Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at enclosed trailers and i want to get a 7x14. i might be able to get away with a 6 foot wide one but the additional foot with help alot...what im wondering is if anyone has towed a 7 foot wide trailer and can see around the side of it with the mirrors. if not do they make the clamp on extended side mirrors for our trucks?

btw i have a 2007 ccse

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
im looking at enclosed trailers and i want to get a 7x14. i might be able to get away with a 6 foot wide one but the additional foot with help alot...what im wondering is if anyone has towed a 7 foot wide trailer and can see around the side of it with the mirrors. if not do they make the clamp on extended side mirrors for our trucks?

btw i have a 2007 ccse
You will also have a larger front area to create drag and kill your mileage. When I had my Titan it towed like a bear, your Frontier may struggle with it. I have a 5X8 enclosed trailer and tow with the Frontier but don't know if I'd go up to 7 ft wide. Can you go to a trailer dealer and put your truck in front of it to see what your mirrors allow? I imagine you'd see enough to get by.
I would think you'd be fine with 6 ft. Good luck.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I have 6x12 enclosed trailer and I personally wouldn't want to pull anything wider. I had to angle the mirrors out from where I usually have them set so I could see far enough back to know if I could change lanes. I personally would not tow a 7' wide trailer without some kind of extension on the mirrors. I don't think you will be able to see down the side of the trailer making it somewhat unsafe. That's just my opinion but I agree with Clint, getting a trailer hooked up behind the truck is the only way to know for sure. If you find some mirror extensions that fit our trucks let us know.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have towed a 7x16 enclosed trailer with 3 quads plus gear, tools, etc.. with no problem at all.

Get a good brake controller.
Load the trailer properly.
Drive like your towing a trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tow a 7ft wide camper without side mirrors. You cannot see down the side of the trailer, but you can see enough to get by. I am looking into a set of clamp-ons.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
I tow a 7ft wide camper without side mirrors. You cannot see down the side of the trailer, but you can see enough to get by. I am looking into a set of clamp-ons.
Thanks for the honesty by saying you can't see down the side very well. Not being sarcastic or picking on you specifically, but I hope anyone in this situation has a one million dollar insurance umbrella policy because in an accident your going to get hammered for driving a rig without tow mirrors.
These days everybody is lawsuit happy.

Clint

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is the total sq. ft. of frontal area of your trailer? My 2013 Owner's Manual says not to tow anything over 60 sq. ft.!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I tow a Triton TC-16 snowmobile trailer which is a 7x16. Info here (though they have changed the name to TC167 its the same thing: Triton TC167 is a narrow width enclosed trailer for easier towing and more room. Also see my attached picture. Fully loaded with two sleds, riding gear, etc this trailer comes in about 2700 pounds loaded.

To tell you the truth, up until now I used to haul this with a Ford Escape (don't lagh, it worked). So for me, pulling it with the Frontier seems light years better. But really, the Frontier doesn't have the slightest problem pulling this. I think aerodynamics of a trailer this size has more to do with things than weight. The empty trailer is pretty lite at 1065 pounds (its all aluminum except the plywood bed). I think that when empty, its side surface area is pretty large compared to its weight making it a bit squirrelly in cross winds. But with at least one sled in it (it holds two in a staggered configuration, one up to the nose and the other kind of centered over the axle) it settles right down - actually easier to pull loaded than empty - which is why I brought up aerodynamics.

I would agree with the others that the only real problem is visibility. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I tried the strap on helper mirrors on the Escape and didn't have a lot of luck with them. The were a real PITA to get adjusted just right so they would work. Of course I was usually doing it by myself where if you had a helper it would be easier. By yourself, its a pain to get the passenger side mirror adjusted.

As far as gas mileage, I can't really say yet because I've only towed the trailer a couple of times taking the sleds in for pre-season maintenance and bringing them home again. But overall I feel like I made a really great choice in the Frontier for towing this load. BTW this is the heaviest and biggest thing I ever need to tow. When we are taking four sleds, we use my brother in law's rig. Has a full size RAM and a four place trailer.:machinegunner::machinegunner:

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
These trucks tow well, I have about 4,500 towing miles on this truck right now with a number of loads. Aerodynamics are huge, I can pull a 5,000lbs car on trailer combo easily and get 18.5mpg, yet I get 11.5 towing my 6x10 camper.

Go with the 6fter, 7ft is just too much drag.

·
Registered
336 Posts
These trucks tow well, I have about 4,500 towing miles on this truck right now with a number of loads. Aerodynamics are huge, I can pull a 5,000lbs car on trailer combo easily and get 18.5mpg, yet I get 11.5 towing my 6x10 camper.

Go with the 6fter, 7ft is just too much drag.
Towing 5,000 lbs and 18.5 mpg? Wow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
503 Posts
Towing 5,000 lbs and 18.5 mpg? Wow.

Like he said its all about the aerodynamics. For example with my Ford Escape I used to get 24 - 25 MPG when not towing. Towing my jet ski which was about 1100 pounds including a full tank of gas and the trailer I would still get 22 - 23. But towing the 7x16 snowmobile trailer empty, which s about the same weight, it would drop to 15 at best (like with a tail wind). Still the Frontier tows the 7x16 just fine and for my usage (snowmobiles) less than 7' wide doesn't work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Like he said its all about the aerodynamics. For example with my Ford Escape I used to get 24 - 25 MPG when not towing. Towing my jet ski which was about 1100 pounds including a full tank of gas and the trailer I would still get 22 - 23. But towing the 7x16 snowmobile trailer empty, which s about the same weight, it would drop to 15 at best (like with a tail wind). Still the Frontier tows the 7x16 just fine and for my usage (snowmobiles) less than 7' wide doesn't work.
I fully understand aerodynamics, but weight plays a huge roll too. Otherwise my semis would be getting the same fuel economy whether empty or loaded using the same enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I tow a small horse trailer. 6'9 wide inside (6'11' outside) that's ok if you don't do alot of town, or line changes. I've that trailer since 2008. With 5500lbs total weight, I do 23L/100km average (10mpg) at 65-70 mph. Front wind is realy hard...
And yes, drag is impressive. But truck do it fine. Don't hard to climb a 10% grade 2 miles hill at 65 mph. In fact, I can reach 72-75 mph. But why stress engine/trany??

There is a bolt on extending tow mirror in australia. Very nice product, with realy large mirror and convex bottom part. But cost alot!.

for more info feel free to ask!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts