Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What top end speeds are you guys getting? I hit 110 on short stretch of country road, don't know if it had more as I had to back it off. I was blown away when I stomped on it at 70 and the power was unbelievable.
Much more than my 4.7 V8 Dakota. Would my top end speed increase if I got rid of WOT restriction?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't know what the top end speed is. Car & Driver had the Frontier pegged at 108mph.

Nissan Frontier Reviews - Nissan Frontier Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

More important do you know what your tires top speed rating is?
exactly...

Stock BFG long trails have a speed rating of T, 118 mph. Plus why in earth would you take a frontier anywhere near 3 figure speeds on a back road? The brakes have trouble stopping it from 60 mph imo and it handles like well a body on frame truck. Thats just asking to kill yourself or someone else imo.

Not to mention if it was at night you were far outpacing the ability of the stock headlights/brakes like crazy. You couldnt see something fast enough to be able to react to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calm down guys, no need to get your panties in a wad. I was on a deserted stretch of country road in the DAY time. I believe my Hankook dynapro's are "T" rated, 118 MPR. I once had a 1966 Chevelle 327 that would do a legit 150.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
I know my son hit 114 with my 2007 Pathfinder that we had, was not happy to hear that but I learned of it after the fact ?.
The car magazines claim my Challenger SRT8 has a top speed of 184 and will just take them at their word for that as I want to live a bit longer, the Brembo brakes surely can stop it but still wouldn't try it. Can you guess why my son has never driven the car by himself????? I shudder to my think what he'd try at 22 years old after the Pathfinder stunt and seeing him drive a stock car on a NASCAR track. He tried to pass the instructor in the lead car.
Then again I do remember the things I did when I was young like him and many of you here.
Stay safe everyone, I want to read of your adventures for a long time to come.

Clint

Reactions: Freez007

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The brakes have trouble stopping it from 60 mph imo
My brakes have absolutely no problem stopping the truck from 60 MPH.

Unlike the brakes in most passenger cars, they're designed to handle several thousand extra pounds of payload - which means that they're just loafing along in an unloaded truck.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Let's just say it'll do well over that 110, even with 33s. I've certainly done my share of stupid sh!t and that's about the only reason you'd need to get any truck to it's max speed limit on a public road regardless of tire speed rating.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There has been a few threads on this in the past. I believe that the top speed is limited to 112 mph.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My brakes have absolutely no problem stopping the truck from 60 MPH.

Unlike the brakes in most passenger cars, they're designed to handle several thousand extra pounds of payload - which means that they're just loafing along in an unloaded truck.
Then you arent used to having c6 corvette stopping power. Once you get used to that its kind of hard to get used to a normal vehicle braking capabilities.

·
Premium Member
6,460 Posts
Looking forward to 'reading about' our top end! Hopefully performance street tires are on the trucks that go this route.

Modding with heavier/taller tires &/or wheels can add a significant amount of inertia that OEM brakes were not designed to cope with...thus adding distance to come to a full stop. My new OEM-sized Michelins will likely also add stopping distance due to their Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tread compound coupled with less rubber on the road a la the w-i-d-e channels b/tw the tread blocks. Just a guess here, but will surmise that mud tires are not necessarily that great at stopping on pavement either. IOW, it is not always the brakes that negatively affect braking.

Apologies for going parental here.

Carry on! >:D

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Uprev can remove the top speed governor.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
As Nomad stated, these trucks will do well over 110. There were a few guys several years ago that did quite a bit of work to their rigs & were the leaders in performance upgrades on the forum. In fact, one of them would regularly take his truck to the strip where he was running mid to high 13's, if memory serves me correctly. He even did several circuit races where he was running with 350/370z's & was keeping up with or outpacing them! In short, with a decent chunk of money & the right equipment these trucks will keep pace with many mid caliber sports cars.

However, making the truck go faster is fine & dandy...as long as you can stop it. Stillen & AP Racing are a couple of companies that make BBK's for our trucks. There's also a current forum member (cant recall his name offhand at the moment) that's been building & piecing together a 4-wheel BBK in the hopes of offering it for sale once he gets all the kinks worked out.

Truth be told, if future plans workout the way Im hoping they will, I'd like to get a good used motor & have it 'built'. I'm talking balanced, bored & sleeved, forged everything, reworked heads, stage 3 cams, Z/G or possibly GTR style intake system, the works. On top of all that get a Level 10 'bullet proof' transmission, beefed up rear end, & custom lightweight drive-shaft. Last but not least, a big brake kit to bring everything to a nice & quick stop.

Why in the world would I want to do all this??? Why not? This is how I think about it; when you pull up to a stop light in a Mustang, Camaro, Vette, etc., people expect it to be fast. When you pull up next to someone in one of those cars but in a truck like ours, nobody bats an eye. I think its waaaay more fun to blow the doors off somebody who's in a 'sports car' by something nobody is expecting to be fast, than it is to beat them in a car that everyone will forget about five minutes after its over. In a nutshell, I want to build a 'sleeper'. I want the engine to be as 'bullet-proof' as it can be & built in such a way that if I decide to boost it later on I won't have to worry about anything except for tuning & a few other things.

Why not a VK56 swap?? It goes with what I said above. If you get a VK & build it then drop it in our truck, people are going to notice. The point is...I don't want them to notice. :p

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Not sure if I've ever took my Frontier over 100 mph, although for a short burst, not trying, had my X up to ~110 mph but let off right away when I saw how fast it was going. Had it at 100 a couple times, although again unintentionally and slowed down right away. I would never want to see how fast it *could* go, nor do I care. Have had vehicles that would do 170+ mph, but those too would never see close to that, even though they felt stable at 120 (passing somebody and let off right away).

Too many things can go wrong and it only takes one false move/split second...not only the truck, but other people not paying attention or hazards, etc. I do cruise at 80 mph, just not much past that as it makes me too nervous, lol (and I like speed).

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Our trucks are governed to 110 mph. Been to that point a couple of times. Seem to pull fine up to that point and then it just falls on it face. Been into the 100s a time or 2 on dirt. Now that was stupid!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts