Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SV LWB 4x4
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a rental Kubota from Home Depot on their trailer. They way they set the trailer to be loaded it has 500# tongue weight and the front tandem takes better than half of the remaining load. Trailer was equipped with surge brakes and both the trailer and machine were brand new. Truck did squat, but not as badly as shown in the pic. The squat pictured is exaggerated by being parked on a hill. It's 23 miles to the store. Not mountainous by any measure but has a few long hills on the route. Ran her in 4th and she moved right along. Granted, you knew the trailer was there, but no swaying or butt puckering moments. Ran 65mph the whole time on the highway. I'm honestly impressed with the stability considering how short the trailer is. Also, I'm aware this is a very aerodynamic load and doesn't equate to towing a travel trailer at speed. Tires are load range E and I had them at 45psi.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Plant

·
Registered
2017 SV LWB 4x4
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang, that's a nice looking truck!
I tow heavy on the regular with my 2019 CCSB. They can get it done.
Thanks bud! I like it to look stock enough that those who don't know don't notice but those that know are like "...nice". 👍

·
Registered
2018 Pro4X, ADO parabolic leafs, AFE CAI and CBE, BFG AT's, Decked drawers, Softtopper, Yakima rack.
4 Posts
Bought a Rockwood Roo 21SS when I got back from deployment last summer. Its around 4500#, I don't usually tow with water, but we have a lot of gear plus I have the Decked drawer system in the back plus a heavy a$% Husky WDH. The drag from the big face is what it is, I know its out of specs for my Fronty. So far the farthest I've towed is from San Diego to Idyllwild and it did pretty well going up the mountain roads, no overheating but crappy mpg (7-8). I have a 2.5 inch ready lift and Timbrens in the back. I'm thinking about swapping the giant bumpstops (Timbrens) out for Firestone air bags to reduce the squat and I've seen other folks talk about an Anderson WDH which may be lighter...? I don't want to have to go up to a 1/2 ton but am slightly nervous about stuff like towing over the mountains from San Diego in the summer, going up from PHX to Flagstaff, or longer trips up to Colorado. Is there any other recommendations for towing this type of load?

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^The wind drag will be a lot less significant at low speeds - So best strategy is just to accept the fact that sometimes, you're going to be in the pokey lane.

Take your time.

BTW - Welcome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought a Rockwood Roo 21SS when I got back from deployment last summer. Its around 4500#, I don't usually tow with water, but we have a lot of gear plus I have the Decked drawer system in the back plus a heavy a$% Husky WDH. The drag from the big face is what it is, I know its out of specs for my Fronty. So far the farthest I've towed is from San Diego to Idyllwild and it did pretty well going up the mountain roads, no overheating but crappy mpg (7-8). I have a 2.5 inch ready lift and Timbrens in the back. I'm thinking about swapping the giant bumpstops (Timbrens) out for Firestone air bags to reduce the squat and I've seen other folks talk about an Anderson WDH which may be lighter...? I don't want to have to go up to a 1/2 ton but am slightly nervous about stuff like towing over the mountains from San Diego in the summer, going up from PHX to Flagstaff, or longer trips up to Colorado. Is there any other recommendations for towing this type of load?

View attachment 348912
Thanks for the post. I am in the process of changing out the suspension to help set up for future towing and am curious of others experiences.

·
Registered
2018 Pro4X, ADO parabolic leafs, AFE CAI and CBE, BFG AT's, Decked drawers, Softtopper, Yakima rack.
4 Posts
Ronow072, the soft top is great, love it. Since I have the Decked drawers in the back the softopper allows me to use more of the bed space. Just received the All Dogs Offroad parabolic leaf springs (mine are completely flattened) and Bilstein 5125s so I'll be installing those soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice! I have thought about the set up with a soft topper and the Decked drawers, I just can't decide and am just waiting to see what life brings for my needs. I did just purchase a All Dogs set up as well and will be installing next week.

This **** never ends. haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I finally got the All Dogs Offroad parabolic leafs, Bilstein 5100s, AFE cat-back, and AFE CAI installed and HOLY COW, they made a huge difference, not just chirp'n tires but actually towing performance. The ride is smooth and there is minimal squat. I already have 350-400lbs riding in the bed at all times (that is what they are designed for; RTTs, laden cargo racks, stuff like that) and I ended up with a slight nose rake. The parabolics give you 2 - 2 1/2 inches of rear lift so I removed the Ready Lift shackles and replaced them with stock size OME greasables.

This is what the squat looked like before the ADO parabolics.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

Automotive tire Tire Tread Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

I'm thankful to be able to use the auto hobby shop on MCAS Miramar and was able to install everything in about 4 hours, no experience (although I have spend the last 27 years working in Navy enginerooms).
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Once I had everything installed and torqued I had to take it to get an alignment and had the shop check all my suspension components.

Automotive parking light Sky Wheel Tire Cloud

Was able to hook up the trailer yesterday, 4500lb dry (probably closer to 5000 with what I have in it) and towed from Wildomar, CA (south of Riverside, CA) to San Diego, CA. Long steep pulls, several big hills on that route, traffic moving at 70-80, outside air temp around 80. Here are my real world observations towing with these aftermarket items installed.
-My Timbren bump stops that I re-installed on the parabolics are now useless, the frame comes nowhere close to hitting them.
-The ride was very smooth
-Before the CBE and CAI, towing through those same mountainy hills, I'd be at 4000 rpm (OD off) to maintain 55 mph going up. Now, I was between 3250 and 3500 rpm holding steady at 60 mph going up the hills.
-On that same trip previously getting 7-8 mpg, now getting 8-10.
-I "feel" the power difference at the 2500-3500 rpm range

I don't have the "after" pic taken yet but will get it posted soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Fully loaded, the squat is about an inch and half, no where near touching the Timbrens.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Frontier SV CCSB 4x4
835 Posts
So I finally got the All Dogs Offroad parabolic leafs, Bilstein 5100s, AFE cat-back, and AFE CAI installed and HOLY COW, they made a huge difference, not just chirp'n tires but actually towing performance. The ride is smooth and there is minimal squat. I already have 350-400lbs riding in the bed at all times (that is what they are designed for; RTTs, laden cargo racks, stuff like that) and I ended up with a slight nose rake. The parabolics give you 2 - 2 1/2 inches of rear lift so I removed the Ready Lift shackles and replaced them with stock size OME greasables.

This is what the squat looked like before the ADO parabolics.
View attachment 353359

View attachment 353356

I'm thankful to be able to use the auto hobby shop on MCAS Miramar and was able to install everything in about 4 hours, no experience (although I have spend the last 27 years working in Navy enginerooms).
View attachment 353357

Once I had everything installed and torqued I had to take it to get an alignment and had the shop check all my suspension components.

View attachment 353358

Was able to hook up the trailer yesterday, 4500lb dry (probably closer to 5000 with what I have in it) and towed from Wildomar, CA (south of Riverside, CA) to San Diego, CA. Long steep pulls, several big hills on that route, traffic moving at 70-80, outside air temp around 80. Here are my real world observations towing with these aftermarket items installed.
-My Timbren bump stops that I re-installed on the parabolics are now useless, the frame comes nowhere close to hitting them.
-The ride was very smooth
-Before the CBE and CAI, towing through those same mountainy hills, I'd be at 4000 rpm (OD off) to maintain 55 mph going up. Now, I was between 3250 and 3500 rpm holding steady at 60 mph going up the hills.
-On that same trip previously getting 7-8 mpg, now getting 8-10.
-I "feel" the power difference at the 2500-3500 rpm range

I don't have the "after" pic taken yet but will get it posted soon.
Ahhhh.. Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.. miss that place!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts