Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been poking around the web since Friday afternoon to see if anyone has actually gotten the Torque App to display the correct transmission temp provided to the ECU with no definitive answer.

Some people state that it works, while others will chime in and say the app is actually displaying temps consistent with real-time coolant temps. And others even get extremely low temps (75-90 F) without any change why driving and I don't know where that sensor would be located (fuel tank maybe?).

I know the tranny provides this sensor reading to the ECU, But has anyone found the correct PIDs for the trans?

Just asking because I don't think it would be worth $150 for a GOOD odb2 Bluetooth adapter if I can't read the tranny temp. I would be better off buying a cheap ELM bt and use the remaining funds for a wired tranny gauge.

Also, while I am at it, Does anyone know at what Temp the transmission Idiot Light actually illuminates on the dash? I think that would be good to know when the temp is getting close to critical.

Thanks,

RG

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got a KIWI PLX adapter and do not get a Transmission temp. Torque shows it as, not green, meaning that it isn't an active sensor. If I had the PID information, I'd put it in manually, but I don't. As far as the temperature, I see that the A/T fluid temp standard range is 32 - 86 - 176 degrees F. Not sure what all has to happen to trigger the TCM to issue a fault code.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ran the Torque Scanner plug-in for PIDs and it found the Transmission temp. Truck was off for about an hour and the temp was 126F. Started the truck and let it run for a few minutes and the temp went up to 148F.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Forgot about tranny comp

That's right, I forgot that the tranny has is own computer, that ' s probably why Torque hasn't been able to ID the correct pathway without the specific PID extension.

But... If someone with a BullyDog tuner or one of the other diagnostic tools that can monitor the Trans temp and Slip sensor PIDs through their machines could dig out the PID #'s, one should (in theory) be able to enter that PID into the Torque App and display those sensor readings.

I ran the Torque Scanner plug-in for PIDs and it found the Transmission temp. Truck was off for about an hour and the temp was 126F. Started the truck and let it run for a few minutes and the temp went up to 148F.
Oh cool,

So the Torque Scanner plug-in does find the Trans Temp. That's the first I've heard.

Does the sensor seem to give you decent upload frequency, or does it only upload data every few minutes.

(For some reason I couldn't view that last two replies. weird.)

RG

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Please outline what steps you used to get the plug-in to read the correct trans temp. As noted by the OP many have only seen it show the trans temp to be 75-90 (myself included).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else???

Anyone else try to get this App to display tranny temp with any success?

I haven't received my BT odb adapter yet so I can't give any input right now.

It just seems surprising that so few on this forum have messed around with this app.

The 350z forums have numerous and lengthy threads regarding this app. It seems to be a very good tool to display the sensors already being monitored by the ECU.

BUT..... You have to know what it is you are monitoring for it to be worth two beans.

Anyone with a Bully Dog attempt to dig up the PIDs for the Tranny?

RG

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I got it to monitor the trans temp! I had it run a PID scan, long version took almost two hours. Don't think it found anything. Nothing showed in the area after the scan finished. It seems to be monitoring via method three. Whatever that is. The trans and coolant temp are the same, 186. This is not possible, mainly because I've done the bypass. Note the previous poster who claimed it works never replied to my inquiry. So I call BS. Maybe if someone could provide the PID info it might actually work. Right now it's a cheap novelty. Nothing more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Method 3 No go

Yeah, I got my BT adapter today and had a brief run at things.

Method 3 shows that the tranny temp is supported but that no data was being provided.
I am thinking that this is not a sensor that actually reports to the main cpu on a constant basis, but is being monitor by the tranny computer. We need to find the correct PID so that you can prompt the tranny comp to report the sensor reading.
I know this can be done, my buddy's diagnostic tool was able to read my tranny temp back in 08. Too bad he had to go and move to Oklahoma.

Will keep trying...

·
Registered
137 Posts
subscribed. I upgraded my phone and was thinking about buying torque pro, trans temp is one of the main things I want to monitor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now it does not seem like this can be done successfully.

Maybe it would work using torque and a k-line (Consult 2) adapter, but torque is still in beta for the consult protocol, so who knows.

Been scouring the internet for nissan PIDs and have come up with little info for tranny stuff. All I know is that there are two temp and at least one slip sensor that are being monitored by the TCM.

I think the K-line is probably going to be the best bet, but the results are not there YET.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi MUTT_TRUCKER!
I see that the ATF TEMP is P0170 as shown below in the Engine Control Service Manual. (Referenced Xterra manual, I checked and it is the same code with Frontier)

I have not tested it as yet, as I do not know what to put as the equation as shown below. But I will try to use default values and see at least if I can get voltage data from it (I'm at work and will attempt it for lunch).

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Hi MUTT_TRUCKER!
I see that the ATF TEMP is P0170 as shown below in the Engine Control Service Manual. (Referenced Xterra manual, I checked and it is the same code with Frontier)

I have not tested it as yet, as I do not know what to put as the equation as shown below. But I will try to use default values and see at least if I can get voltage data from it (I'm at work and will attempt it for lunch).

Did you test it yet? I entered the info in your example into my phone. I used the default [0d] for the equation.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I just tested it. We're gonna need the correct equation. So close, but yet so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2020 Moderating
3,206 Posts
I did some previous writing on this topic on this other thread

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/bully-dog-review-mpg-question-79781/

but I continue to look at this so I thought I would share my findings to this thread which seems more appropriately titled.

I have nothing that works so far but here is what I do know, and what doesn't work and why as far as getting tranny temp in Torque:

To Summarize:

1) It is reported that the Bully Dog GT can successfully read ATF temp, so I really think it must be possible to read Nissan ATF temp through the OBD interface, which is why I continue to try and find an answer, and/or the correct PID code.

2) I combed the X / Titan forums, all of those guys are trying to find the same answer, so I don't believe anyone knows yet.

3) The entry in Torque - Torque Transmission temperature(Method 3) does not work, found under (Menu->Settings->Manage Extra PID'sSensors->Menu->AddPredefinedSet->Other) . If you look at the PID code it uses, It uses the standard PID code 0105 (Source: OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for coolant temperature. So although you may get "readings" with this, it will be exactly your engine coolant temperature.

4) It was reported here that possibly 0710 could work as the PID code. That is not correct because 0710 is actually the DTC trouble code that will cause the MIL (Check Engine Light) to turn on when the circuit and/or sensor for reading the ATF temp is bad. This is not same as the PID code to read real time ATF temperature. (Source: P0710 Nissan Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com)

5) It was reported that the XGuage could read ATF temp here: (Source: XGauge code for Transmission Temp - Nissan Forums: Nissan Forum), athough it wasn't found to work even on that gauge. However, it might be a starting point, as these programming codes, can be converted into Torque equations, so I was going to try converting this into a Torque equation and giving it a try, to see if I could get anywhere.

6) A plugin for the torque application was released on google play on Thursday (Forums — Torque OBD ECU Scanner Torque Discussion / Ideas Nissan Plugin for TorqueTorque) for Nissan advanced sensors, however, even that does not read transmission temperature from what I can tell.

If anyone has any other leads please post them, or knows that it definitely won't work, (or if maybe the ELM327 bluetooth adapter is not capable of this) please let us know. I think we need to talk to the TCM (transmission control module) to get the reading on that ATF temp sensor, but I don't know how (again, it must be possible if the Bully Dog GT can do it.

Anyway, just thought I would add what I know so far to this thread.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I emailed the Nissan Adv app developer yesterday and here's the reply.

Hi,
I am working to add compatibility with automatic transmission. In this sense, a TCM Log from your car would be nice. You just need to download the Nissan Adv Lite version and perform the ECU Scan (click on the lite plugin icon from inside Torque) while driving.

About the ECU Scan, you don't need to do anything special to send me this information. As it finishes the scan, it will prompt you to create a new e-mail message with the logged data on the message body. As soon as i get the logs i can start working on the data mappings to make sure it works on your car.

Make sure you try to scan the ECU-0 (usually engine) and the ECU-1 (usually transmission) in order to provide me the necessary information.

PS: You can also ask other Frontier owners to do the same, as more data will increase the odds for TCM support.

Regards,

Rene.

I'll do this sometime this week. It would be nice if others would send their log info as well.

·
2020 Moderating
3,206 Posts
Make sure you try to scan the ECU-0 (usually engine) and the ECU-1 (usually transmission) in order to provide me the necessary information.
Good idea to email the developer, yesterdaysradios, thanks.

I did actually try this today, and I think the process will hopefully provide some clues, if somebody has the "running time" required, for me I couldn't today.

For me, I scanned for an hour and half (an hour with the the ignition "on" and an half hour after that actually driving), then I had to cancel it (no results found in that time), to go into a store. I suppose I could keep the ignition on overnight hooked up to a battery charger, but I'm not sure if I would get the same results as with the engine running, and maybe the Transmission Control module needs the car in a gear to respond, all unknowns, but I am going to keep trying. I really need a long trip planned to do this but I don't have any at the moment.

·
2020 Moderating
3,206 Posts
Just an update, I am continuing to work on this. I found this Android Torque App. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum on a Jeep forum. I realize the codes are not the same but it shows the concept of having one PID waking up another, so I am going to look into this and also try a scan when time permits.

I have absolutely no idea (this is actually my first Auto transmission) what the temps are supposed to be, so can I ask a favor of you guys?

Any of you who have a working transmission temp guage (either a real hardware gauge) or the Bully Dog GT give me an idea of what ATF trans temp should be at say 70 degrees ambient temperature after driving on the interstate for 10 minutes (no towing)? Just a ball park temp?

Also tell me whether or not you have the bypass. I assume without the bypass it should be close to coolant temp, but I'm wondering how close. Thanks.

The reason I ask is because if I ever get the PID scan to work, and I get hundreds of results, I'll have some idea of a "data number" to look for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an update, I am continuing to work on this. I found this Android Torque App. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum on a Jeep forum. I realize the codes are not the same but it shows the concept of having one PID waking up another, so I am going to look into this and also try a scan when time permits.

I have absolutely no idea (this is actually my first Auto transmission) what the temps are supposed to be, so can I ask a favor of you guys?

Any of you who have a working transmission temp guage (either a real hardware gauge) or the Bully Dog GT give me an idea of what ATF trans temp should be at say 70 degrees ambient temperature after driving on the interstate for 10 minutes (no towing)? Just a ball park temp?

Also tell me whether or not you have the bypass. I assume without the bypass it should be close to coolant temp, but I'm wondering how close. Thanks.

The reason I ask is because if I ever get the PID scan to work, and I get hundreds of results, I'll have some idea of a "data number" to look for.
Any luck with this buddy?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts