Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see other Fronty owners experience with soft tonneau covers. Ups & downs with specific brands, especially durability. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
tonneau covers

I just put the Foldacover bed cover on my '05 LE KC. I have not had it long enough to
tell how reliable it is or how water proof. I do like the way it fits and being able to lock
my util-trac accessories in the truck will be a big plus.

The fit is nice and the look is great, my only complant is that it is a little bit hard for me to
open and close from the ground. I am 5' 7 1/2" tall, I weigh 133# and I am 67 years old.
If I were a little taller, stronger, younger this probably would not be a problem.

I can always get my wife to help me and that is my only complaint so far.

It can be viewed at www.foldacover.com.

Gerald

·
Registered
14 Posts
if i could ever find my stupid digital camera i would take pics of mine. mine came on my truck. the guy that had the truck ahead of me made it. its a hard tonneau that folds in the middle. until you open it you would never know it was homemade. it is made of 3/4" plywood. it is covered with a thin layer of foam or something soft then covered by an upholstery shop in black vinyl. he said he had about $100 in it. it locks donw tight with the same kind of latch/handle thing that are on the back of camper shells. with the tailgate locked you cant get into the bed at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
also installed a Truxedo Lo-Profile cover

nice cover.....easy to install...

easy to roll open and close. best one I ever bought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Berlin soft cover custom sized to fit with my toolbox. It's 4 1/2 years old and has held up great, still looks new! I prefer the soft covers as opposed to fiberglass because when you need to put something tall in the bed you can, plus you can avoid that big price tag.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a soft cover and the only real P-I-T-A is when you need to remove the bed extender, I have to unsnap the back and forward past the first bow. Then remove the rear piece over the tailgate to flip it up and remove it. Not so bad when its warm but a real pain when its cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rollup Cover

I installed Access Rollup cover on my 05 CC LE; works great, looks good, and easy to open and close (see Member Gallery).

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I sell the Retrax Brand, and I think it is a great system, very easy to operate, and stands up to a pounding. Looks nice and sleek. and improves gas mileage, by covering the bed to reduce drag!

·
Registered
4 Posts
chicknde said:
I have installed a Truxedo tonno on my 05 Frontier. Very easy to use and water proof. I had an Extang on my old truck and the snaps get tiresome after a while. With the truxedo it uses velcro, which I was hesitant about, but it works great.
I thought about a velcro cover but was worried about it wearing out over time. I ended up going with an Extang Saber, which has ziplock-like J-seals, on my old Dodge Ram which worked really well. It was the first accessory I bought for my Frontier after I traded my Ram for it. Truckcandy.com has them for around $165 right now. It installed real easy with the bolt-on under-rail clamps, no drilling required. I think it took me under 20 minutes to install the whole thing.

If you've got stuff to lock up a hard cover is nice, but if you just want it for looks, rain protection, and aerodynamics a soft one is great. If you do a lot of on/off with it for hauling tall stuff (or just a lot of crap :wink: ) then the snap-ons will get real tiresome, especially in the winter (my father in law has one and won't even take it off in the winter). I could get the Saber off and on both my trucks in under 2 minutes even in winter and it stays on just fine. It's especially nice when you want to use the bed extender; just pull up the bottom few feet of cover, pull of the clip-in tailgate rail and pull off the rear crossbar, flip the tailgate out and slap everything back on. Takes just a few minutes.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just installed a Lorado lo profile by accescover.It works easily,and seems watertight so far.The sliding bed extender requires a spacer kit to worh with it,but I don't need mine anyway...PITA

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Was out pricing tonneau covers yesterday, and I think I've narrowed the playing field. Was originally looking at the fold-a-cover and Advance Cover, but the cost is a bit higher than I wanted to spend and after talking with a few different vendors learned a few things about each that made me hesitant.

I also looked at the Undercover, which I thought was a pretty nice concept being as it gave you all the advantages of a fiberglass cover, but it only weighs 58 lbs and is easily removed. But, if I out somewhere and need to pick up a large item I wasn't planning on getting, I have to return home, remove it and venture back out to pick up the item.

So, it's now down to the Truxedo and the Lorado rool-up covers. Both seem to have the same basic design and features, and each vendor raves over the features of the one they sell, but being as the price is pretty comprable, I don't know wich I should go with. I know a lot of folks on these Forums like the Truxedo, but was hoping to get some input, likes, dislikes, and other opinions concerning one v. the other. I see where the lorado needs a spacer kit with the sliding bed extender, does the Truxedo? Any words of wisdom? Thanks...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the "floating velcro and auto adjustment" on the truxedo might be nice in extreme climate change.I live in FL so I won't really know.T he Lorado has a manual adj that works fine.
I would have bought a truxedo,if I could have found one locally in stock(I was anxious)
When I tried the display of the Lorado,and they had it,I bought it.I don't have any regrets so far.I installed it myself in less than an hour(carefully)
The fit is tight,and this tonneau doesn't flap nearly as much as my last (sportmaster)snap down.I also like the lack of arched bows.The material seems very durable...it is not the typical vynyl with cloth on the back,it is plastic on both sides(less stains)It rolls up quick and easy and has nice tiedown buckles/straps,although two of the buckles are located outside the cover by the cab(they are hardly noticeable and do not touch paint or flop around)
Hope this helps!!!
Jay

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thanks Jay!

After doing more research, the only drawback I can find with either the Truxedo or the Lorado is the way the rails intrude into the bed of the truck. I have heard on other forums that this impedes the use of the sliding bed extender and you have to purchase an additional kit. I think's I'm going to hold off for the moment and do some more research!

I do like the way both these covers operate, and the vinyl material is extremely tough. One dealer I went to said it's made with Kevlar! Doubt it's bullet proof, but it's definately a lot tougher than regular vinyl!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Keep us updated...if you find the perfect tonneau.I did a lot of research also,I seems there is always a compromise or drawback to each design.You can get an accesscover or truxedo that is roll up and doesn't intrude,but it is not lo-profile :(

Good luck,let us know what you decide!
Jay

·
Registered
62 Posts
chicknde said:
I have installed a Truxedo tonno on my 05 Frontier. Very easy to use and water proof. I had an Extang on my old truck and the snaps get tiresome after a while. With the truxedo it uses velcro, which I was hesitant about, but it works great.

I have heard rave reviews about truxedo!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello People

I own a 01 frontier xe 4x2 and wondering what will be a good tonneu cover ,brushguards for it
it a shortbed and i want to custimize it
i have a bed extender so looking for a good tonneu cover i still use my bed extender and i like soft cover not hard cover
can u all send some links that have them good
it for my 23 b-day in oct i know it early but my parents are geting it for me early thanks alot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems like it's been some time since anyone posted here.... Any new recomendations for tonneaus? I've heard good things about Retrax and was about to put on a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit on the GMC Sierra before I decided to just trade in to a new truck :)

Paul, did you install a tonneau yet from either Truxedo or Lorado?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Not yet, I'm still debating on which way to go. If the Truxedo didn't intrude into the bed as much as it does, and cause you to have to purchase an adapter for the sliding bed extender, that's the way I'd go, but I don't want anything to impede the operation of the utili track system. I also like the concept of the Undercover. I had a hard tonneau on my F-150 and really liked the security it provided, but it was so heavy and hard to remove if you had to haul any large items. The Undercover will give me the security of a hard cover, but is light weight (weights less than 60#), is removable, and comes with a hanger that can be mounted in your garage. Unfortunately, they don't make one for the Frontier yet. They make one for the Titan, and they claim it doesn't interfere with the Utili track, but I've seen some distributors who say it's available for the Titan w/o Utilitrack, so I have to wonder! Anyway, the research continues...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts