Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just cranked up my torsion bars today. I only raised the truck an inch and a half. At this height, it brought my rubber bump stop a little less than a half inch from the stop. Am I missing anything ? Any reason I couldn't get at least 1 1/2 inches without keeping the half inch gap ?

I heard of guys saying that it might be a problem at 2 inches but not at 1 1/2..:confused:

I am in the process of getting UCA's and shocks to get 3 full inches out of the front end but i'm thinkin something's not right here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
eh, new upper control arms are overrated haha, I have been running without them no problems with 4k.... I just put on some custom low profile bump stops and got a alignment done...

BUT, I would reccomend if your not just going to have a cool looking street truck you should go with the 3 pack aal... I have single aal and Im pretty sure i bent one offroading the other day....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I just bought the truck and am building it as a fully functional off road rig. I'm doing a full 3 inch lift all the way around and am fabricating my own rear shackles. . . but i'm installing UCA's for the correct suspension geometry and height. The balljouints are my biggest concern. At the moment, I can only safely get 1 inch of lift without the ucas. From what i've read, I should have gotten double that.

I've lifted and wheeled other types of suspensions but my only experience with torsion bars is with the late 1960's A body Dodge cars I used to restore. Never lifted any of those. It amazed me to see that the technology was still being used today. Aparently, the japanese were a little behind.

I guess what i'm getting at is, am I gonna' have a problem getting the full 3 inches of lift out of a UCA swap if my truck won't let me raise it two inches as-is ? ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have a similar issue ?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
your never going to get 2+ inches out of torsion crank with stock UCAs, even with ultra low pro bump stops... and if you do, itll never align

with UCAs youll be able to get the full 3

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would stay away from shackles and blocks, especially blocks...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why would you say that UCA are overrated if you’re trying to go over 1.5 inches, they are one of the only way for our trucks to be lifted in the front with the right alignment besides SAS. Try to crank it to 2 inch and it will ride like **** with the bump stops constantly hitting. And I would not say “stay away from shackles….” Yes 3 pack AAL’s provide the “best” way to lift our trucks 3 inch but shackles will provide the best flex if you’re really going to wheel your truck.. just some thought

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your never going to get 2+ inches out of torsion crank with stock UCAs, even with ultra low pro bump stops... and if you do, itll never align

with UCAs youll be able to get the full 3
I just cranked it up till I get the entire kit on (not long from now). Buying AC's UCA's.

The thing is, I didn't get 1 1/2 inches by raising the preload of the torsion bars. I would think I could have at least gotten that. I wasn't trying to get more. I'm would have been happy with the temporary 1 1/2 till I get my UCA's on there.

I guess my concern is that with the suspension the way it is, Will I still I get the full 3" of lift ? I couldn't find any old threads with anyone not getting at least 1 1/2 inches out of the T-bar crank. Sure would hate to put the new UCA's on and re-index the t-bars only to find out there's something else not right.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
I don't think you have any problems. You will need to re-index when you install your UCAs to get 3".

·
Registered
515 Posts
i cranked and didn't get 1 1/2 either. Re-indexed and with the geometry of the new arms I was able to get my 3 inches. I had 1/2" barely at the bump stops but i fixed that with some low pros from 4x4 parts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i cranked and didn't get 1 1/2 either. Re-indexed and with the geometry of the new arms I was able to get my 3 inches. I had 1/2" barely at the bump stops but i fixed that with some low pros from 4x4 parts
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I'm probably getting the 4X4 parts UCA's. I have a calmini idler arm brace in the mail. I will probably get a set of low pro bump stops too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts