Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick up a topper tomorrow, I have a 2016. So is it ok to leave the spoiler on or should I take it off before I purchase the topper. I don't really want to trailer this thing home "which is an option" but at the same time if I leave the spoiler on and the rear glass won't shut all the way I don't want it to fly up on me. Should I just remove the spoiler before I head out or leave it on? Any insight would be awesome.
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, my used '15 already had the spoiler-thing removed as it came with a topper. But I don't know when the topper was made, so for all I know it was an earlier one put onto the newer truck.

I'm trying to find a Suzuki Equator tailgate, I like the look better, but not a lot of luck finding one in white ready to use.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
You'll very likely need to remove the factory aero spoiler and replace it w/ a very standard molded tailgate top cover. They run +/-$30-$40.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, I picked up a camper yesterday, you’ll need to get rid of the spoiler and replace with the rounded cap.

The spoiler worked well with my Diamondback tonneau cover but is not compatible with the camper as the rear door won’t close all the way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the answers. I know that permanently I have to remove the spoiler. I am just asking if it will be ok on the trip home. I'm driving about 2 hours to pick it up. I also got to thinking, do all camper shells use the same clamps to snug it to the bed rails? I have a utilitrack system so would it mount and use the same clamps as a bed that has a plastic bed protector?

·
Registered
611 Posts
The shop that did my install replaced the tailgate spoiler, the replacement tailgate cap came from ARE along with the top. And the clamping brackets are different than ones I have had before, they do not interfere with the Util-i-trak at all. Talk to the shop that is doing the install. (I'm assuming you are getting the top new from a shop, perhaps not.)

And if you are driving with the spoiler on, just use a bungee cord on the rear window handle(s) to keep the window from flopping around in the wind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I drove mine home 1 hour just resting against the tail, no issue. Bungee for confidence. Had a leer tailgate cap installed, $60 installed.
I liked bolting the cap down using the unitrack.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made it home! $500 with keys, headliner, pet screens, and a dome light.
I ended up just taking the spoiler off while is there and as luck would have, there's always gotta be one!

So does the after market tailgate cap just sit over the bolt rivets inserts....I think that's what they are called. or do I remove them? I feel like If I try and pop them out I'm just gonna end up pulling the metal out around them.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
102 Posts
Is that what that thing is called on the top of the tail gate? Its a spoiler? I just thought it was there for aesthetics. Does it actually do anything? Other than screw you up when your trying to put a shell on your truck?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that what that thing is called on the top of the tail gate? Its a spoiler? I just thought it was there for aesthetics. Does it actually do anything? Other than screw you up when your trying to put a shell on your truck?
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's called a spoiler...on a side note I am married and have children so I am wrong on a daily basis lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I got a Wade cap to replace the spoiler. Don't remember where... Google it.
I saw that one on Amazon, did your truck have the spoiler on it? If so did the Wade cover up the bolt holes? I've seen ones that just go straight across.

·
Registered
960 Posts
So does the after market tailgate cap just sit over the bolt rivets inserts....
The one I have sitting in my garage waiting to be installed after I install a backup camera uses double-sided sticky tape and just sticks down. It has a mild cutout as a relief for the top of the Nissan logo.

It was less than $40 off Amazon. Since I haven't installed it i can't truthfully recommend it, but the price was right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, I may call leer and see what they can get, if it too expensive then I will go with Wade off amazon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 317616 This is the leer cover.
You’ll like the screen protectors. Keeps my dogs off the screens, and a little bit more security.
I just went ahead and ordered the Wade. It's sold by Amazon so if it's not up to par then I can just send it back. The only thing I wish the shell had is a sliding front window, but beggars can't be choosers lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts