Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing at all about these chips, I see them on ebay claiming to give my 4.0 150hp gain and 40 mpg. Is this like a way too lean running engine or what? Would like to hear from some people that have had these chips for years, not the guys that had em for 6 months and love em. Any engine issues with these in the long run?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Traditional chips (Ebay) = trash

Tuner is the way to go. You'll get about the same MPG; maybe a little better. But the truck just 'feels' better. My wife drove it the other day, with me sitting beside her, and even she was smiling = Get it tuned!

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Let's use common sense here for a minute.
The old adage "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" applies.

The Ebay "wonder chips" are a scam Sacksquash, trust me.

If you want a tuner grab a Superchips, Hypertech or similar you won't regret it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Tuners are getting only better and better, chips are crapshoots of the past

If you have the cash and you want performance go with superchips, it has WAY too many features to not be worth its weight in gold, but i only went with it because UpRev doesn't exist in canada

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If you have the cash and you want performance go with superchips, it has WAY too many features to not be worth its weight in gold, but i only went with it because UpRev doesn't exist in canada
This isn't true. UpRev is world wide. You just get eTunes since there is no protuners there. Heck, there is a member on CT that has UpRev and he is in Dubai, the other side of the world, lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
All those cheap chips do is lean out the fuel mix. They spoof a sensor to tell the truck that less air is coming in so the truck sends less fuel. Instead of a 14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio you get a 16, 17 to one ratio. I dont know the exact numbers, maybe higher. So, yea, they do kind-a work, but there are better ways on the cheap.
On my 87 Hardbody I used a potentiometer to spoof the MAS (or MAP cant remember) so the truck thought less air was entering so it leaned out the mix. The dial simply reduced the electrical signal going to the CPU.
Pro mechanics will tell you that the 14.7 to 1 ratio is the perfect setting for gas, but this is not true, it is the perfect compromise for all conditions we see in N America from sea level to summit and summer to winter. Like a prop airplane pilot you can change the fuel mix to suit the conditions (in this case you can only go leaner, and I had no way to go richer).
Going uphill I could dial it back from stock and lean out the mix, At a certain point I could feel the engine liven up and gain extra power.
I was able to gain 2-3 mpg this way, and the 4x4 v6 hardbody could get 23 (with aid of air dam), up from about 18-19 stock with larger tires, and it was manual and I hypermiled the pooch out of that truck.
If you want a little more power this will work, if you want better mpg this will work.
This is a dangerous game to play because the gasoline actually is part of the cooling system, to keep the cylinders cool. Less gas means less cooling so exhaust temps will rise/cylinder temps will rise, and if they rise too much you will start to melt things like the valves. No amount of fuel savings will pay for such damage.
You will need to drill, tap and install an exhaust temp gauge right at the header to monitor temps.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm leaning towards siding with Daveneo, a few extra bucks in the tank is in no way worth melting pistons. OEMs spend millions developing their engines then matching the fuel & spark curves under dyno conditions, then building in a safety factor for age, manufacturing tolerances and poor end-user maintenance. If your EBay "tuner" is smarter than this corp of engineers and will guarantee no engine damage and pay out-of-pocket for any that occurs, by all means proceed. That's a guarantee you'll never see, guaranteed. My bet is that they are spoofing the coolant temp loop to lean or enrich the engine. That's a trick that's as old as ECMs themselves.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Leaning out a little will do no harm. This is not for the mechanically declined driver tough as damage is possible with no safety net.
"Dont do it this is not safe nobody knows anything or has any idea".... Yawn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts