Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my wife says I'm nuts, and it'll look weird. Starting to order some small parts so that I can have a couple of projects for over the winter. I plan to install several lights on my bull bar, fogs and driving.
In the first pic, you can see the front view of the truck with the bar and no markings, this is as it sits now.

In the second pic, is marked where lights will be. The red dots are 3 LED KC 3" lazer fog lights, the blue stripe will be a 16" light bar, the two outside blue dots are potentially long range PIAA's, the two blue dots below the bar are 2 3" KC Lazer spot driving lights. Al told, I'm looking at about $800 in lights, I also need to talk to a local fab shop about modifying the mounting brackets for the bull bar so it's moved out about 1" from the front of the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Probably more light than you will ever need. The light bar will be more than enough all by itself. Then maybe a couple of ditch lights and you will be good. Just my opinion though ... it's your truck, build it to make yourself happy.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,356 Posts
I just put two small 4" LEDS on my bull bar and they are brighter than my old 7" 85w PIAAs. I think that you will notice the lights 'bouncing' around the bull bar if you make it too heavy. Sometimes, less is best. I do like your thinking of a mixture of fogs and spots, though. Save your money, go two spots, two fogs, and then take the extra money and buy a Volant intake - the added sound makes mashing the skinny pedal fun again.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What the hell!

I've seen posts of people equipping their trucks to climb almost vertical mountainsides.
Not because there's anything at the top to get too... just because it's there.

If you want the lights on your truck... get them!

My truck was perfectly functional when I bought it, I've got al least 5k in mods and plan
to get more... my wife says ... baby, if you want it... get it. I love my wife, she understands
me. : )

·
Registered
105 Posts
DO IT!! I currently have 5 out of a planned total of at least 13 LED lights in places my truck didn't come with any. 12" spot bar and 2 4" flood cubes on the front bumper and 2 flush mount floods on the rear bumper. Once I get around to building my roof rack, I already have two spots for the front and two floods each for either side and the rear.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quite frankly everyone has their opinion but i personally think it will look super ugly. Thats just my 2 cents...

I have my stock headlights and fogs both with HIDs conversion, i also have 4 Rigid D2 duallys in the bumper mouth where you have the red dots and a 10 inch hyperspot bar in the grill which replaced the Nissan logo.

Its too much already but looks clean. I think your idea will be over the top.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What the hell!

I've seen posts of people equipping their trucks to climb almost vertical mountainsides.
Not because there's anything at the top to get too... just because it's there.

If you want the lights on your truck... get them!

My truck was perfectly functional when I bought it, I've got al least 5k in mods and plan
to get more... my wife says ... baby, if you want it... get it. I love my wife, she understands
me. : )
I wish, my wife say we don't have the money you don't need it and, can't have it. I still love her to no end cause we have never had to file for bankruptcy :)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'd get one Hyperspot light bar in the bumper mouth(should be two holes to mount in your Bull bar) and 2 wide beam cubes slightly angled out.

Depending on your width of your Bull bar tubing, can use a Rugged Ridge X-clamp for the cubes. Then throw a combo light bar on the roof down the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,433 Posts
I just put a 20 inch bar on top of the bumper and replaced the factory fogs with 2 inch cubes on my Jeep Wrangler and more than plenty of light. If you really want light put a 50 inch bar at the top of the windshield.
All the ones you're planning on are a bit much condensed in such a small area.

Clint

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Form/function of accessory lighting:
Form - filling the available space...will it appear cluttered?
Function - will all this additional light be useful or overkill?

Am a fan of understated refinement here. Clean/edited overpowers bold/flashy.
Opinions are supposed to vary, though.
Do what suits you. It's the grin on your mug that matters most.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't think there's such a thing as to much aux. light... I have a 20" in the bumper mouth a 50" curved on the roof and XML2 LED Fog lights.

That said its nice to have the light where you need it, if it were me I'd start with 2 fogs and 2 spots and see how you like that and where you might want to add more. I suspect if you add an extra fog and two extra spots then there won't be much of a need for the 16" light bar.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I'd say look at what you are installing them for. Like you I started thinking I was going to load up the lights until I realized I was doing that more for the look of the front rather than the functionality of it all. I decided I would rather have a cleaner look with more function than looks, so I did some googling until I found a setup I liked that was clean. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably add a light or two down the road, but I am glad I took a step back first, it took my light bill from where you are sitting down to a couple hundred.

...if it were me I'd start with 2 fogs and 2 spots and see how you like that and where you might want to add more. I suspect if you add an extra fog and two extra spots then there won't be much of a need for the 16" light bar.
^This.

Start with basics, and build up what you need or want...maybe mock up some paper lights and tape them in place so you're not stuck with something that will look too messy or cluttered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts