Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of getting a tool box for my Frontier. I don't like the price for the Nissan tool box, 500$. I like the fact that it slides to the rear for easy access. I was looking for a cheap substitute.
I found this box Buyers Polyethylene Box — Large, Model# 1712240
44 3/8" Length, 19" width, 17 1/2" high. While not a truck tool box, the dimensions seem about right

It won't extend from side to side, so it can't slide on the side rails, but from what I have been able to find out is that theses
Trolleys and Brackets for Unistrut. 1 5/8" wide Strut Channel will work on the Frontier Utilitrack (utility bed) system. I was hoping to attach them on the bottom of the box and slide the box on the bottom rails.

Has any one tried anything similar or have you found any good substitutes for the Nissan tool Box ?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here man check this out....Pictures by sled-neck - Photobucket

I tried to make an aftermarket box slide on the side rails. It was a PITA but it eventually worked after much frustration. It was a Trail FX box and ended up getting trashed in my accident. On my new truck I went with a lopro tonneau cover and this box http://www.unitedweldingservices.com/products/alpha.php

The UWS box is on order since it is custom but I plan on mounting it to the rails on the floor of the bed and sliding it that way. It does not have the capacity of the over the rail style but its low enough where I can still use the front rail for bikes and what not.
Hope this helps....

edit- Also be careful on the strut dollys - I work in the electrical industry and there are 2 different depths of strut 1 5/8" and 7/8" but those look like a good idea. I am gonna look into them for my application

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Here man check this out....Pictures by sled-neck - Photobucket

I tried to make an aftermarket box slide on the side rails. It was a PITA but it eventually worked after much frustration. It was a Trail FX box and ended up getting trashed in my accident. On my new truck I went with a lopro tonneau cover and this box http://www.unitedweldingservices.com/products/alpha.php

The UWS box is on order since it is custom but I plan on mounting it to the rails on the floor of the bed and sliding it that way. It does not have the capacity of the over the rail style but its low enough where I can still use the front rail for bikes and what not.
Hope this helps....

edit- Also be careful on the strut dollys - I work in the electrical industry and there are 2 different depths of strut 1 5/8" and 7/8" but those look like a good idea. I am gonna look into them for my application
That was a goodjob you did on that box man

·
Registered
400 Posts
thanks footy
I had some help from a buddy who owns his own small machine shop to make those angled blocks for me out of aluminum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Hope this helps....

Your box did look good but I think I will go with the Polyethylene Box .
Cheap compared to a oem box. I am hoping it will work for about 180$. It won't be a work tool Box.Just wanted it for the weekends

·
Registered
400 Posts
not to knock your style but the bad thing about those plastic boxes is that they tend to sag and deform over time.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
not to knock your style but the bad thing about those plastic boxes is that they tend to sag and deform over time.
That & the sides tend to drop downwards toward the bottome portion of the beds & the opening flanges tend to go stupid & deform upward making for an awkard looking add-on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
One of things I am concerned about is how well It opens up against the back. It is not recessed, so that may be a problem

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
My experience with a "plastic" box is that with the heat and the weight I have only been disappointed with them. Not to mention they are a snap to break into.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i know it sounds petty but last time i measured my bed(i was looking for a TB as well) i think it maxed out at 44" or maybe even a little less. i was looking at boxes that were 38" give or take just so it would fit between the wells. i will run out and remeasure in a little bit just to make sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts