Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 23 ft Trailer Trailer with a bry weight of 5200lbs and full weight of about 6100.
I did get a weight distribution and stabilizer hitch.
So will my frontier pull this safely? Most my trips will be less than 50 to 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
What's your door tag say

Reactions: Grampy Matt

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
967 Posts
You’ll probably be fine. It won’t be necessarily fun towing that close to the limit, but if you’ve got experience towing I don’t see why you can’t. The truck is capable, but will be close to its limit. You didn’t mention a brake controller or trailer brakes, but I assume you have them. I wouldn’t tow that load without trailer brakes.

Reactions: Freescaler

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
941 Posts
from the 2019 owners manual which you can view at nissanusa.com
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Circle

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Frontier SV CCSB 4x4
831 Posts
Good thing it’s such a short trip bc anything longer and your trips would really suckkkkkkk. There’s a difference between could and should.

Could the frontier do it? Absolutely.
Should the frontier do it? (Over and over and basically at the max limit).. probably not..

you need a full-size my friend

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC 4x4
926 Posts
I haven't towed heavy with this Frontier yet. But I have towed heavy with the Jeep Gladiator as well as every "1/2 ton" full size on the market. 6,100 lbs. is a cake walk as long as you have trailer brakes and weight distribution to keep tongue weight in check. I pulled a 24' enclosed trailer @ 6,300 lbs. with the Gladiator regularly. It handled very good, and those trucks are known for "poor handling" if you read magazine reviews. I also noticed that if you look at the certificate of origin from the manufacturer, these midsize trucks are rated as 1/2 ton trucks. They are slightly smaller in stature obviously, but their ability to work is the same as a Ram 1500 or Chevy 1500.

I use the Curt Echo brake controller and the Husky Centerline TS hitch which has weight distribution and sway control. I can cruise at 70 with a huge trailer and it's like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not the best choice but if you do it mount the brake controller where you can easily reach it manually to lock up the trailer brakes. Get is set properly and do a dry run emergency stop to get a feel for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pull 5000 lbs with my Frontier. It lets me know I am dragging a travel trailer but generally does very well. Gas Mileage - (my last truck 1/2 ton got mileage which is normal when towing) , make sure you have an excellent brake controller, finally if you have never towed find an empty lot and practice. Oh and tires!

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC 4x4
926 Posts
I really appreciate everyone knowledge and helpfulness. Thank you.

I Hooked it up to the frontier today to relevel the travel trailer, without towing stabilizer and did not like how it felt.

So I feel I better get a 1/2 ton truck.
What didn't you like about how it felt? The full size trucks you mention only have marginally higher payload. I've seen many cases where they actually have less payload than a midsized truck.

If you're expecting the rear to not squat when you hook on a trailer you better step up to a HD truck. Like I already mentioned earlier, I've towed with every full size 1500 truck and lots of the midsized trucks and when towing they feel almost identical because they're all running spring rates to support 1,000 to 1,500ish lbs of payload.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What didn't you like about how it felt? The full size trucks you mention only have marginally higher payload. I've seen many cases where they actually have less payload than a midsized truck.

If you're expecting the rear to not squat when you hook on a trailer you better step up to a HD truck. Like I already mentioned earlier, I've towed with every full size 1500 truck and lots of the midsized trucks and when towing they feel almost identical because they're all running spring rates to support 1,000 to 1,500ish lbs of payload.
I am so on the fence now, after reading all this input. I feel once the towing stabilizer and weight distribution are installed and a good brake controller. This king cab might be a good fit. I really enjoy driving a mid size truck and if I can tow this travel trailer with it safely, that would be the best financial option and easiest.

So should I just try towing with my current 2019 V6 4x4 king cab for the summer?

Its weight is below Nissan spec by about 500 lbs.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I am so on the fence now, after reading all this input. I feel once the towing stabilizer and weight distribution are installed and a good brake controller. This king cab might be a good fit. I really enjoy driving a mid size truck and if I can tow this travel trailer with it safely, that would be the best financial option and easiest.

So should I just try towing with my current 2019 V6 4x4 king cab for the summer?

Its weight is below Nissan spec by about 500 lbs.
Give it a go. If your test drive did not include the WD and tow stabilizer than you are not giving it a fair evaluation.
You should also add something to beef up the rear leaf springs. Big fan of airbags.

How much do you tow. I know guys that drive 1 tons as their dailies because they need to tow their giant campers twice a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Give it a go. If your test drive did not include the WD and tow stabilizer than you are not giving it a fair evaluation.
You should also add something to beef up the rear leaf springs. Big fan of airbags.

How much do you tow. I know guys that drive 1 tons as their dailies because they need to tow their giant campers twice a year.
Dry weight is 5200lbs and max of 6200lbs.
Its a rockwood 2205S

1 - 20 of 24 Posts