Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past i have always built a vehicle specific tool kit for extended travel adventures (mostly motorcycles and i love tools so buying them is not an issue).

If you were building a kit for extended travel what items do you consider items that are must carry items? Things like specific sized sockets or special size wrenches that likely are not available commonly.

Also if you are up for the challenge explain why you suggest them and for the A+ pictures of your setup.

Thanks in advance for responses...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe not tools persay (I can't think of any tools I bring that aren't obvious, maybe besides Vise-Grips?), but this is what is behind the seats of my crew cab:

• smallish first aid kit
  • sunscreen for in the summer/handwarmers for the winter time
  • a couple of Clif bars (You don't want to see me when I am hungry.)
  • some water (small water bottle, even having just an empty water bottle is great, like the kind that collapse down or are just bags) and water purification tablets
  • rain poncho (I live in the PNW)
  • Blanket or emergency blanket (I like big wool blankets as they are good for outdoor events or picnics or whatever)
  • Tire Inflator (I have a big Viair pump, it's actually underneath the spare tire cover in the wheel of the spare tire on my roof)
  • Tire valve stem puller AND extra valve stems (in the bag with my air pump, for deflating tires for offroading and having extra valve stems for when you lose yours in the sand on a windy day, ask me what inspired this idea.)
  • Tow strap and shackles (Like a real big strap not the crappy rope ones)
  • pills Ibuprofen/allergy/dayquil/tums(for when you get Thai food)
  • Lighter (I just have a couple of standard BIC's in there)
There are probably a few things that I am missing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Tools, I bought a Frontier. No need for tools! Maybe a selfie stick for lots of what I did in my Fronty pics?

Reactions: mtyler11

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was sitting here giving this some thought. In the years since I've started driving, I myself have had a lot of crappy cars, and a lot of my friends have as well. I was trying to remember some of the most reasonable roadside repairs we've done to come up with a decent tool list. Seems like as cars have become more complicated, roadside repairs have become less doable as well.

My thinking is this:
Something to remove the drive belt with.
Tools to remove the battery and replace.
Booster cables.
Air compressor.
Tire plugs.
Tools to remove the alternator and replace.
Tools to remove spark plugs and replace.
Maybe a cheap volt/ohm meter and some fuses as well.

Used to be that most roadside repairs involved some carburetor adjustments just to get it running long enough to hopefully make it home, but that's a non-issue now.

Outside of those things, I don't really know. Maybe stuff to change oil if it's a long enough trip were that could be something.

Most of that could be handled with a small good quality tool set. In place of booster cables I use a booster pack now too, they usually have an air compressor built in.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The only thing I can think of would be a breaker bar and socket to make a spare tire change easier. Maybe my torque wrench, too. If anything else breaks, I won't have the spare parts on hand to fix it anyways.

I mean,^^ Bojib wants to do a spark plug change at the side of the road? Why? Spark plugs need to be changed one or twice over the life of the vehicle.... To me, that's overkill. He would be better off bringing a floor jack and some spare brake pads/rotors... :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
I mean,^^ Bojib wants to do a spark plug change at the side of the road? Why? Spark plugs need to be changed one or twice over the life of the vehicle.... To me, that's overkill. He would be better off bringing a floor jack and some spare brake pads/rotors... :p
Well, there was that time that a Honda Accord I owned decided to just spit out a spark plug for some reason. Then there is the time more recently when a truck I was driving decided to break the ceramic tip off the plug somehow. So, I was able to get those fixed and running without having to call a tow truck, although with the broken plug I did need to phone a friend to bring me a new one.

There is also the time I did bring a floor jack from home to help one of my friends change a set of brake pads beside the road, somehow the pad material separated from the metal backing and came out, leaving metal on metal.

Thanks for point out my post and poking fun at me though. I appreciate it, funniest thing I saw all day. Crazy to think unexpected break downs can happen and you may need to do some repairs outside of normal maintenance. It's hilarious ::grin::

·
Registered
895 Posts
cut an pasted from wreckdiver1321 's build thread

1/4 ratchet w/extensions
3/8 ratchet w/extensions
1/2 ratchet w/extensions
Needle nose pliers
Regular pliers
Channel locks
Vise grips
Snap ring pliers
Side cutters
Wiring pliers
Hammer
Pick
Flathead screwdriver (x2)
Philips screwdriver (x2)
Big flathead screwdriver (for a small pry bar)
Bit index (includes Allen, torx, Phillips, and flat head bits)
Universal driver
Ball joint press
1/4 drive 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12mm shallow and deep sockets
3/8 drive 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18mm shallow and deep sockets
1/2 drive 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24mm shallow sockets
1/2 drive 18, 19, 20mm deep sockets
U-joint sockets
1/2 to 3/8 reducer
3/8 to 1/4 reducer
8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24mm combination wrenches

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I carry a block of wood to help lift with jack if need be if I get a flat tire. I also carry along my old belts in case I break one on the trip.

Plus some assorted tools and wrenches similar to above. Plus at least a quart of oil.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Cell phone to call AAA.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
At home I have 3 floor jacks, 2 sets of ramps, a lift in the garage, a very full rolling tool chest taller than I am and many many other tools including a 20 ton press, engine crane, drill press etc. I also have other vehicles to go get parts and anything else to do a repair. Most importantly it's safe to do repairs there. On the road or in a parking lot it is not a safe place to do repairs and can be hassled doing them there.

Now if I'm on the road I have none of those items with me even with all my abilities I just have to suck it up and get towed. If close to home it's towed there or to a shop, dealer or private depending on need and have to pay them.

Clint

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I keep some tools in the Frontier. Most important is an electric impact for tire changes. Basic set of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers etc. Very large screwdriver I can use as a pry bar.
Just enough tools to change hoses, belts, etc.
Most of the time , the truck is used in Mexico and there is no AAA.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There is no one simple answer to this.

Where you are going, solo or a group, what other vehicles in the group, your skills, the skills of others, how long the trip is going to be all play in.
I likely would be solo. I also hope to go on an extended trip outside of the US Borders.

As far as skills, back in the day and with a manual and tools and time i can fix most things that don't require a machine shop. while i cant carry all the spares one might ever need i have found that getting parts delivered almost anywhere in the world is a matter of time and the resourceful person can find a workable substitute.

I have found however that it is often a good idea to have your own tools especially if there is some odd ball tool or an unusual uncommon size.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
752 Posts
cash, an available credit line, and a satellite telephone.

lift points on the frame of the truck for helicopter transport.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Sat phone? Yes. Cash? Yes. Credit line? Yes.
Helicopter transport? Nope.
Tow vehicle and trailer, couple of chase trucks will have to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
cut an pasted from wreckdiver1321 's build thread

1/4 ratchet w/extensions
3/8 ratchet w/extensions
1/2 ratchet w/extensions
Needle nose pliers
Regular pliers
Channel locks
Vise grips
Snap ring pliers
Side cutters
Wiring pliers
Hammer
Pick
Flathead screwdriver (x2)
Philips screwdriver (x2)
Big flathead screwdriver (for a small pry bar)
Bit index (includes Allen, torx, Phillips, and flat head bits)
Universal driver
Ball joint press
1/4 drive 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12mm shallow and deep sockets
3/8 drive 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18mm shallow and deep sockets
1/2 drive 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24mm shallow sockets
1/2 drive 18, 19, 20mm deep sockets
U-joint sockets
1/2 to 3/8 reducer
3/8 to 1/4 reducer
8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24mm combination wrenches
Don't forget the all important 32 MM socket for the front CV axle nut....

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
In the past i have always built a vehicle specific tool kit for extended travel adventures (mostly motorcycles and i love tools so buying them is not an issue).

If you were building a kit for extended travel what items do you consider items that are must carry items? Things like specific sized sockets or special size wrenches that likely are not available commonly.

Also if you are up for the challenge explain why you suggest them and for the A+ pictures of your setup.

Thanks in advance for responses...
well... depends on what kind of travelling you're doing... If its all over-the-road then the oem jack/lugwrench/spare, jumper cables, fuses, leatherman... little things. If you're going offroad... a medium size toolbox, spare CV axle, bottles of fluid, driveshaft (maybe), farm-jack, come-along/winch, leather/work gloves...(above items)
I forgot to add 5gal can of gas and a chainsaw...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
And a small trailer to put all the stuff in.

Reactions: erturne
1 - 18 of 18 Posts