Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 SV Crew Cab did not come with the tow/haul feature. I plan to get a small camper (4000 lbs). Would it be a good idea to install this feature or just manual shift when I need to?

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
967 Posts
There’s no tow/haul feature to add, assuming you already have a hitch & trailer wiring. Just turn off O/D.

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
941 Posts
I have a 20' 4000lbs camper, when I tow, I put truck in D and go, I manually shift to a lower gear on steep downgrades if needed, never had any problems in 5 years. And I leave the overdrive ON

·
Registered
967 Posts
The manual says to turn off O/D, but admittedly I rarely follow that advice either. Both of my Frontiers handle towing loads pretty well without too much human intervention.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
184 Posts
The 2nd gen Frontiers don't have a tow mode. You're suppose to turn the O/D off by pressing the button on the shifter. Obviously, if you're going down a steep hill, then it would be a good idea to manually shift down. Use some engine braking to keep the trailer from pushing you around.

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
941 Posts
The manual says to turn off O/D,
I have heard that, but I can't find anywhere in my manual that says that, maybe cause my truck is older? IDK

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have heard that, but I can't find anywhere in my manual that says that, maybe cause my truck is older? IDK
Maybe so. It’s in the manual for my ‘18. The manual for my ‘21 doesn’t mention anything like that.

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
941 Posts
Maybe so. It’s in the manual for my ‘18. The manual for my ‘21 doesn’t mention anything like that.
that's pretty interesting:confused: I went Nissanusa to look at the towing guide, but they only go back to 2013

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
386 Posts
It really depends on how the truck is handling the load. with my 2007, I used to tow empty and light trailers without canceling the O/D but heavier loads I would turn it off. What I had been told, the main reason is to prevent the transmission from cycling the O/D on and off under heavy load. I experimented with mine a few times and did notice on slight hills it would immediately shift out of O/D so i can see this preventing wear/tear on the transmission, as well as keeping the stress lower on the overdriven gears. You already take a hit on fuel mileage towing so the O/D isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
393 Posts
2019 PRO-4X. In my experience and towing without O/D off (at highway speeds) would result in the transmission doing a lot more searching/shifting resulting in transmission temperatures, particularly in the torque converter, rising quickly. Less pronounced with O/D off. Less of an issue when city driving, variable speeds etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts