Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Tonneau Cover 3rd Gen

56K views 247 replies 68 participants last post by  JNissan22 
#1 ·
Has anyone compared the bed on the 2nd generation vs the 2nd generation? Interested in either the Bakflip MX4 or Bak Revolver. Any input on either appreciate as well.

#238 · (Edited)
Just installed mine, it wasn't too difficult, maybe an hour and a half total. Fitment is perfect!

A few issues i encountered however:
1. When I was tightening the buckle part, the screw would not tighten fully (almost as if it was cross-threaded). When I removed the threaded bit, I found that it collected metal shavings from the pre-drilled holes when I inserted into the cover; those metal shavings caused the screw not to go in all the way obviously. So, for those that haven't installed it yet, just be sure to clean out the metal shavings from the pre-drilled holes before inserting the threaded part.

2. I have one of the locks [or whatever it is called] that clips into the rail, which does not fully go in when pulling on the wire to release it from the rails. I find myself I have to yank that part of the cover upwards had to release it. I could sand it a little bit, but I see no way to adjust this. Anyone else have this issue, or any tips?

3. Not really a cover issue/ I sprayed water all over the truck, and the cover did a good job in keeping the water out. However, I found that water leaks through this part of the bed. I see some people have their bed covers further up than mine, so i'll give that a try.

#240 ·
I didn’t read all posts but I bought the 2021 BakFlip Revolver X2 and it fits. The rails seem a little long, the tailgate wants to scrape them ever so slightly when closing. I also had an issue with not being able to get the clamps all the way up so couldn’t get close to the tailgate so the rails may be dropping ever so slightly. Need to take and cut a notch behind the bed rail. There are already some in the middle but not near the tailgate.

#241 ·
I wanted a retractable cover, so I ordered the Retraxone MX from Real Trucks because they said it would ship in 5 days, but after not hearings anything on an estimated ship date, I called Retrax directly. They told me that they are waiting on the materials needed to build the Retrax retractable covers, so they are now estimating that they will begin shipping in mid, to late April. I called Real Truck (Truck Hero) and cancelled the order, but they had already charged my credit card. Lets see if they are as fast in refunding my money as they were when they charge my card.

On Friday, I ordered the Undercover Ultra Flex 22 for my 2022 Frontier. Says it ships in 5 or less business days from ordering. Has anyone else purchased and installed the Ultra Flex on their 22 Frontier?

#242 ·
On Friday, I ordered the Undercover Ultra Flex 22 for my 2022 Frontier. Says it ships in 5 or less business days from ordering. Has anyone else purchased and installed the Ultra Flex on their 22 Frontier?
Yes, my Undercover Armor Flex took about 1 month to arrive after putting in the order. Mine connects to the utilitrack rail - I put a photo of the clamp on the other thread "Tonneau Waiting Game".

#243 ·
Thanks JJ-SmyrnaGA. I called UnderCover this morning and the said my cover is in the build process and should ship no later than this Friday, March 25th so I'm hoping to see it sometime during the week of March 28th. My Frontier doesn't have the utilitrack, but according to the order, it fits in the 2022 Frontier with or without the utilitrack.

How do you like your Armor Flex? Easy install?

#245 ·
I had the local truck accessories dealer handle the installation. They didn't mention any problems and the fitment is perfect, but it sounds like it may be easier with the utilitrack. There is another thread (by Justad41) who had a little trouble with installation without the utilitrack but I think he has it working now.

I really like the cover. Drove in the rain and got just a small amount of water - a couple of ounces near the front corners, some drips around the back corners. I also like the fact that there's no key to mess with; when your tailgate is locked, the cover can't be opened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.