Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go to Titan wheels, 6x5.5/17.What parts do I need for a M226 to do this?
thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think you just need wheel adapters. As far as I know, there's not an easy swap out for the M226 axles unless you make custom axles.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know I need Titan hubs , front and rear.
Titan rotors, front and rear.
A front axle with a spline that fits the r180 and a spline that fits the Titan front hub.
I run a custom axles in the front now (300c , 5" over stock)but uses the Frontier hub.
Not sure if they use the same calipers, etc.
A3C43677-285E-4D3C-B668-5F0E451E7127.jpeg 58A09137-E9B6-419D-9553-67D6459BBA14.jpeg
B69A3B17-5D24-4CD5-ABA0-002090A85693.jpeg

·
Registered
885 Posts
Titan/Armada/QX56 do not share steering knuckles with Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder, and if I remember correctly, the hub-side spline count isn't the same between the two designs. My expectation is that everything steering-knuckle and outboard would have to be changed, and and M205 front differential would be necessary if using Titan control arms, or custom CV shafts if using Frontier control arms.

If it's any consolation I had started thinking down this route but I could not find good pictures of the M226 axle housing ends for both the Frontier and the Titan, I was thinking that if the Titan and Frontier had the same bolting flange on the outer ends of the housing then buying Titan axles and having the splining machined further along the shafts, then cut the shafts down to Frontier lengths would have allowed the change in rear end bolt pattern, but I never got all the info and didn't continue pursuing it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The front hubs use the same splines between Titan and Frontier. The hubs have different bolt count/patterns to mount to the spindles (steering knuckles). I've used Titan CVs with both the Titan and Frontier hubs.

Besides getting new axles and hubs for the M226, I'm not sure what the brake assembly is like. I think it is different though.

@whistler if you need Titan spindles I have a pair of stock ones. I could sell them to you for a decent price, and shipping would be reasonable down to your area.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first set of axles I received would not fit .
They were suppose to be for a r180 and Frontier hubs.
The inner CV splines were different. They would not fit into the Frontier CC.
Not exactly sure why. I forgot. I think
Brandon thought I was running a 205.
I will check with him tonight.

Thanks for the offer on the spindles but they are cheap enough new.
Also, my arms use 1.75 uni- balls.
He would have to fabricate.
He always did if you used 205.
Since I ran a r180.
I may have to now.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May need your spindles. I will
check.
I will let you know.
thanks

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I need the spindle,what are you asking?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paypal wants the recipient's name.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Money sent.

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is slightly OT, but the NV1500/2500/3500 is seeing a fair number of 4x4 conversions, retaining the factory 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern rather than retrofitting to the Titan's 6 on 5.5". It looks like they're using an off-the-shelf hub and bearing assembly, but to-date no one has identified what part number. There's even a Nissan dealer that's doing conversions of the larger NVs with as many various Nissan OE parts as possible, and they're also using the same 8 on 6.5" pattern.

The RWD-application front hubs do not appear to have splines. So I'm really curious what they're using, and if it does turn out to be an off-the-shelf part, that may allow for another possible wheel bolt pattern change depending on what can be done with the rear axles. Granted, for most Frontiers and Xterras 8 on 6.5" is pretty severely overkill, but for a more stressful application like your prerunner truck and possibly for someone towing a trailer whose wheel bolt pattern is 8 on 6.5", and obviously many Titan owners might love to have the 8 lug option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is slightly OT, but the NV1500/2500/3500 is seeing a fair number of 4x4 conversions, retaining the factory 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern rather than retrofitting to the Titan's 6 on 5.5". It looks like they're using an off-the-shelf hub and bearing assembly, but to-date no one has identified what part number. There's even a Nissan dealer that's doing conversions of the larger NVs with as many various Nissan OE parts as possible, and they're also using the same 8 on 6.5" pattern.

The RWD-application front hubs do not appear to have splines. So I'm really curious what they're using, and if it does turn out to be an off-the-shelf part, that may allow for another possible wheel bolt pattern change depending on what can be done with the rear axles. Granted, for most Frontiers and Xterras 8 on 6.5" is pretty severely overkill, but for a more stressful application like your prerunner truck and possibly for someone towing a trailer whose wheel bolt pattern is 8 on 6.5", and obviously many Titan owners might love to have the 8 lug option.
Any link to the NV 4x4's? Curios. Sounds like it would make a great camping rig.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have the majority of the parts ordered.
Front Titan hubs(6x5.5 b.c.)
Front Titan rotors , calipers ( increased size of rotor, 2007 rotors are smaller than later model years), Larger calipers.
Rear Titan hubs,(6x5.5, b.c.) Titan backing
plates,(to match Titan rotors).
Rotors , calioers,
Used Titan steering knuckle (thanks JDT)
Bora rear wheel soacers(2.5") ,750 increase from what is on there. now.
After doing the calculations , this should move the tires further out by1,818",
Looks like I will run Method wheels, 704 Titanium. Discount tire , what kind of price can you give me? Need 6 minimum , 8-10 If I decide to race it again.
Going back to BFG from Toyos.
315/70/17 AT. Load range C.
Discounted price if on their race program .
We are, which is good for all tires,(chase/tow vehicles, trailer , UTV, etc.
Also , can use BFG pit services at no cost
in case I decide to race it again.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you're swapping Titan axle shafts into the Frontier axle housing, please take loads of pictures, like the ends of the axle tubes, the plates on the axle shafts, etc. I'm sure it would be most helpful to anyone wishing to do this bolt pattern conversion to have their trailer and truck match.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry . Titan swapped a long time ago.
Used PRG upper arms, Oem lower arms, tie rods, extended axles, Fox 2,5 reservoir shocks custom built.
hydro bump stops from Radflo, limit staps, etc
Been running BTF arms. axles. tie rods, etc
2.5 reservoir shocks, 8 inch travel.
Going to the third major change this repair/ renovation.
I am not capable of this work due to an illness.
I am sure Ben will take photos and will
post/

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sold the trailer when we bought this trailer from a friend.
We have an enclosed trailer also.
We can use either for the 10 car or Frontier.
The 10 car uses 15" wheels, Ftontier uses 16" but going to 17's.
No need to match to trailer.
E3F6A65D-0E10-4B1D-A91C-B788DCCBAB6D.jpeg
3897779D-005B-406E-9A0F-DB8E6787820F.jpeg

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
l
Sorry, just noticed what you ask. Will
do.
I will be using axles built by BTF Fab.
The old ones used straight Frontier parts fior the r180.
The new ones will still use the r180 but will match the Titan splines.

·
Registered
885 Posts
l
Sorry, just noticed what you ask. Will
do.
I will be using axles built by BTF Fab.
The old ones used straight Frontier parts fior the r180.
The new ones will still use the r180 but will match the Titan splines.
No problem.

I was actually more curious about what you're going to do on the rear axle, since I assume you don't want to run spacers. If the two different widths of M226 both have the same axle flanges for the retainer plates then suddenly migrating the rear becomes a whole lot easier as the titan parts should just bolt up. If the flanges are different though, then it may require a lot more work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts