Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 09 Fronty LE with the tow package. I have a fully stuffed trailer with mainly home goods and loaded the majority of the heavy stuff towards the nose of the trailer. Any tips for towing a trailer this size and weight? How fast should I go? Should I turn the hitch upside down or leave it in the drop position? The trailers bearings were recently repacked and the tires are about new and I aired them up to just under 50 psi, is that right?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
A 6x10 shouldn't be too heavy, so you shouldn't have any problems at all. How fast you go depends on the trailer (mostly the tires), and the pressure in the tires depends on the tires themselves. You should have your hitch in whatever position has the trailer level.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Do NOT exceed the max psi listed on the trailer tire sidewall. Just FYI. All of the second gen Frontiers are wired from the factory for towing, even if they don't come with the hitch. They also come with the various external fluid coolers. All you gotta do is add the hitch and a relay that plugs into the harness behind the passenger kick panel. There is no true optional tow package.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
if you have time to reload it I would try and even the load out. If you can pick up the front with a bit of muscle it is about right. You don't want all the weight on the tongue but you want more before than after the axle and yes, do your best to keep it level. I pulled the same size from Oakland to LV 5 times with a 4 banger Frontier. It was a bit much for the 4 so I switched to my Xterra and it was like it was not even back there. You will be fine unless you loaded the trailer over the weight limit for it which might have your axle bend or make your tires blow after they get hot. Also, years ago I drove a car through Nevada back to Canada and blew up a snow tire in central Nevada. It was 35 lbs when I left Oakland and when I heard the tread flapping it was 62 lbs. I dropped them all to what they should be, but that still blew out about 50 miles later. I would check all the tires a few hours into the drive each day and let some out if needed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heyguys so I made it close to 400 miles and the trailer is set up even and tires psi is 48. max cold psi on tire says 50.

Everything went well except towards the end of the trip I noticed it revving at 3500 or so and looked down and it was in D3. I always just put it in D so not sure how it ot there but did that damage anything?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You should have overdrive turned off. This will stop the transmission from hunting for gears, mostly 4th and 5th gear.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
after towing with a half ton ill never tow more than a mower with the frontier. completely different experiences.

and i hauled a grand cherokee on 1 tons though some mountains with the frontier. hahahah cant believe the **** we can get away with on these trucks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Glad to have you joining the great state of TEXAS and glad you made 400 let us Texans know when your settled here I'm about a bill NE of Dallas
But first don't try and go the speed limit on interstate IDK what your weight it is.
But always turn off OD towing anything that large or heavy youll be sitting on side of road either sticking your thumb in the air or in your A$$ cause youll risk buying a lot more than what it would of cost to rent a uhaul or ryder truck
6x10 can be 2 different animals
single/double axle?
do you have brakes? if so are they electric hydraulic?
Hitch mount flip it,buy another receiver or not how does sit loaded on the way you have it does it look like a V a pyramid or is it level you want level lol
Trailer attached is your rear bottomed?

I have towed a 6x12 uhaul loaded front to back top to bottom with crap in bed from ny to dallas after my dad past tried speed limit was brick wall and got less than 10m gal slowed to 55 and averaged around 15 rest of trip even through over the hills. Also I tow a aluminum 20' carhauller with a cut and shredder out east to maintain some land but its only 100m each way I am at 5k give or take depending on fuel or if I take the boxblade but I put in spring helpers LT tires have electric brakes and pretty much stay off the interstate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like you made it! As already covered above, trailer should be level, check trailer tires/bearings (for heat) at every stop, check chains/wires, lights, and check that the load is secure. I towed a 6'x10' flatbed loaded with a living room suit and bedroom suit about 250 miles when I'd had my truck a week. The bed was full, as was the back seat. Kept it out of O/D and kept speed under 65 (I wasn't 100% sure about the trailer tires, little bit of dry-rot). Avg MPG was 16.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I made it to Dallas and the truck averaged anywhere from 12.5 to 15.5 MPG. The first 325 miles of the trip I towed with OD on bc I did not know and it seemed to do alright. Did I harm anything on the tranny this way?

The rest of the trip I had OD off. The truck seems to be driving fine but I am nervous now I did damage to the tranny...

Also the truck did a weird thing when towing up hills where cruise control would shut off totally going up steeper hills. anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you weren't constantly feeling it kick in an out of OD.
If it helps you feel better and your frontier will like you more for it you could drop few extra $ and change out your fluid now the filter I do not know or if that needs changing I brought a kit at Napa for the gasket which came with the filter but I didn't replace it.
That's decent mpg enclosed is not very aerodynamic really your pulling what amounts to a rolling wall. that's right around what I averaged after slowing it down to around the 60's
I didn't have that happen with the cruise but did have it kick off a few coming across one time in Arkansas the roadway was so uneven where they hadn't paved it and couple of others places just remember that cause that part of the road was like riding a bucking bull

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you weren't constantly feeling it kick in an out of OD.
If it helps you feel better and your frontier will like you more for it you could drop few extra $ and change out your fluid now the filter I do not know or if that needs changing I brought a kit at Napa for the gasket which came with the filter but I didn't replace it.
That's decent mpg enclosed is not very aerodynamic really your pulling what amounts to a rolling wall. that's right around what I averaged after slowing it down to around the 60's
I didn't have that happen with the cruise but did have it kick off a few coming across one time in Arkansas the roadway was so uneven where they hadn't paved it and couple of others places just remember that cause that part of the road was like riding a bucking bull
Yea I never pushed it hard while towing and always kept it at 65 or under unless it was flat smooth roads or downhill. I do not recall it hunting for gears a lot either and with that much weight I doubt it would ever hit 5th anyway would it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the tranny fluid this morning and it looks clean and clear and does not smell burnt. Am I worrying over nothing about towing with OD on for 5 hours and 325 miles.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
yes.
there is no filter on our transmissions, its a simple screen. do not waste your money.
5th gear isnt any weaker, od is made to keep the trucks motor/trans in a constant state of power so it doesnt fall on its face while hunting for gears. edit-it also from what i know keeps it from overheating too? idk about that something i thought i heard.

also your truck didnt have enough power to maintain speed in current gear without harshly downshifting, thats why your cruise likely cut. not say its exactly the reason, but im a betting man.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts