Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2001 crew cab with the short bed.

stumbled upon a 5th wheel at an auction I had to buy.

it's only a 21' and I paid to have it towed but i'm wondering if anyone has attempted to do this with their frontier?

if I put the hitch directly over rear wheels i won't be able to turn but.... maybe.... if I pulled off the tailgate and set it back farther??????

the trailer is fairly light , just not sure.... any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
No way I'd ever even consider it. Do some research then go buy a new truck, one actually capable of pulling a fifth wheel.

What is it anyway? a camper? If so, exactly how heavy is "fairly light?"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a 21ft 5th wheel camper, i found a post here where a guy is towing a 19ft without any issues ... 21' would be a lil bit heavier ???? yea I bought the 5th will just to sell it but it's sooo nice I feel like i should keep it..lol

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That's a second gen, totally different truck. It's a little bigger and has more power. I still wouldn't do what that guy does. Your trailer is even bigger.

If you placed the king pin like you wanted to behind the axle that far it would be impossible to handle. They need to be over the centerline of the axle or forward in most situations. Not to mention these trucks are underpowered as it is and braking would be a total nightmare.

Keep it sure, but do yourself, your family, the Frontier, and everyone around you a favor and just buy a truck that can handle it.

Don't be this guy: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=61268

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I'll probly just sell the 5th wheel make some money.. maybe buy a lil canned ham to pull..

I was just curious

·
Registered
969 Posts
That thats the main benefit of the 5th wheel over the drive axle. The trailer does not have the leverage on the truck to pry on the truck. My dad is pretty hard core with his 5th wheel. He has air hitches on the truck and air ride on the pin on the trailer. Camper just floats back there. Hes towing a 42 foot toy hauler with a sky redline in the garage.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Yeah don't do it. People buy 1st gen frontiers to off road or occasional trips to the home depot.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's a second gen, totally different truck. It's a little bigger and has more power. I still wouldn't do what that guy does. Your trailer is even bigger.

If you placed the king pin like you wanted to behind the axle that far it would be impossible to handle. They need to be over the centerline of the axle or forward in most situations. Not to mention these trucks are underpowered as it is and braking would be a total nightmare.

Keep it sure, but do yourself, your family, the Frontier, and everyone around you a favor and just buy a truck that can handle it.

Don't be this guy: On The Lighter Side Of Hauling A Trailer - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts
No freakin way thats real. hahaha how could he turn?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
i wouldnt even think of pulling are 16 ' tandem axle trailer with one of the commercial mowers on the trailer with my truck. one reason is because the truck isnt all that big and really doesnt have much leverage. i cant even think of attempting with a 5th wheel

·
Registered
969 Posts
i wouldnt even think of pulling are 16 ' tandem axle trailer with one of the commercial mowers on the trailer with my truck. one reason is because the truck isnt all that big and really doesnt have much leverage. i cant even think of attempting with a 5th wheel
Thats why the 5th wheel is better than a bumper pull. The trailer does not have leverage on the truck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeah like everyone else says...don't do it. weight is the main thing i have found out w/ the 2nd gens. i know 5th wheels don't sway as much but if it does start to sway, it'll definitely move the truck around. you could probably find a used fullsize CC to use to just pull the 5th wheel when you are gonna use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure why your worried about intown pulling of a 16ft tandem with a commercial mower. I pulled a 7000lb dual axel 7 x 17 trailer from Vegas to Lubbock Tx no problem. All I added was the Nissan inertia senser to the factory tow package so the electric brakes on the trailer worked. The only issue was I encountered a dust storm with heavy cross winds in NM and TX made me pay close attention when being passed by a 18 wheeler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts