Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Those rims look fantastic and those hood struts would be nice. Really good job!

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Couldn't find my taping off pics.
I will throw this out there though, each factory rim is 23 pounds and I have proof.

Hopefully that will help somebody, somewhere at some time.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
way off topic just to blow somebody's mind: the front GT-R wheels are 20x9.5 and weigh just 26.1 lbs... fathom that!!

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
jpac811 said:
Hey man, your rims look awesome. I dont want to get rid of my stock rims but i do want to change the way they look. Could you give me a step by step write up of what you did to make yours look so clean and perfect? I would appreciate it a lot.
First thing I did was acquire a second set of SE rims because I knew the process would take several days and I couldn't have my truck off the road for that long since it's my daily driver.

1) Take out the center caps and take the chromed Nissan emblems off.

2) Sand the center caps and the rims with sand paper. You're not trying to remove all of the old paint, you just want to get the first layer/clear off so that the primer and paint have something to grab a hold off.

3) Clean rims with soap and wash rag/mitt and make sure they're completely dry (I left mine overnight). Wipe rims down with acetone to remove every last bit of dust/dirt/grease/debris.

4) The primer, paint and clear I used is made by Duplicolor (yep, rattle can) which I purchased locally at an Advance Auto store. Start with the primer. Give each rim two or three coats of primer letting each coat thoroughly dry in between. If you get any junk in the primer, sand it lightly with 600-800 grit sandpaper before proceeding to paint.

5) If you are doing multiple colors like I did, start with the main color, in my case it was gunmetal. I used not quite three cans of gunmetal for four rims. With the rims laying down to prevent runs, spray even light coats. Multiple light coats will stick much better then one or two really heavy coats. I probably have four or five coats on each rim. If you get any debris or junk in the paint after a coat is dry hit it with some 800-1000 grit sand paper lightly and respray.

6) For the second (third, fourth etc.) color you'll need to tape off what you don't want sprayed. For me, I taped off everything but the spoke areas. Get high quality tape for this, I used 3M and I started with the thin stuff, like 1/4" wide to get the main edge and then went back with the thicker stuff and newspaper to mask the rest. Then I sprayed the black Duplicolor paint into the spoke areas, using four or five light coats, again to insure good coverage. Make sure you are working in a well lit, well ventilated area. Black gloss is hard to see if it has covered entirely, so pay attention. Again, if you get any junk in the paint sand lightly and respray, don't sand your mask off tape, that would be bad. Since I had color code matched red paint from a previous truck project, I taped off the stand offs in the spokes and sprayed them Red Alert to accent them to my truck's red paint.

7) After all of the paint had dried for at least 24 hours I used 1000 grit sand paper to lightly scuff the paint and remove any last bit of junk.

8 ) Clear coat was next, light coats again. I used about three cans of Duplicolor rim paint clear for this. I can't stress enough to use light coats or you'll have a mess with runs, drips etc. Don't be afraid to lightly sand in between coats, just make sure it's completely dry before sanding.

9) I used the same basic steps for the center caps, which I also did two colors on them, black and red, then clear.

10) After everything had dried and cured for several days I hit the rims with a three stage Meguiar's polishing compound, coarse, medium and then fine using my porter cable polisher. Yep, they shine like crazy, almost like a mirror. :)

11) Last but not least I used Wheel Wax on them to give an extra layer of protection from the elements.

Make sure your tire guys mount the wheel weights on the inside/back of the rims when you have the rims installed or all of your hard work will get ruined before you even roll down the road on them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where did you get your peddle set? Im really diggin your wheels by the way, there pretty sick!!

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Where did you get your peddle set? Im really diggin your wheels by the way, there pretty sick!!
Thanks for the compliment.

The pedals were just a cheapo set from Advance Auto that I thought looked pretty nice.
I think they were "Pilot" brand.
They came with tabs that went around the back of the truck's pedals and the tabs were tightened up with screws countersunk flush on the face of the pedals.

If you look closely you will see screws holding them on however what I did to insure that they could not accidentally come off was to actually drill the truck pedals (after taking off the rubber pads) and bolted the new pedal set right onto the truck's pedals.

It was pretty easy really, just took a little time and patience and they'll never just "fall off" like it looked like they would using the flimsy tabs included.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's incredible work. I get a lot of ideas on what I would like to do to both my rides (both Nissan)..maybe one day I'll have the money to go with my ambitions !

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Williamsport.

EDIT: I'll be in Fairless Hills this coming weekend (18th and 19th).
Taking the SE-R though to battle traffic, so no Frontier meet.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts