Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
jacsxr7 said:
this company had a good price in this travel trailer and was the only size they have right now. they said they were going to get some 16' travel later in the year. price for this was 400 and change for five days. Considering the size the truck handled very good no problems what so ever. now i know how much this truck can carry with no problems. it was fun and easy

I would if this was my property:) I rent here and the owner is an a55. I'll let him know to do some work this weekend and every other weekend:noworries: it might take a while :)
where are you from? I see that rental company, in so cali, all the time...

·
Registered
272 Posts
1stNISSAN said:
where are you from? I see that rental company, in so cali, all the time...
I'm in South Gate, CA.. the rental company is in carson, about 15 to 20 minutes away. it was very convenient. they should be getting some 16' trailers in the future, that will be easier to tow.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
jacsxr7 said:
I'm in South Gate, CA.. the rental company is in carson, about 15 to 20 minutes away. it was very convenient. they should be getting some 16' trailers in the future, that will be easier to tow.
cool, i'm here in los angeles, where do you play your quads at?

·
Registered
460 Posts
J_L said:
I'm towing a 21' trailer that weighs close to 5k loaded, the hitch weight is around 400lbs. I use a distribution hitch though. Sure doesn't squat like those pictures.

Same here , I tow a Jayco 213 at a weight of 4200lbs and use a weight distribution hitch and I get maybe 1/2 inch squat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am not sure if I shoul be worrined or not, I just bought a Coachman Blast 150 toyhauler. The empty weight is 3400 punds (I added a few options so it may be a little more) Hitch weight is 550lb the overall length of the toy hauler is 18ft 9 inches. What do you guys think? I also live in the wonderful Rocky mountains and have a body lift as well as suspension lift. I was told that as long as I don't go over 80% of the max towing cap I should be fine pulling the toyhauler. I did get anti sway and the weight dist hitch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like your style man... I myself have an 05' R as well. In black of course. Never been to the dunes before, it might be fun one day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hitch weight is the key, my toybox empty is at 800pounds.

no, my dog was just happy to see me, and she was running toward me.

haha, the ranger is my neighbors. and it's a taxi, not a police car.:laugh:
my camper is 4750lbs, but 3930 at empty with propane, but sticker says 4400lbs rated.. so i tow camper for 70 miles alot of hilly terrians, i noitce engine revving about 2800rpm to 4500 rpm but level road about 2500 rpm.. gas mileage is about 11 but i like the fronty torque respond which i don't have to "floor it" wife wants upgrade our hybrid saw one with slide out weights about 6300lbs at 4800lbs with propane empty.. will it handle it only those hilly areas of Upstate NY

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been to a few RV shows looking at available options for my "16" Frontier KC
The wife and I want to spend a few years traveling to country, visiting the
national parks... etc. After looking around, I'd prefer a gooseneck, but I think
my truck could handle something like that if it had it's own braking system and
the truck had the right springs and airbag helpers. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi again I have jayco hybrid x20e weigh 4750 gvwr , i use weight distribution hitch helps alot from sagging. i know can handle 450lbs at hitch... but better control and less bouncy. first got fronty 2018 last year may has alot hwy mileage has now 38k miles on it. we drove to florida disney and back it was a good trip. now with pulling camper i can tell wind drag pulling it when driving in wind and more gas pedal down halfway going 65.. going up tough hill i don't push it hard but about cable maintain at 60 but watching temp rising on my OBD2link LX app rises to 205... since factory gauges don't rise much at all. and can feel it. Dealer uses MOBIL 1 only .. next change will put in ultimate penzoil plaitum engine was happy that time. anyways, drive was good can feel the torque and never "floored" pedal. still keeping truck love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We own a model 18RBE Grand Design travel trailer, fully loaded weight of 6000#. We use a weight distribution hitch, brake control system and electric brakes. My 2019 SV Crew Cab with the 4.0 liter and 5 speed transmission tows it well.. I have cruised all day at 60 MPH on mountains and plains, getting about 9-11 mpg, which drops to about 8 in a high headwind. Dropping the speed to 50 in the mountains and headwinds saves fuel. The Frontier SV can tow 6300 safely, and frankly I think its rated a bit conservatively. It is very stable in side winds, and importantly it can stop quickly even if the trailer brakes are disabled.

I don't know what the 2020 and 2012 new engine and transmission will do for towing, but I have exteeeeeeme doubts about how reliable these new design computer controlled transmission are for the first few years. I learned thru experience with Toyota - twice, 2003 and 2008. I would wait until year three for Nissan to get the kinks out. Just ask anyone who owned an early Rogue with the CVT transmission or the Jeep Cherokee when the 9 speed transmission came along. Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota have all had reliability issues with these things. Why should Nissian be different? Remember, the 7-9 gear transmissions are being installed to improve gas mileage, not power or reliability.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I don't know what the 2020 and 2021 new engine and transmission will do for towing, but I have exteeeeeeme doubts about how reliable these new design computer controlled transmission are for the first few years. I learned thru experience with Toyota - twice, 2003 and 2008. I would wait until year three for Nissan to get the kinks out. Just ask anyone who owned an early Rogue with the CVT transmission or the Jeep Cherokee when the 9 speed transmission came along. Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota have all had reliability issues with these things. Why should Nissan be different? Remember, the 7-9 gear transmissions are being installed to improve gas mileage, not power or reliability.
Waaay too many issues w/ the 9 & 10 speeds, & forget the CVT's, they're dead to me, I'll keep my 2014 til the fenders rot off. If it gets a new engine or transmission later in life, I'd see myself dollars ahead still.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
9 Posts
Waaay too many issues w/ the 9 & 10 speeds, & forget the CVT's, they're dead to me, I'll keep my 2014 til the fenders rot off. If it gets a new engine or transmission later in life, I'd see myself dollars ahead still.
that why i got rid of 2013 nissan pathfinder had issues twice , was good from 50 to 70k then problematic at 72k rebuilt replace worn parts, then failed us at 80k in same year.. CVT are garbage feel like smack them in head for CVT design or kill that person invented CVT's killed power on powerful 3.5 engine (300hp) but cvt drags down to 260 at 240 ft lbs toque,, my wife's kia soul doesn't have CVT i liked normal 6 speed... i hope CVT goes away and yes i heard about issues with more gears on tranny , 2019 and newer chevys have problems now with their tranny. they should kept using 4L60E best one ever made since. nowadays all garbage and problems. i rather go with manual old fashioned, everyone is being lazy for dirivng stick shift and starting to disappear how sad.. thankful to my old best friend teach me how drive stick, i rather go with manual looking for used one.. next time.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I’m still surprised my 13year old thread got revived from the dead and moved to the towing section that didn’t even exist back then!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts