Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Recently i ordered a second lift kit from my truck and i had some questions regarding the rear end. I have used the search function but could not find much to clarify my question.

I had ordered the dual AAL for the Rear from PRG but due to lack of response i cancelled my order. I have the single AAL on the truck but i ended up taking the overload leaf out the first time around.

Since i ordered a bigger lift now, my front end will be going up another inch and as the truck sits levelled i want the rear to do so after the lift. I ordered an 1 inch block from nisstec for the rear. Now do i put the overload spring back on there with the block or leave it out. Its currently out

Guys from nisstec told me they suggest putting it back on. What do you guys think? I don't tow much if at all or haul heavy loads but don't want to break stuff when i do. Will putting the overload spring back add more lift with the block?

I know with the PRG 2AAL you have to take out the overload spring.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
If you leave it on you'll get about 1/2" more lift, but you'll need longer U-bolts and the ride may be a tad stiff with an empty bed. When I commented in the other thread about the ride, I was referring to my experience having the Nisstec 1-leaf + overload (like they suggested too) vs. PRG/Deaver 2-leaf AAL and no overload (like PRG instructions said).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you leave it on you'll get about 1/2" more lift, but you'll need longer U-bolts and the ride may be a tad stiff with an empty bed. When I commented in the other thread about the ride, I was referring to my experience having the Nisstec 1-leaf + overload (like they suggested too) vs. PRG/Deaver 2-leaf AAL and no overload (like PRG instructions said).
I got longer u bolts from nisstec today that should accommodate for putting the overload leaf back on there and the block. I do not need the extra lift nor do i want it. But if i am going to be doing damage to the pack i just may have them put back on there.

need to find out if the nisstec block is tapered cause if not i need to order shims too. Don't have them now but i feel like i mean need it after the block.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
I got longer u bolts from nisstec today that should accommodate for putting the overload leaf back on there and the block. I do not need the extra lift nor do i want it. But if i am going to be doing damage to the pack i just may have them put back on there.

need to find out if the nisstec block is tapered cause if not i need to order shims too. Don't have them now but i feel like i mean need it after the block.
I think all their blocks are flat, just like everywhere else... which ones did you order? All the blocks i can see on their website look flat.

I forgot to mention the required new center pin bolt when installing the shims as well. =x

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think all their blocks are flat, just like everywhere else... which ones did you order? All the blocks i can see on their website look flat.

I forgot to mention the required new center pin bolt when installing the shims as well. =x
I don't think shims are needed.
I am going to run the 1 inch block with the longer U bolts and no shims for now. PRG doesn't suggest them so i'll wait and see. Just need to decide on the overload. I don't need stiff but i wonder since i got the 5125 it won't be as bad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went through the exact same thing with PRG. I ended up with a Nisstec single AAL. I left the overload in and got 2.5-3" of lift. The ride isn't noticeably different loaded or unloaded.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,021 Posts
The stock springs are soft to begin with, the AAL will add some life but they will flatten quicker with use. I just replaced my PRG AALs after about 100k kilometres and they were toast. They were actually toast two years ago but I was relying on my airbags for the rear. I just bit the bullet last month and had custom heavy duty rear lift springs made for the truck - when he took o my old springs, turned them upside down and dropped them, they almost went flat and stayed that way. lol. AAL is for wheeling articulation and looks, not towing/hauling function

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I went through the exact same thing with PRG. I ended up with a Nisstec single AAL. I left the overload in and got 2.5-3" of lift. The ride isn't noticeably different loaded or unloaded.
did you add just the AAL or did you do a block too?

The stock springs are soft to begin with, the AAL will add some life but they will flatten quicker with use. I just replaced my PRG AALs after about 100k kilometres and they were toast. They were actually toast two years ago but I was relying on my airbags for the rear. I just bit the bullet last month and had custom heavy duty rear lift springs made for the truck - when he took o my old springs, turned them upside down and dropped them, they almost went flat and stayed that way. lol. AAL is for wheeling articulation and looks, not towing/hauling function
i hardly tow or haul with my truck so i am ok with it, i just don't want to mess anything up the one or 2 times i ave to tow something

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
The overload spring is 5/8" thick. In all honesty, when I added the AAL and left the overload spring in, I really didn't notice the ride stiffen up much if at all. If you look how the overload spring sits in relation to the other springs, it is really not contacting anything until you really load down the truck or flex the axle. Around town driving, it pretty much just sits there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since i don't haul or tow much I'm thinking about just putting the block there and leave the overload out. Or maybe put the overload in and leave the block out.....

i don't know lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have the PRG Deaver AAL with the overload and no shims. The ride is comparable to when it was stock, I'm not usually a fan of blocks because depending on the size the axle wrap can get annoying. That said even with the AAL and overload my springs are flat or slight arched backwards and I only tow/haul stuff occasionally. I'd keep the overload but that's just me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the PRG Deaver AAL with the overload and no shims. The ride is comparable to when it was stock, I'm not usually a fan of blocks because depending on the size the axle wrap can get annoying. That said even with the AAL and overload my springs are flat or slight arched backwards and I only tow/haul stuff occasionally. I'd keep the overload but that's just me.
i currently do not run the overload spring, it was replaced by the PRG single AAL. I am not a fan of blocks either. But if i run the overload, i won't get another inch of lift and if i run it with the block it will be too much lift.

my leaf packs are fine, not flat at all. still need to figure out what i will do.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The overload spring is 5/8" thick. So, we are talking 3/8" of height difference.

Personally, I'd go with the Overload spring.
OR go Overload + shim would be between 5/8" and 1" somewhere haha
i did some more measuring today and my rear end sits a 1/4 inch higher than the front with the current setup. That being said, if i go up in inch in the front and add the overload back on, the 5/8 of an inch from the spring and the 1/4 gap should make it he front and back sit about levelled.

The only problem i have now is i have to find the bolt that goes across the top of the overload leaf to keep it tight in the pack. I don't think my shop gave it back to me when they pulled it off the first time.

Any ideas where i can get one?? or even what it is called.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
i did some more measuring today and my rear end sits a 1/4 inch higher than the front with the current setup. That being said, if i go up in inch in the front and add the overload back on, the 5/8 of an inch from the spring and the 1/4 gap should make it he front and back sit about levelled.

The only problem i have now is i have to find the bolt that goes across the top of the overload leaf to keep it tight in the pack. I don't think my shop gave it back to me when they pulled it off the first time.

Any ideas where i can get one?? or even what it is called.
You can probably just use a grade 8 bolt/nut for that, all it does is keep the Overload from rotating out IIRC.

If the rear end of your truck is 1/4" higher, I'd keep it as is. if you go straight level front/rear it'll be fine when you're not moving, but whenever you're rolling the front will be slightly higher. With the 1/4" rake it will look fine.

That might not matter to you, maybe it's just me being picky... but I can't stand when I see a vehicle with the front higher than the rear, looks like it's carrying a ton of bricks or has blown rear shocks
::wink::

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can probably just use a grade 8 bolt/nut for that, all it does is keep the Overload from rotating out IIRC.

If the rear end of your truck is 1/4" higher, I'd keep it as is. if you go straight level front/rear it'll be fine when you're not moving, but whenever you're rolling the front will be slightly higher. With the 1/4" rake it will look fine.

That might not matter to you, maybe it's just me being picky... but I can't stand when I see a vehicle with the front higher than the rear, looks like it's carrying a ton of bricks or has blown rear shocks
::wink::
i may just use that bolt, going to swing by Nissan and see how much they are and if they sell separate. if its too much ill go with your suggestion.

lifting the front a entire inch and not touching the back would for sure give that look and i hate it personally. i just want it to sit close to level when not in motion. i dont care what it looks like going down the freeway cause i wont be able to see it. plus i dont think it will change that much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts