Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago I traded in my one ton cummins mega cab dually for a frontier because I have a baby on the way and wanted to down size and save some money, I've been wondering how the frontier would pull with a good sized load on it, so the other day I loaded up my gf's 13 Durango awd on the 16 ft trailer and took off, have to say I'm more than satisfied with how the little truck did, I was probably overweight by a fair amount, the Durango weighs 49** and had all kinds of **** on the inside for the baby so probably + 200-500 lbs more, the 16 foot trailer I'm guessing somewhere between 1100-1700lbs, and I'm sure I'll get flamed but whatever, I did this without trailer brakes. I'm now satisfied the frontier can do most everything I'll need it too, hopefully will be buying a travel trailer before long.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
dang that is a load. I like to see stuff like this. I over load my truck regularly. Have not had the opportunity to over tow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If anyone here has ever owned, lived or worked on a farm, they know any farm truck is W-A-Y overused. I've had and driven quite a few... And, I'd never buy a used farm truck. They've been used, abused and are very, very tired. :-D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was growing up One of my grandpas friends used to pull a 24ft cattle trailer with a Toyota pickup, I've seen some crazy stuff, any serious farm work will be saved for my dads cummins lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pulled a loaded 6x12 tandem axle trailer from OH to TN last weekend with the CC 4x4 Frontier, weighed about 8400 pounds (truck and trailer combined) - lots of hills in KY and averaged 12.4 MPG never went more the 73/74 MPH. It cruised & handled very well; would turn off the OD on the transmission when the hills came along - but on the flats it was holding 71/72 MPH with around 2200 to 2300 RPMs.

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
How badly were your brakes fading when trying to stop?

Clint

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if you was talking to me or not but I didn't notice any fade but the load would scoot the truck if you braked hard, if I was going a long distance I'd get a brake controller

·
Registered
374 Posts
If anyone here has ever owned, lived or worked on a farm, they know any farm truck is W-A-Y overused. I've had and driven quite a few... And, I'd never buy a used farm truck. They've been used, abused and are very, very tired. :-D
I have used mines sometimes as a farm truck, but I know what it's limits are lol::grin:: I bought mines with the intention of a work truck but it seems to me my truck is becoming a farm truck ::laugh::::laugh::

So about a month ago I traded in my one ton cummins mega cab dually for a frontier because I have a baby on the way and wanted to down size and save some money, I've been wondering how the frontier would pull with a good sized load on it, so the other day I loaded up my gf's 13 Durango awd on the 16 ft trailer and took off, have to say I'm more than satisfied with how the little truck did, I was probably overweight by a fair amount, the Durango weighs 49** and had all kinds of **** on the inside for the baby so probably + 200-500 lbs more, the 16 foot trailer I'm guessing somewhere between 1100-1700lbs, and I'm sure I'll get flamed but whatever, I did this without trailer brakes. I'm now satisfied the frontier can do most everything I'll need it too, hopefully will be buying a travel trailer before long.
All I have to say is: :surprise:

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not bad at all - in fact, I didn't notice any deterioration in braking at all. But, I was careful and did "coast" before planned stops to slow down before braking. I did not have any "panic" stops.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Towing a UHaul trailer and boat (not at the same time...)

I towed a loaded (and I do mean loaded) 6x12 tandem axle UHaul trailer about 800 miles from GA to VA and it did it without a hitch (probably a poor choice of words but you know what I mean). Averaged about 12 mpg as has been stated other places too. One interesting observation, for a couple of gas tanks after the tow my mileage sucked, stayed sub 14 mpg. Reset the ECM (instructions found on this board) and within a tank it was back up to normal.

This past weekend I used it to tow and dip/pull a friends 23 foot center console boat. Not sure what the tow weight was but I'm sure with the boat/trailer, full gas tank and a boat load of crap (it was used to ferry gear back and forth, not people) it was right at the rated tow weight. Spun the wheels a tad on the ramp but pulled it out like a champ and no issues going back and forth to the house from the launch. Also, when the boat was hooked up the back end didn't even squat a bit.

Very pleased with the way it performed.

2015 SV CC 4x4 V6

·
Registered
795 Posts
I towed a loaded (and I do mean loaded) 6x12 tandem axle UHaul trailer about 800 miles from GA to VA and it did it without a hitch (probably a poor choice of words but you know what I mean). Averaged about 12 mpg as has been stated other places too. One interesting observation, for a couple of gas tanks after the tow my mileage sucked, stayed sub 14 mpg. Reset the ECM (instructions found on this board) and within a tank it was back up to normal.

This past weekend I used it to tow and dip/pull a friends 23 foot center console boat. Not sure what the tow weight was but I'm sure with the boat/trailer, full gas tank and a boat load of crap (it was used to ferry gear back and forth, not people) it was right at the rated tow weight. Spun the wheels a tad on the ramp but pulled it out like a champ and no issues going back and forth to the house from the launch. Also, when the boat was hooked up the back end didn't even squat a bit.

Very pleased with the way it performed.

2015 SV CC 4x4 V6
If you noticed worse mileage, you probably needed to run premium gas. I'm betting you started getting knock and the engine detuned itself to stop the knocking, at the cost of some mileage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts