Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any of you have something that makes short work of some of those stubborn clips. Was replacing the fender molding the other day on my girlfriend's Rogue..long story why I needed to do this...but there are approximately 4 different kinds of clips all on one piece and it got me thinking it would be nice to have a tool that just "popped" them out.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
Sometimes you have to get creative when working with the various clips and plastic pins. Sometimes I view them as a sacrificial part and I've done as was suggested and just bought a bag of new ones to replace any that broke or seemed a little screwy after removal.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
It depends on the clip. I use a Craftsman #41397 tack puller for a lot of them:

Sears.com

Part of the problem is dirt and mud tends to get in the clip and they break when you try to remove them, especially if they are old. I've got three Nissans, so I just bought a bag of clips off of Ebay. $5 for a bag of 100 is more than I'll ever need!:

100 Pcs 8mm Car Plastic Rivets Fastener Bumper Fender Push Clips for Nissan | eBay
The OP says that 4 kinds of clips were encountered.
Are there 4 different kinds/sizes for Nissans?
Is the size in the link the most useful...IE for attaching the OEM mudflaps?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Like smj999smj I use the tack puller.....just because I already have one.
But If / when I replace my stock stereo, I will be buying this:
Trim And Molding Tool Set 5 Pc

Click on link below:
5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Also sometimes the clips where out or break and I bought some from ebay, You can also get the clips from a local auto parts store.
But there are a couple / few different sizes.
Click on link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...TRS0&_nkw=nissan+frontier+push+clips&_sacat=0

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. The black ones, that are typically used to hold fender liners, parts of the grille..etc are easy enough. I ended up using a kitchen fork and spread the two middle prongs and it pops them right out. The tricky ones seem to be the little white clips that you have to press in on both sides in order to pop them out. I will attach a link to what I am talking about because the camera on my phone isn't cooperating.
20 Pcs New White Plastic Rivet Retainer Door Trim Clips Fastener for Car | eBay

I will definitely check out some of the tools you all have linked. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
It's always best to have an assortment. There are numerous types of clips used on vehicles. In addition to the tack puller, I have several different door panel tools and several plastic trims tools. I still use the tack puller for the majority of clips, but it also comes in handy for various other things, like removing small metal clips, pulling vacuum hoses off of metal lines and depressing tabs on harness connectors that I cant depress with my finger, alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts