Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering doing a titan swap on my 05 Nismo. Where did you guys that have done it get the front/rear ends? Do the titan Rears have the E-locker that my frontier rear end does?

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
By Titan swap are you referring to just the suspension swap..or putting front and rear titan axles under the truck?

The titan swap you see on this forum are typically just the suspension components up front: Titan UCAs, Titan LCA's, extended axle shafts and if you are 2wd (I can't remember) then you can also add the spindles. If you are 4wd then you can get the titan front diff for the front as well, but do not have to.

If you are doing the front/rear end axle swap this is the guy you wanna talk to: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/4x4-titan-swap-w-pix-26057/

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm referring to the entire IFS and rear end out of the Titan. Changing the suspention wouldn't do anything to strengthen the front and rear ends. The reason I don't want to do the SAS is solely for the ride quality on the Highway.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I'm referring to the entire IFS and rear end out of the Titan. Changing the suspention wouldn't do anything to strengthen the front and rear ends. The reason I don't want to do the SAS is solely for the ride quality on the Highway.
???????yes it would.

have fun with axle wrap.

from what people say the rear end swap is ungodly mindwrecking for stupid reasons. and the front is fairly easy. i plan on eventually doing sas and some other kind of rear axle. but if you going to go through all the trouble i would go with another stronger axle. and dont get an 08 or above rear if you wanna lsd.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
You don't want to SAS a 2nd gen unless you have $$$$ to drop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't want to SAS a 2nd gen unless you have $$$$ to drop.
It has nothing to do with money, simply ride quality. I like the way my truck rides, the Frontier stuff just isn't strong enough. So far at least the ***-end is weak, because it broke on a hillclimb about a week ago, and now I'm irritated.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
You will need Titan UCA and LCA, a Titan m205 front diff with 3.36 gears and then a Titan m226 with 3.36 gears. It is up to you thou if you require the locker or can deal with a TrueTrac which is a true LSD.

The rear axle is the hard one since the shock tabs are different and the axle/leaf mounts are different. These two things will need to be changed and you should be good to go. P.S. the 04-07 axles are 32 spline and the 08+ Titan axles are 35 spline which means the TT only fits the early titan m226.

Thats about it but it will cost a pretty penny. Figure something like 500 for the front diff plus halfshafts and uca/lca's not to mention you should get the spindles and hubs with brakes to run the 6x5.5 pattern to go along with the rear.

Side Note: If you do the complete Titan swap with brakes, are you going to do the Master Cylinder too?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I'll be changing the master cyliner as well, if I decide to go this route.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
It has nothing to do with money, simply ride quality. I like the way my truck rides, the Frontier stuff just isn't strong enough. So far at least the ***-end is weak, because it broke on a hillclimb about a week ago, and now I'm irritated.
titan has the same exact axle except longer unless you get an 08+ which only changed the axle shafts , so its not really any stronger
the front diff on the other hand is stronger because its an M205 vs R180

Yes, I'll be changing the master cyliner as well, if I decide to go this route.
if your looking for one i have one sitting the house that was bought brand new , installed for less than a day and removed

removed because i didnt not have the bigger brake kit , only longer brake lines and there was too much pressure without the larger brakes

·
Registered
104 Posts
oh yea if your doing the front titan swap you can keep the stock spindle the titan spindle will not do any diff it will stay the same in some cases it can drop 1/2 or and inch with the titan spindle. good luck

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
oh yea if your doing the front titan swap you can keep the stock spindle the titan spindle will not do any diff it will stay the same in some cases it can drop 1/2 or and inch with the titan spindle. good luck
Since you have a Titan already you probably over look the simple fact that the 2nd gen Frontiers have the 6x4.5 bolt pattern but the Titan has the 6x5.5 pattern. Now, it would be awesome if we shared patterns but we just don't. Now, if he only swapped the arms and front/rear diffs, he would have to have 2 spares, one with the Frontier pattern and one with the Titan pattern.

Now, if he swaps the spindles/hubs he would have the same 6x5.5 pattern around. This is why it was suggested. If not, then he would either have to run different rims front and rear or adapters which would push the wheels out another 1.5 inches which is a bit much after already widening it 3 inches each side with the Titan swap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yup true that once finish it will look like a M/T kit. and about the pattern ive seen a frontier who did some sort of conversion to put the 18 titan rims so i see why not.about the whole swap then he better have a temper and patience since many things arent gonna plug and play. first off if he does the LCA and UCA convention without the spindle their is no sweat their. the rear is were the trouble will start. since your planing to offroad i would recommend the 2004-2007 axle since i have an 2008 and no E-lockers or TT yet so i loose alot of power once i get it going ill spank the older titans. ill say for sure the 2008+ titan axle is far more reliable thats for sure i had a 2005 titan nothing went wrong but i hear stories about the axle messing up if you dont get the TT. if i miss something tell me cause i read super fast and type fast too

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
yup true that once finish it will look like a M/T kit. and about the pattern ive seen a frontier who did some sort of conversion to put the 18 titan rims so i see why not.about the whole swap then he better have a temper and patience since many things arent gonna plug and play. first off if he does the LCA and UCA convention without the spindle their is no sweat their. the rear is were the trouble will start. since your planing to offroad i would recommend the 2004-2007 axle since i have an 2008 and no E-lockers or TT yet so i loose alot of power once i get it going ill spank the older titans. ill say for sure the 2008+ titan axle is far more reliable thats for sure i had a 2005 titan nothing went wrong but i hear stories about the axle messing up if you dont get the TT. if i miss something tell me cause i read super fast and type fast too
Nope, you summed up my previous post pretty well. You just left out the info about the axle splines and why it is stronger.

The only other option he has it to re-drill the axles for the 6x4.5 pattern but that requires more work and may not be worth the extra work to keep a bolt pattern that will then require re-drilled rotors and aftermarket rims. You have to remember, the brakes on the T is larger then the Frontier so they require larger rims.

Basically, it a royal pain to do the swap but the results are worth it in the end.

Side Note: I am not sure but fiberglass may also be needed to keep the essential clearances while flexed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nope, you summed up my previous post pretty well. You just left out the info about the axle splines and why it is stronger.

The only other option he has it to re-drill the axles for the 6x4.5 pattern but that requires more work and may not be worth the extra work to keep a bolt pattern that will then require re-drilled rotors and aftermarket rims. You have to remember, the brakes on the T is larger then the Frontier so they require larger rims.

Basically, it a royal pain to do the swap but the results are worth it in the end.

Side Note: I am not sure but fiberglass may also be needed to keep the essential clearances while flexed.
The more teeth on the pinion helps keep the "per tooth" loading from the ring gear down but this becomes less of an issue as overall size of the ring & pinion increases...BUT out rear ends are small, one of the reasons Nissan/Dana kept so many teeth on the pinion (which means a higher gear ratio) was to retain more strength for it's size...so the new rear ends 2008+ titans have 35 over the older ones having 32 teeth. having more teeth on the new ones pretty much has made the rear end durable and trust able to braking down like the older axles. oh and yea its worth the swap at the end. about the drill idk it can be done.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The more teeth on the pinion helps keep the "per tooth" loading from the ring gear down but this becomes less of an issue as overall size of the ring & pinion increases...BUT out rear ends are small, one of the reasons Nissan/Dana kept so many teeth on the pinion (which means a higher gear ratio) was to retain more strength for it's size...so the new rear ends 2008+ titans have 35 over the older ones having 32 teeth. having more teeth on the new ones pretty much has made the rear end durable and trust able to braking down like the older axles. oh and yea its worth the swap at the end. about the drill idk it can be done.
I think you are confusing the ring/pinion and the axles splines. It is true, more surface area to carry the load is better. The difference between the axles shafts is that they increased the spline in the 08s. This makes the axles stronger but does nothing to fix the spider which usually fail initially. The ring/pinion is completely different thou. The ratio between the 2 of these are used to figure out your gear ratio. You either have the 2.94 or the 3.36.

Side Note: Since you are in CA. It has been rumored that Hoopers is able to modify the TT to accominidate the 35 spline axles. It may be worth a call.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you are confusing the ring/pinion and the axles splines. It is true, more surface area to carry the load is better. The difference between the axles shafts is that they increased the spline in the 08s. This makes the axles stronger but does nothing to fix the spider which usually fail initially. The ring/pinion is completely different thou. The ratio between the 2 of these are used to figure out your gear ratio. You either have the 2.94 or the 3.36.

Side Note: Since you are in CA. It has been rumored that Hoopers is able to modify the TT to accominidate the 35 spline axles. It may be worth a call.
whops my bad yup didnt read clearly and yea i have 3.36 oh yea ive known about the hooper gears but no i dont want to do that TT fab to my rear end. he is now working on the 2008+ gears so ill wait till he finish is it. then ill do TT

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have read several posts about Titan swaps. Sorry for my lack of intelligence and understanding on this, but I was wondering if someone could explain in laymans terms what this is. Also the benefits.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I'm looking for is stronger running gear. Being that the Titan is a full size, it has larger running gear and from what I can tell stronger. Apparently most of the "Titan Swaps"you hear about on hear is just the suspention...Maybe it's a cheaper way to get a small lift. I'm not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
like i said unless you get an 08 titan rear axle , the 04-07 are same as the frontier only wider

technically yeah a full size truck should have larger running gear but thats not the case with nissan

but hey if you set on goin with a titan axle , go for it :nana:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts