Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
997 Posts
Not “how much weight”, more “how often” will you need to tow it. Unless you’re dragging it around everywhere you go or taking 1,000 mile road trips every other Monday, you should be fine. Properly equipped, your truck is capable of towing that rig the distances you want to go. Don’t stress over it so much before you’ve even tried it.

Reactions: Freescaler

·
Registered
492 Posts
Personally, if I were to tow a camper that size I'd opt for a larger truck. We towed a camper quite a bit smaller than yours last year (2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 180BHS specs and literature guide, 3700# dry, 4900# GVWR), and while the truck handled it okay it was a lot of work on it during some of the climbs, and the gas mileage was horrendous (best 11 MPG, worst 7 MPG). We towed with very little water to lessen the weight. I would tow a similar camper again, but not on as long of a trip, and I'd install airbags in the rear before doing so.

One thing you have to remember is that any load you carry in the truck will reduce towing capacity, so passengers, gear in the bed, etc. will knock that down significantly. Even with almost no water, between my wife, daughter, and I, and the gear we carried in the truck, I was realistically over the 4900 pounds GVWR of the trailer - and possibly getting close to the 6300 pounds the truck is rated to tow.

Reactions: Freescaler

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not “how much weight”, more “how often” will you need to tow it. Unless you’re dragging it around everywhere you go or taking 1,000 mile road trips every other Monday, you should be fine. Properly equipped, your truck is capable of towing that rig the distances you want to go. Don’t stress over it so much before you’ve even tried it.
Don't stress until ya try it.. Great advice, I have been over thinking this. I should give it a try next weekend.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
I really appreciate everyone knowledge and helpfulness. Thank you.

I Hooked it up to the frontier today to relevel the travel trailer, without towing stabilizer and did not like how it felt.

So I feel I better get a 1/2 ton truck.
Even a 1/2 ton truck is going to tow like crap without an WD hitch. Set it up properly and try it. I have no issues and I tow 5.4K. I use an Equalizer hitch and brake controller.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Boat trailer Plant

Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

21 - 24 of 24 Posts