Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do tonneau covers really improve your mpg? If so how much?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got the Blackmax from Extang, they claim a 10% increase. If you look around, thats about the average that all the companies that I looked at claimed. I havent seen and increse yet, but it will more prominent when I start driving to VT from MA this summer for camping.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have not noticed any difference with my Fold-A-Cover, but most of my driving has been around town. I bought my cover to be able to secure the contents in my bed
rather than gain any mpg. Of course if it helps the mpg it is a win win situation.

OkieScot

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
Yeah I think al of the companies that make a tonneau cover claim it will make a difference in your gas milage but I haven't seen any increase when I put my Trifecta Tonneau on. Other truck manufacturers nay have more luck with the tonneau cover but it doesn't look like the Frontiers are that lucky.

·
Banned
410 Posts
if its a soft one its SLIGHTY possible

but if its a fiberglass one your going to get a decrease from the weight, i had a fiber one on my old 00, looks good but thats pretty much it. aero dynamics really arnt going to give you a noticable increase in MPG. and all tonneaus add weight. so more weight = less mpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, I kept trak, and mine went up by almost 1.5MPG with my cover, so I am totally happy about it... I calculated about 9 months of driving ( I use a tank of gas every 4-5 days) pays for the tonneau.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Binford said:
Actually, I kept trak, and mine went up by almost 1.5MPG with my cover, so I am totally happy about it... I calculated about 9 months of driving ( I use a tank of gas every 4-5 days) pays for the tonneau.
I'm having about the same increase as Binford. The cover definitely helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not sure I buy it. I was watching myth busters and they kind of did this and proved it not to be true. They did it with the tailgate down and then with it up and got the same gas milage. So I dunno I can't see it being a significant gain in MPG

·
Registered
81 Posts
actually on myth busters the truck that kept the tail gate up did make it farther before it ran out of gas not much farther but still farther and with gas at $2.89 i'll take every little bit i can get.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I would also think CrewCab vs. KingCab would make a difference. Crew cab's shorter bed would seem to "catch" the draft less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts