Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to upgrade our pop up camper to a hybrid and are concerned about towing weight. Our current pop up weighs in around 35-3800 loaded. My 2018 v6 frontier sv 4x4 crew cab has no issues pulling this, but the Roo UVW is listed at 5047 (548 hitch weight). I have to be approaching the limit but is this too much for my truck? I have electric breaks and would be willing to get a WD hitch (currently class 3 standard)

thanks

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
the Roo UVW is listed at 5047 (548 hitch weight)
Is that the "dry" weight, or the weight as typically loaded?

Also, RV manufacturers tend to lie about their products' weights - The actual weights are NEVER less than what is advertised, and are often considerably more.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So you'll need to also add the weight of at least several dozen gallons of fresh water, 40 pounds of propane, yourself and any passengers (plus their clothing and other personal possessions)...

And then you need to assume that the manufacturer's advertised dry weight is actually accurate...

IMO, you're going to be right on the hairy edge of having too much trailer for your truck.

Reactions: garyshockley

·
Registered
29 Posts
Manufactures also tend to over state how much weight they can tow if hills are around , even a long grade 5% can burn up an automatic tranny . When you get close to the edge with weight you should also worry about balance of that load . I've watch more than a few tow rigs and trailers wagging there way down the road .

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Even at 35 - 3800 lbs I'd be using a WD hitch. I tow a 30' tt made by R-Vision, now defunct, that weighs in at 4410 dry. I've weighed it loaded and in comes in between 5100 and 5500.we try to keep. It down to the 5100 as often as we can. We don't bring any food or water. We always camp where water is available and purchase food once there. That alone saves 250-300 lbs. If we're going on vacation, we only bring clothes for 3 days. Most campgrounds have laundry facilities or you could go into town. Reaaly think about what you need and want to bring.
I do agree your new camper would likely be to much for your truck.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Even at 35 - 3800 lbs I'd be using a WD hitch. I tow a 30' tt made by R-Vision, now defunct, that weighs in at 4410 dry. I've weighed it loaded and in comes in between 5100 and 5500.we try to keep. It down to the 5100 as often as we can. We don't bring any food or water. We always camp where water is available and purchase food once there. That alone saves 250-300 lbs. If we're going on vacation, we only bring clothes for 3 days. Most campgrounds have laundry facilities or you could go into town. Reaaly think about what you need and want to bring.
I do agree your new camper would likely be to much for your truck.
Good luck.
+1, that's the ragged edge of stock brakes and transmission lifespan. If you were VK56 swapped and Pathfinder v8 brakes, I think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
2013 CC 4.0L 6MT
104 Posts
The frontal area (i.e. wind resistance) is going to come into play significantly more than with your pop-up, whose profile is lower than the height of the tow vehicle while in motion. That along with the weight being near the very top is going to make it a challenging pull. If you have the AT that will also add to the challenge. Monitor AT temperature, if applicable (e.g. ScanGauge), take it slow, use 89 octane, make sure your brakes are good and your brake controller is adjusted properly for the brakes on the camper. Take a filled five gallon gas can in the bed -- although it will add weight it will give you breathing room if you can't find a gas station when you need one. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The frontal area (i.e. wind resistance) is going to come into play significantly more than with your pop-up, whose profile is lower than the height of the tow vehicle while in motion. That along with the weight being near the very top is going to make it a challenging pull. If you have the AT that will also add to the challenge. Monitor AT temperature, if applicable (e.g. ScanGauge), take it slow, use 89 octane, make sure your brakes are good and your brake controller is adjusted properly for the brakes on the camper. Take a filled five gallon gas can in the bed -- although it will add weight it will give you breathing room if you can't find a gas station when you need one. Let us know how it goes.
This……

we tow a Jayco jayfeather sport 165, I intentionally searched for something very light (GVWR is 3500lbs) so try and keep plenty of cushion in order to not blow up my frontier. Problem is the frontal area is huge and the trailer much taller than the truck so wind resistance is a b***h. I’ve even considered getting rid of my truck for a full-size since our mpg is on par with one anyway but can’t because I love this platform so much.

that looks like a nice trailer but IMO too big for our trucks to comfortably pull especially for long distances.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The frontal area (i.e. wind resistance) is going to come into play significantly more than with your pop-up, whose profile is lower than the height of the tow vehicle while in motion.
Agreed. Haven't towed anything big/heavy with the Frontier, but I definitely needed to be more cognizant towing a 24' enclosed car hauler than towing a flatbed car hauler with my F-250. I could do 85mph with the car on the flatbed and barely feel anything, whereas the enclosed started getting noticeable at 50mph. I rarely exceeded 65mph.

Towed the 24' once or twice with my F-150. If I was going across town it'd be okay, but LA to SLC? Forget about it.

I am also of the belief that the tow vehicle should be able to safely tow the trailer with a standard weight-carrying hitch. In my opinion, weight-distributing is nice, but needing it to be within the tow limit can be an indicator that you need a more capable tow vehicle.

I put a cheap WD hitch on the enclosed and it made a noticeable difference in handling and stability, but I'd disconnect it if it was windy or I knew I needed to make a lot of tight turns.

·
Registered
2019 CC 4x4 SV
146 Posts
This……

we tow a Jayco jayfeather sport 165, I intentionally searched for something very light (GVWR is 3500lbs) so try and keep plenty of cushion in order to not blow up my frontier. Problem is the frontal area is huge and the trailer much taller than the truck so wind resistance is a b***h. I’ve even considered getting rid of my truck for a full-size since our mpg is on par with one anyway but can’t because I love this platform so much.

that looks like a nice trailer but IMO too big for our trucks to comfortably pull especially for long distances.
My thoughts exactly. Our camper is only 3k lbs dry, but that frontal area gets me. Plus mine is corrugated aluminum, which doesn't help any. I just keep my speed around 65 and it's fine if there's no head wind. 55 and below it handles great. 65 is where I seem to start hitting the wall.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Our camper is only 3k lbs dry, but that frontal area gets me. Plus mine is corrugated aluminum, which doesn't help any. I just keep my speed around 65 and it's fine if there's no head wind. 55 and below it handles great. 65 is where I seem to start hitting the wall.
Drag increases with the square of speed, so yes, a 5MPH jump may be much more than it seems, and 10MPH, no questions. Which is why its taking 1600 to 1950HP to get hypercars up to 295 - 330MPH, the aerodynamic forces at those speeds far eclipse every other factor combined.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,906 Posts
We shopped-around extensively before purchasing our Jayflight SLX 7 174BH Baja Edition. At some point in the process I stopped paying any attention to dry weight and started focusing solely on GVWR. Trouble was many of the units I was interested in appeared to have dry-weights that seemed reasonable but GVWR specs that were not.

I wouldn't personally buy a travel trailer with a GVWR over 5000#. We kept ours to 3500#.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I am also of the belief that the tow vehicle should be able to safely tow the trailer with a standard weight-carrying hitch. In my opinion, weight-distributing is nice, but needing it to be within the tow limit can be an indicator that you need a more capable tow vehicle.
Purely from a convenience standpoint, it's nice not having to deal with a weight-distributing hitch every time you hitch or unhitch the trailer - Makes the process a lot quicker and easier.

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Super Moderator
11,528 Posts
I think that puts you into the 1/2 ton truck category. You’d be too close to the maximum.

Clint

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
212 Posts
Not at all related to towng, but I heard that the parent company of Jayco and Airststream - Thor Industries, is completley sold out of models thru 2023. Curious as to what the OP ends up finding, as I'm contemplating a small 3000 GVW model.

·
Registered
2019 CC 4x4 SV
146 Posts
I was looking into a couple slide-ins for my truck. Most were a year out wait. Wife bought used one yesterday. Going to have to buy or build a half ton now. It's too much for the Frontier.

·
Super Moderator
11,528 Posts
I was looking into a couple slide-ins for my truck. Most were a year out wait. Wife bought used one yesterday. Going to have to buy or build a half ton now. It's too much for the Frontier.
At a minimum I’d only tow with a crew cab long bed as the longer wheelbase makes the truck more stable.

Clint

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
We have been told the same thing. We're wrestling with a tow-behind and would we have enough usable vacation time ( whats on the books is irrelevant if you're too busy to use it, I have over 5 weeks banked now ), and what price point, weight class and floor plan we want. Every dealer told us a minimum of six months out if we ordered that day, which right now would put us at about Christmas. We may buy used or just intermittently rent for a few years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at the 19QBS IBEX from Forest River. GVWR is 4795lbs. I'm not sure if that size would suit you, but it looks to be a nice option.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts