Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have, the 2011/ V6. I've pulled a boat all over florida, no problems.
I want to drive to Anchorage dragging About 4k trailer. I wondered if anyone had any experience going through mountains. About 60k on the truck, changing out brakes, adding transmission cooler, shock upgrade and electric brakes.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It will be fine. Make sure you have good wheel bearings on the boat trailer. A pretty good credit card as you will be burning a good bit of fuel but that is expected.

·
Registered
976 Posts
make sure when towing that you can go the distance between gas stations on the Al-Can hyway.you might drop down to 8-10mpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Your trans temp will be the biggest thing to look out for if it is an auto. Having a temp gauge can save you a lot of heartaches.
Climbing a mountain at a slow speed where the torque converter is not locked can generate a lot of heat. Keep speeds over 35 if you can. I am not sure, but I was told TC only locks in 4th or 5th gear, not 3rd.. anyone???

Your motor will be fine. Fresh oil change and know that you should change oil sooner when putting this stress on motor as opposed to just driving around unloaded. Your rear diff will thank you for some fresh gear oil too, it will be under increased stress as well as the transfer case (in 4wd models).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Getting to pull a 18.5 foot camper with my 2013 Pro 4.
just did all fluids and DOT 4 Brake fluid and going to put new front break pads.

My question is, are we supposed to turn OD off while towing?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I would replace the transmission fluid and differential fluid. And if you are feeling frisky look into a XTP IMS.

·
Registered
202 Posts
TC does only lock in 4th and 5th gear. This truck likes to stay in 5th on a hill and just rev the rpm's up by unlocking the TC, so for most hills it is better to just turn O/D off at the bottom and let the gearing raise the rpm's and stay locked in the 4th gear as long as possible. The truck does this, my understanding, because it is less damaging (less wear) to the trans to unlock TC than to make a shift. Each time the trans makes a shift it wears the parts just a little bit more, where the TC is only generating heat, not wearing anything.
With the added weight of a trailer the TC will rev higher and make more heat. I can go from 150 to 180 pretty quick on a hill (2 mins).
If you can go up a small hill and keep it in locked 5th, then do so, but you cannot give it much gas or it will unlock. A downshift to 4th is not a big rpm jump (I think is about 300 rpm difference??), but an unlocked 5th could jump 500 or 1,000 rpm, so you can tell the difference just by rpm.
When I leave my hilly neighborhood I shift to 3rd to keep it from making as many shifts, there is a hill that requires 3rd and I never know will trans try to use unlocked 4th or just shift to 3rd... I keep it 3rd, keep TC from spinning so much too. So, use 3rd gear selection if the speed gets that low to keep the trans from trying to go 4th. This trans like to lug at low rmp too, power is at or above 2,000 rpm.
For you brakes you should be fine if the truck brakes work to begin with. The trailer has brakes and hopefully you are using a brake controller. The trailer should be doing enough braking to stop its own weight and all the truck does is stop its own weight. There should not be a huge amt of extra work required for the truck brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts