Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Bazpro said:
Good Post. Well you have pushed me over the edge on painting my wheels. I have the same truck. They look greeeeeeeat.
haha, my pleasure!

675 triple said:
I'm with you on that one a distribution hitch would help alot not to mention 800lbs is more than max hitch weight and it looks to be a lifted truck, the center of gravity is higher now, wouldn't seem as safe as stock. not all toy haulers have heavy hitch weights, the manufactures have started to notice the need to build lighter haulers to be pulled by smaller trucks. I can see why it would be unwise to attempt to use a frontier on that hauler, it is heavy!! that is alot of hitch weight especially for dry.
generally speaking toyhaulers have greater hitch weights because of there purpose. The rear of the box is kept empty to accomdate ATVs, dirtbikes etc etc. While the front is crammed with all the living quarters and appliances: kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, frig., stove, microwave, etc etc. We had a ultra light 18' toyhauler with a dry weight of 3,800 pounds but the dry tongue was already 650pounds. BTW, i reccomend weight distribution, no matter what truck you tow with. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I should be towing a 23' travel trailer in about a week. i'll post pics on it when I get back from my trip. those pics scared me a bit.:comphead:
But i'll see what happens. later

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Wow....that is some sag...:)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Try it with a weight distributing hitch - i garentee it would sit pretty close to level...

tongue wieght on my trailor with the car on nose firsts puts the tongue wieght over 700lbs. Without a weight distributing hitch, my truck got within an inch of where you were before i decided going any further might break things... with the wieght distibuting hitch, no problems... Those hitches take a LOT of wiehgt and apply it to its springs...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
scuba91ta said:
Try it with a weight distributing hitch - i garentee it would sit pretty close to level...

tongue wieght on my trailor with the car on nose firsts puts the tongue wieght over 700lbs. Without a weight distributing hitch, my truck got within an inch of where you were before i decided going any further might break things... with the wieght distibuting hitch, no problems... Those hitches take a LOT of wiehgt and apply it to its springs...
i doubt the weight distribution hitch would make a difference. The tongue weight on this empty trailer is 800pounds, with out options. we have all the options! 4000watt genereator, A/C, full stereo system, subs and amp... double queen beds, 20 inch tv, 106 gallons of fresh water, 35 gallon fuel station, four stablizer jacks etc. etc. i'm sure the tongue weight is well over a 1000 pounds when fully loaded. I agree weight distribution will help, but not enough for this truck. luckily i don't have to tow this trailer with the fronty!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
a lot has to do with positioning of the load though... It's probably best that you dont have to, but i think you would be pretty surprised how much it helps, but as you've said, with extra load, it likely wouldn't help enough

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
scuba91ta said:
a lot has to do with positioning of the load though... It's probably best that you dont have to, but i think you would be pretty surprised how much it helps, but as you've said, with extra load, it likely wouldn't help enough
i agree, sux that toyboxes have 80% of the weight up front! the front is the bath/shower, kitchen, tv, generator..... you get the picture, everything! ahha:(

·
Registered
370 Posts
jacsxr7 said:
Here are some pics of me towing a 24' Travel Trailer. Unloaded Weight is a little bit under 5000lbs, tounge weight was 600lbs. used a weight distribution hitch. it was a good drive no problems, felt good driving.
:shock: Dang, im impressed, i never would of thought about loadin my fourwheeler up like that, but doesnt your leak gas when your is vertical? cause my YFZ-450 leaks gas when its like that, so we have to drain the gas when we change the oil

·
Registered
690 Posts
jacsxr7 said:
Here are some pics of me towing a 24' Travel Trailer. Unloaded Weight is a little bit under 5000lbs, tounge weight was 600lbs. used a weight distribution hitch. it was a good drive no problems, felt good driving.
wow...can you see out of your mirror's? Because I know thats gotta be a 24X8.5 wide. And be careful with cross winds with something that big and such a small truck.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
jacsxr7 said:
whoever set up the weight distribution did it wrong... bars should never pinch against the frame, the bars should be parallel with the trailer frame AND...... anyway i know you it's not your fault it's prolly the rental people's fault. nice tow, i'd personally not tow more than a 18' travel, and not more than a low pro 16' toybox. BTW how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
272 Posts
1stNISSAN said:
whoever set up the weight distribution did it wrong... bars should never pinch against the frame, the bars should be parallel with the trailer frame AND...... anyway i know you it's not your fault it's prolly the rental people's fault. nice tow, i'd personally not tow more than a 18' travel, and not more than a low pro 16' toybox. BTW how much did it cost you?
this company had a good price in this travel trailer and was the only size they have right now. they said they were going to get some 16' travel later in the year. price for this was 400 and change for five days. Considering the size the truck handled very good no problems what so ever. now i know how much this truck can carry with no problems. it was fun and easy

kris said:
Looks like you should have spent the weekend doing yardwork. :)
I would if this was my property:) I rent here and the owner is an a55. I'll let him know to do some work this weekend and every other weekend:noworries: it might take a while :)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts