Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a trailer this week to start towing my race car to the track. I've had a few people tell me that I will have to get a brake a controller to tow safely.

The trailer is a Big Tex 60CH. It weighs 1600 lbs. My car weighs 2,250 lbs.

My friend who has owned 2 frontiers and works at Nissan's R&D facilty here in Arizona says I'll be fine without one as long as I drive conservatively. He's towed 3,000+ pound cars with an open trailer, to Utah and Socal a few times over a 2 year period. I tend to beleive him since he works with torturing these cars to the point of failure every day and because he has actually done with no ill effects to his fellow motorists or brake pads.

Any of you V6 guys done short hauls (30 miles or less) on the fwy with no brake controller?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Get a brake controller its safer. I've done it not worth it. if you have to panic stop it will burn right threw the pads also if your towing on a semi regular basis trailer brakes will save your truck brakes. I wont tow a car trailer with out them, prodigy makes a great product and hooks right into the OEM harness well worth it IMO

·
Super Moderator
12,392 Posts
Get a brake controller its safer. I've done it not worth it. if you have to panic stop it will burn right threw the pads also if your towing on a semi regular basis trailer brakes will save your truck brakes. I wont tow a car trailer with out them, prodigy makes a great product and hooks right into the OEM harness well worth it IMO
Theory is great until it becomes a reality and you can't stop in time.
If you get in a wreck and it's known there wasn't trailer brakes you will be held responsible and it will be expensive when you're sued.

Clint

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, game time decision. Since its my first time, loading it up, and with rush hour traffic, I'm going to hold off till next month. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Had a civic I used to tow all the time with no problems. You got any pics of the said civic? Here is mine :)
Here is a picture of mine at Buttonwillow last November for the Super Street Super Lap Battle time attack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I towed a 20' bass boat at about 4500 lbs. 1200 miles round trip from southern oregon to clearlake ca.Surge brake were inop at the time.(lots of steep hills)with a 06 4x4 cc. did fine both ways just watch for stupid people slamming on there brakes it can be fun stopping with out t/brakes.I say it can be done without a controler,just becareful

good luck jim

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just recently towed that same exact trailer. The Big Tex 60. However, I towed it empty and then we used my buddy's Hummer to tow the Cadillac we were after. Towed great empty!! I would never tow that much weight behind a midsize truck without trailer brakes. Sure you COULD, but safely? Not so much considering all the other drivers out there. It isn't an issue of can your truck do it. We all know the Frontier can and will do it. The question is, "Will I be able to stop quickly in an emergency if I have to?" Like previously stated, with all the sue-happy people out there and all the unsafe drivers it is not worth it. Please, use a safe set-up.

Hey, I'm just sayin'....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i would not do it without brakes... you have 3850 lbs pushing behind you, it's way more than half the weight of the truck. i would hate to be next to you when a semi passes and the draft sways your setup. good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Towing is easy, you could probably do 10,000 if the tongue wt. didn't put you down. Stopping is the question. You can't do it except for "normal" stopping where you can anticipate. You're gettin in over your head. Hit me and I'd sue your a$$ since you already know better from your post.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Let's put this into a perspective that might mean something:

Sure, you can have intercourse without a condom (tow heavy load without brakes). You can tell yourself that you'll be able to pull out (stop) in time. Wouldn't want to be the one behind the child support payments (law suits) if you didn't pull out (stop) in time.

Can it be done? Sure, it can. Eventually though, the gun will go off and there will be a round in the chamber.

Carry on....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Under 3000# you'd be fairly safe - over 3000# you need brakes to be safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great feedback all. Thanks for your opinions on both options.

I ended up just packing my race car up and will drive it to the track tomorrow. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Great feedback all. Thanks for your opinions on both options.

I ended up just packing my race car up and will drive it to the track tomorrow. Better safe than sorry.
Smart move! Thanks from all who travel our roads.

·
Super Moderator
12,392 Posts
I know you changed your mind but......
I was thinking about one thing. If you towed the car without brakes think about how much money and time you have invested in both vehicles you'd lose in a wreck and that doesn't include anyone getting hurt.

Clint

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I did a quick search and found brake controllers from 59$ - 139$. For that cheap, why is it even a question. Your safety and your car and truck are worth a lot more than a 139$

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.