 lbs. full. I've seen a frontier where i live pulling a 19ft travel trailer believe it was a minnie winnie. wasn't struggling at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I pull a 3380-pound camper with a 2018 pro 4 x and I feel like I should have bought a bigger camper I was wondering if anyone has pulled 5000 with one I also keep mine pretty empty

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2019 crew cab sv v6 with factory class IV hitch and i tow a 20 ft kz 19 bh light weight thats 2650lb dry somwhere around 3000lb loaded and it does just fine. the trailer towing guide formula tables dont recomend anything over 3500lb and 14% tongue weight my trailer has 350lb tongue weight. if you want to be able to take a camper anywhere or any distance i would not exced this rating

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 16 CC 4wd sv. I tow a 21ft trailer. Dry weight of 4100. I have a add a leaf and rough country lift. IMO you MUST buy a quality weight distribution hitch(equalizer, fastway, etc.) to tow that size. Also, you’ll be spending some coin on the brake controller that is REQUIRED. Do not skip these parts. Install is Very easy for the brake controller. Plug and play. I have a tekonsha p3. If you buy the WD hitch from your trailer dealer, they will most likely install free. I have towed our 2018 trailer through the Allegheny mountains of PA and also some long treks into WV. These trucks are work horses. Please be cognizant of your tire ratings on your truck and your brake conditions. It’s not pulling, it’s stopping and keeping the sway controlled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 16 CC 4wd sv. I tow a 21ft trailer. Dry weight of 4100. I have a add a leaf and rough country lift. IMO you MUST buy a quality weight distribution hitch(equalizer, fastway, etc.) to tow that size. Also, you’ll be spending some coin on the brake controller that is REQUIRED. Do not skip these parts. Install is Very easy for the brake controller. Plug and play. I have a tekonsha p3. If you buy the WD hitch from your trailer dealer, they will most likely install free. I have towed our 2018 trailer through the Allegheny mountains of PA and also some long treks into WV. These trucks are work horses. Please be cognizant of your tire ratings on your truck and your brake conditions. It’s not pulling, it’s stopping and keeping the sway controlled.
Sorry my weight was incorrect. Here is the specs on my camper.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thx! I've been looking into the Forest River Nobo lines (mainly the 19.5 and 19.6). The 19.5 is smaller, lighter and single axle but the under bed storage makes me nervous that I'll end up over my payload rating in truck. The 19.6 is slightly longer, heavier with twin axle and should (in theory) be better at keeping tongue weights in check. Plan to run the Andersen WDH as it's lighter than the standard WDH's. The 19.6 is the one we (DW & I) like the best so far that's still in the weight class for the fronty. Just want to make sure we make the right choice before dropping 20K on something that looses half its value as soon as you leave the dealer! Lol.

Reactions: victumus
1 - 20 of 41 Posts