Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Frontier SE Crew Cab V6. I know this has been discussed in parts but I'm looking to replace my entire exhaust system from headers on back. Has anyone done this? I've looked at a few different brands of headers (JBA, Doug Thorley short and long tube, AFE, PaceSetter). Any advice on brand would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
lemme get my popcorn... this could be good...

seriously... did you search any of the threads? People will get on you for year/trim of truck, 4cyl/v6, and intent of build. different folk complain of drone, you cna have 2 guys, same truck and one will say it drones, the other says 'what drone'
Removing the 2nd cat usually produces drone, couple that with LT headers and more drone. Voliant resonators are popular to cut drone. May have to put a resonator behind the muffler. I've seen some threads where they built a custom tuned resonator thats capped at the end. Some love Gibson, Some love Doug Thorley, Some love Magnaflow, some love Flowmaster...

There's multiple threads discussing this ad-nauseum. not to bust your balls, but there has been some pretty interesting solutions some folk have come up with. And noone could give you all the info here that is in all those other threads.

Oh, if you go with long tubes and delete your cat you'll need to go Uprev to clear/kill the CEL for O2. You MIGHT be able to fool them with the spacers but it seems to be hit-or-miss with the spacers. You might be able to get 1 set of cats on the LT with an O2 before & after the cat, haven't seen anyone declare success with it...

But if you're looking on a full exhaust I'm guessing its either rusted out or you want more power, which brings you back to an Uprev tune... and if you're going to tune I'd look into other reasonable power adders to bolt up before tuning (or you're throwing that tune money away. do it once and be done)

Here's 2 threads to start with (but there are many more)
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/ultimate-vq40-aftermarket-exhaust-muffler-discussion-thread-202617/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/exhaust-sound-video-clips-8814/

Reactions: d7k8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yikes. I had no idea. I appreciate you not busting my balls too bad. I'm just a regular guy. I need new exhaust and am just looking for some advice. I guess i should have given way more details, i didnt really think about it. I may need to delete this thread. Lol

Thanks for posting the threads. Ill do a lot of searching on this topic and others before i post a question. Thanks again

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is kind of the sense I've gotten from the forum too.
"How dare you ask a question I don't want to bother to answer.... Let me spend
some time berating you for asking it rather than just not answering it.

And they wonder why they get so few posts... strange.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I am new to this and not as informed as some
Don't sweat it. Most everybody is here to help.
I get a lot of questions asked by private message. I take the time to answer as best I can. To me it is quite flattering that someone would respects my advice.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
This is kind of the sense I've gotten from the forum too.
"How dare you ask a question I don't want to bother to answer.... Let me spend
some time berating yo for asking it rather than just not answering it.

And they wonder why they get so few posts... strange.
And this is why so few will respond to open-ended questions that are basically asking for opinions without providing any specifics on what they have, or what the want/can afford, or intent of build.

Yes, I opened with a snarky comment, but I followed with a bunch of info. The op didn't give any info so for all I know he's got a 1st gen 4cyl 2wd minitruck style build and wants to sound like a Honda Civic. I made assumptions and gave a little advice on 2nd gen 6cyl. I gave him 2 links to start with. If he had mentioned what he had, or what he needed, or that search gave him nothing (or stickies didn't answer his questions) or gave specific questions then its easier to help him. Otherwise its just preferences/abilities.... stock, aftermarket, loud, quiet, better power, willingness to do supporting mods, mechanical ability (can you weld?), ... these are all questions that he needs to answer. Even the age and condition of his truck. It makes no sense to put a $1k exhaust system on a truck that has everything rusted out and may only last a few more years. Conversely it would be pretty silly to go cheap if you have a 2-3 yr old truck in great shape.

Its like if I asked in a post: I need tires, what do you suggest?
Provide no additional info and have nothing in my signature.... Perhaps everyone suggests 33" AT or MT tires and what I want/need is a good highway tire for towing with a 4cyl. Without context, answers are useless.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I am new to this and not as informed as some
Nothing wrong with being new. The forum stickies are there because folks found that a particular thread held significant good info. Often the various stickies answer most general questions, and get you to fine detail questions.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Drone prediction...YMMV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i appreciate the reply. So far everyone has been cool. I should have researched a little more than i did.

If you dont mind, keep me posted on how that exhaust works out. It looks good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i appreciate the reply. So far everyone has been cool. I should have researched a little more than i did.

If you dont mind, keep me posted on how that exhaust works out. It looks good.

Well, it sounds great and I can feel the performance boost. However, there is some resonation that can be annoying :violent1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts