Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nylon lip on rear of my soft tonneau cover has become brittle and shattered ( only 12months old). Am unable to lock rear edge closed!! Have contacted a trim shop but they are unable to get the nylon extrusion to sew in place. Other than going to Nissan and buying a new one at $450, have I any other options???

Buzzy:crikey:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mate would love to be able to help with some advice - all I can do is say "bummer".

It sucks that the plastic strip can't be sourced - have you tried other motor trimmers?

Check out sydney utes website. They have a new EGR soft tonneau. Pops up on the right hand side in the "specials" window. Is a "bolt on" frame - no holes. Nice neat fixture. No sports bar though - which might concern you (doesn't concern me one little bit). One sale at the moment for under $500 and a nice looking piece of kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buzzy

Have you approached the dealer to do under warranty?
Don't laugh, one of the dealers in melbourne was only to happy to replace under warranty for one on my mates navaras, as the nylon/plastic had become brittle and snapped also, across the rear of the tonneau. Apparently they had a bad batch of the plastic trims, and is a known fault. This was done about 8 months ago.

Cheers yarraway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont think Nissan will do the warranty. Car is 4years old now but this is the 3rd cover in that time!! First two were replaced under warranty ..doubt whether they will do again??? Might try ebay option.

Buzzy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Keep us posted Buzzy on how you go. I have been driving around with mine broken for well over twelve months now.

Jase.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I actually took mine off when I saw others were having that problem.
I just kept an eye on Ebay and scored a hard cover

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have heard this a few times. Got a motor trimmer mate who says you cant get the nylon strip as its a nissan design. Dunno if you can get another manufacturer or not. ive had mine for 3.5years and never a problem. Still tight and not stretched.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I took off the aluminium strip and padded the inside edge out about 3-4mm with a plastic strip - to allow the tonneau some slack. Then re-attached the aluminium plate which the tonneau snaps over.

(so now it's not quite so tight fitting but good enough to hold and still look good)

Now it works fine, don't think there will be another problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts