Nissan Frontier Forum banner

TJM/Bilstein vs OME/Bilstein

12K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  madmac 
#1 ·
I am running OME LD coils on adjustable Bils. Ever since I changed the setting on the Bils to the bottom ("stock height") notch, I have been satisfied with the ride quality. It is a bit stiffer than stock, but not harsh, and the rebound is a little fast, but I don't have the extra bounce that I got when the Bils were set higher. My suspension travel isn't too shabby, and I'm happy with the setup. It's not even close to the harsh ride that people are reporting when the Bils are set for any amount of extra lift.

When NissTec introduced the TJM/Bil coilovers, I noticed a lot of members recommending that setup over the OME/Bils. But almost every member here who has posted a review on the TJM/Bils has talked about harsh rebound, what feels like a topping out issue, and/or an extra bounce after the shocks rebound...even with the Bils set as low as they'll go. It made me wonder how this setup actually feels compared to the OME/Bils.

I still haven't had the chance to experience the TJM/Bils first hand. But this weekend I got the next best thing - a forum member who, until very recently, had the TJM MD coils on Bils on his truck went for a ride in my truck (on a trail with some bumps). He upgraded to different coilovers because he couldn't tolerate the harshness of the TJM/Bils. His truck is 2WD and mine is 4WD. Besides that and the coils, our setups were identical (lowest notch on Bils, sway bar removed).

The verdict: He stated that my truck is noticeably softer than his was. The rebound feels much nicer. He even went as far as to say that if his truck rode like mine does, he may have never felt the need to upgrade his coilovers. Hopefully he chimes in here, but this answered a question that I've had since the TJM/Bil coilovers were released.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm the one she is referring to. What she said is completely true. The bottom line in my opinion is that OME springs seem to ride much better than the TJM's on the bilstiens. They just seem to soak up the bumps much better without being very harsh. The biggest improvement I noticed was that they did not top out near as often as the TJMs. For me they would top out often on any kind of off road terrain. On the road both felt about the same(firm and slightly bouncy).

Jen, I noticed in some of your old pics that you got CB contact.... That is another difference I noticed as I didn't have any CB contact it was in fact topping out of the shock. I'm not sure why that is since it was the same shock....

#4 ·
Someone in here owes me shocks haha. This is a good read for me because I'm probably going to add lift springs if the bils on the 3rd setting with a small spacer don't satisfy height and ride quality wise

Sent from my iPhone

#6 · (Edited)
Someone in here owes me shocks haha.
Who owes you what now?

I hope this isn't an obvious question, but how does the OME/Bil (or TJM/Bil) compare to a stock spring on 5100s set to 2" of lift?
It's hard for me to say because I've never experienced the Bils on stock springs. Best guess after reading multiple reviews: Both setups would be stiffer than stock, and both would have a quicker rebound than stock. The OME's will probably be a bit stiffer, bouncier on certain types of roads (my truck is kinda bouncy on concrete highways), and the rebound probably feels similar.

I guess that will be my next mission...locating a member with Bils at max height on stock springs to compare notes with.

#5 ·
I hope this isn't an obvious question, but how does the OME/Bil (or TJM/Bil) compare to a stock spring on 5100s set to 2" of lift?

I've got a full set of hefty skids and a Leer 180, so my truck sits a bit lower than a stock truck. I don't see a need for a new spring, so I was going to buy the 5100's and put them on the top notch.

I do need the lift, though I don't need anything really "tough". I've discarded the idea of spacers because my current shocks are 4 years old and they're the standard duty SE shocks.

#9 ·
I have a pro-4x and i feel that they are soft. I had an Si before my frontier so it comes to no surprise I feel that way. While that ride wasnt overly stiff it is when compared to a truck. I don't do crazy off roading either, back country roads may not be as pleasant but it's a small trade off

Sent from my iPhone with v-tec(h)

#13 ·
^Again, I have no first hand experience. The OME HD coils are stiff, but other than that it should ride great - the OME nitro shocks are valved to work with the coils, so there shouldn't be any issues with topping out/harshness/jolting. Why the HD coils? Are you planning on having a lot of weight in the front? I think the full OME setup is great; it just wasn't quite enough lift for me.

#14 ·
I'll be doing a full set of skids and sliders, and I already have a prerunner front on there now. Maybe do the Shrock rear sometime in the far future. And with how much I tow and the dooky booty sag I get from the stock leafs, I'm thinking stiffer plus a slight forward rake would be good. I think all that weight plus towing would make any lift I get from the OME MD setup negligible. I'm just planning ahead.

#16 ·
Check out my thread on the OME HD full kit I installed last month. After a 1000 miles the ride has smoothed and softened nicely. Oh yeah I like the rake I have too, it's not for everyone... but I'm starting to like it more and more.

#15 ·
I have the Bils set up with stock coils on the highest setting. Obviously, stiffer than stock. As far as harshness, I guess that depends on your tolerance. I only get CB contact in the most extreme cases, like 40-60 down a dirt road hitting moderate bumps. I also have a winch bumper upfront. If you want a simple, effective lift, I recommend this set up. I got about 2 1/4" -2 1/2" out of it. Let me know if you have any questions or want pictures.

I am contemplating a Titan swap with 650lbs spring Radflos.

#17 ·
I've got OME nitro struts/Ome HD 1.5" springs with a spacer 3" {I think}.+.E-bay UCA. The ride was harsh .. I figured the HD Springs had something to do with it. I was going to go to a LD. also have a shrock front bumper .. my thinking years ago was to go heavy on the springs to make up for the weight of the Shrock front bumper . Fast forward 5 years ...Now I have a broken drivers side spring , right at the top. I was considering upgrading to FOX coilovers or Radflos, that way i can get rid of the spacer. I dunno, I like the way the truck felt with a 4/2 lift lift combo, it just didn't have enough free travel, or drop, making it a harsh ride over speed bumps and potholes .....
Its a been a few years now , and these trucks have been around for a Donkeys age ..there's got to be a good 4" front lift combo that works well out there.
Thanks
Mac in PG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.