Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one...
Does anyone know where the wires are that control the lockup?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the torque converter uses fluid to operate. However the torque converter clutch control valve operation is controlled by the torque converter clutch solenoid
valve, which is controlled by an electrical signal, and the torque converter clutch control valve engages or releases the torque converter clutch piston.

The torque converter clutch piston in the torque converter is engaged to eliminate torque converter slip to increase power transmission efficiency.

I want to be able to lockup the torque converter manually for improved efficiency.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This post was about as useful as the disgruntled guy that works the parts counter and a nissan dealership.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA What a Jacka** right?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well yes, but I'm not gonna start name calling...just seemed like a post way out of left field and pointless.

I'm interesting to find out about this torque lock up subject as mine does some very strange things when shifting to 4th gear. Shifts to 4th then slips about 500rpm over 1-2sec then finally locks up. And then shifts to 5th.

More info I can find out, the better

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
knowing a little about the electrical system of nissan's all i can say is good luck, the other vehicles that you'll find those on have much more simple systems. diagnostically i dont see the tcu liking it. if you can do it without the tcu getting mad its going to take a bit work and some programing. i don't see it being and simple thing

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I looked at the service manual and have decided against it.
It will undoubtedly throw a code.
The TCM monitors everything to control that solenoid.
Hopefully someone will come out with a controller for it... Damn I should have gotten the manual. Not having to shift was nice for a while... Now I want my control back!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a converter lock up switch installed on my jeep. It won't really give you better fuel milage, but when wheeling you could use it like a standard tranny and lug it enough to even stall the engine if you applied the brakes hard enough.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool!

·
Super Moderator
4,975 Posts
I was just browsing and came across this thread. I know it's old, but I thought I would give my $0.02 just in case anyone stumbles across this thread like I did.

The auto trans in these trucks have no real wiring harness to tap into. The two small plugs on the side of the transmission are for the PNP switch and a speed sensor (if I recall right). The TCM and all of it's associated wiring are contained withing the transmission housing.

My truck has done the same thing as the OP's since I bought it. From what I understand it is fairly common with Frontiers and Nissan doesn't seem to be too concerned about it. It's almost like the TC starts to lock, but then quickly releases half way through, then slowly locks up again. The slow part is what has always bothered me; the lock up should be as quick as a shift, but it never is. Takes almost 3 whole seconds to lock completely which cannot be all that great for the TC clutch..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well yes, but I'm not gonna start name calling...just seemed like a post way out of left field and pointless.

I'm interesting to find out about this torque lock up subject as mine does some very strange things when shifting to 4th gear. Shifts to 4th then slips about 500rpm over 1-2sec then finally locks up. And then shifts to 5th.

More info I can find out, the better
Old post (I should have searched for this before creating a new post on this topic). This is what mine does and it is a normal characteristic of this trans. I like the automatic in this truck a lot more than the current Tacoma. However, the TQ lockup is a bit annoying at times so I keep O/D off unless on the highway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
General forum rule is that each post must be accompanied by a jack a$$ knee jerk commentator, something to do with diversity and democrats, who knows... just ignore the dumb comments.
TC lockup would be a nice feature, esp when towing. The American trucks all are able to be told to lock up with tuners or other aftermarket devices. It would also be nice when towing downhill so you can engine brake more effectively.
My trans also does the odd shift, slip, 3 1/2th gear??, then settles in. Im trying to learn how to counteract it with the gas pedal somehow.
I'm new to auto and still learning the nature of the TC on this truck. Friend with a big Ford van can feel it when his is locked or unlocked or when it locks up, he says it is obvious. Not so in these little trucks though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
General forum rule is that each post must be accompanied by a jack a$$ knee jerk commentator, something to do with diversity and democrats, who knows... just ignore the dumb comments.
TC lockup would be a nice feature, esp when towing. The American trucks all are able to be told to lock up with tuners or other aftermarket devices. It would also be nice when towing downhill so you can engine brake more effectively.
My trans also does the odd shift, slip, 3 1/2th gear??, then settles in. Im trying to learn how to counteract it with the gas pedal somehow.
I'm new to auto and still learning the nature of the TC on this truck. Friend with a big Ford van can feel it when his is locked or unlocked or when it locks up, he says it is obvious. Not so in these little trucks though.
Same here. I've driven manuals the last 20 years. I like this AT, but that is one quirk I'm adjusting to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The 4.0 locks in 3-4-5th gear, 3rd being what the manual calls soft-lockup whatever that is.It can be hard to tell the dif between a shift and a LU.But a shift will change rpm 3-500 rpm depending on speed, a lockup will only change rpm 50-100rpm. the 2.5 fourbanger only locks in 5th gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts