Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm seeking some feedback on the various tonneau covers out there. I am a fan of the Bak Revolver 4

I'm not looking to have to drill the bed to mount one and it has the have the ability to lock. Just wanted to see what the consensus was since most of the posts I seen on here were pretty dated. I liked the paragon but I've head they can be a bit troublesome, and I really don't want to drill the bed for it. I usually need to use the entire bed so the ease of removing the system is pretty important too (hence the one I am considering above). Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would check out an installation video to get an idea of how easy removing it will be. Something like that X4 cover is going to be more complicated to install/remove than a simple soft tri-fold cover. I have a tri-fold cover that lays flat on the bed cap rails so there aren't any guide rails to install separately. I used to have a roll-up cover and would not want to remove it the several times per year that I have to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had a Bakflip F1 on my 2011 since I bought the truck in 2011. They don't make it but its the trifold type and I imagine their G2 is similar. While it has worked for me, I don't think I would buy from Bakflip again. While the top itself has stood up, the hardware failed within months of purchasing, and their customer service wouldn't return an email or phone call. All I needed was a new weather seal that I may even have paid for, but couldn't reach them. Additionally it started fading almost immediately, and I have had to re-glue with epoxy all the cross rails since they were held on only with a few screws which rattled out pretty early on. And it leaks like a sieve as well.

Having said all that, it goes on and off pretty easily, and with all my repairs I still use it so I suppose it was money well spent. As for locking - it latches down and then the tailgate lock is the final security for everything. I am sure it could be pried off easily with a screwdriver however since the latches are pretty weak looking.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
84 Posts
I have a Gator soft tri fold. It doesn’t lock per se, but if you lock the tailgate you can’t get at the release levers for the tonneau. So it is essentially locked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
GraphiteblueDan

I'll check into it, I thought it seemed easy but that could be the magic of filming. Can you lock your current cover?
Thanks!
The cover itself does not lock. I'm in the same boat as Synycyl above. With a locked tailgate, someone would have to use a box cutter or pry bar to get into the bed. If you can't compromise on security and ease of removing, a tool box might be an option if the installation is non-drill. Depends on what you need to fit though. They also cost about half what the X4 cover goes for. I'd consider one if I didn't need to cover ski/snowboard gear. Of course, someone could steal your entire tool box from the bed and try and bust it open elsewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ARE latches on with no holes and theoretically removes easily although I haven't tried it yet. Kinda $$$$ but it locks and extends over tailgate as well.

Anthracite Gray KAV.JPG
are cover 2019.JPG

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV CC 4x4 Automatic LB OEM
15 Posts
I ordered a Peragon about three weeks ago. Taking a month to ship? Not sure why but I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
I have been needing a cap or a tonneau cover for a really long time.
I chose Peragon because the cover itself locks in addition to the tailgate. Seems more secure and I haven't found nearly as many complaints on Peragon compared to the X4 roll up that I also was considering.
Peragon had 100 day return policy. So I figured what the heck, I have to do something. The rear of my cab is two giant piles of tool bags and hardware. Everytime I open a door the NWS puts out an Avalanche warning.
Once I get it installed and get some use on it I probably will put my 2 bits on here somewhere.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello,

I'm seeking some feedback on the various tonneau covers out there. I am a fan of the Bak Revolver 4

I'm not looking to have to drill the bed to mount one and it has the have the ability to lock. Just wanted to see what the consensus was since most of the posts I seen on here were pretty dated. I liked the paragon but I've head they can be a bit troublesome, and I really don't want to drill the bed for it. I usually need to use the entire bed so the ease of removing the system is pretty important too (hence the one I am considering above). Thanks!
Diamondback SE or HD. Hands down. If you really need full bed space then can be off within 3-5 mins.

·
Registered
2015 Frontier SV King Cab
6 Posts
I bought the Tyger hard cover on Amazon for my 2015 Frontier KC. I am very happy with it and it was almost half the price of the Bakflip 3. No drilling and it takes a few minutes to put on and take off. It seems very sturdy and weighs about 50 pounds. All aluminum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the access low-profile tonnosport cover and it is awesome! It appears to be high quality and has slide-able locking tabs. People will argue this point, but I have definitely noticed a small mpg increase as well which is always nice.

I think it was around $250 from CARid. You may be able to get a discount from CARid on the forum (I have seen a CARid rep post before, I do not know their username though)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello,

I put a $239 Truxedo rollup on my Frontier 12 years ago. Coud've replaced it 4 times and still be in for less. And yet, it's only just showing some wear. I ain't pending over $400 for a cover for anything unless it comes with triple Ds.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Tyger rollup fits with the track system in box, great cover
Truxedo fits with track too.

im looking at some fold ups on eBay for $140. If doesn’t hold up I can replace it 4 times to break even.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I have a backflip Mx 4 and love it. It’s been on my truck for about 3 years with no issues. There is a little bit leaking when I wash my truck, no more than a cup or two of water. I can fold the back up and throw my golf clubs in and they are locked and secured or fold all of the panels up to the cab and help my daughter move, it’s a no-brainer.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a backflip Mx 4 and love it. It’s been on my truck for about 3 years with no issues. There is a little bit leaking when I wash my truck, no more than a cup or two of water. I can fold the back up and throw my golf clubs in and they are locked and secured or fold all of the panels up to the cab and help my daughter move, it’s a no-brainer.
My apprehension with the folding ones, and certainly the hard lift covers, is when I have something taller than the side rails. The rollup disappears and allows use of the full bed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My apprehension with the folding ones, and certainly the hard lift covers, is when I have something taller than the side rails. The rollup disappears and allows use of the full bed.
The MX4 has 4 panels that fold Up all the way to the back of the cab And strap in place. You’ve got the whole bed to use for cargo. The MX4 takes About an hour to install and no drilling.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts