Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've had an issue with driving on the highway. My truck tends to wander needing constant correction and it's getting unpleasant to drive at those speeds. I went to a chain for the alignment and maybe the tech isn't getting it, but I'm think I need more caster.

So my question is fit those run Titan swaps, what are your alignment specs? I run PRG uppers, tie rod extensions and SAW 2.5s.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
What do your LCA cam bolts look like. If you take it to an alignment shop, they will simply punch the model into the computer and it will show no camber or caster adjustment only toe. You need to pre adjust the cam bolts for max caster, rear out front in. Since you have PRG UCA you might need to make the adjustments there. What are your current alignment specs. Please share.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I do not have the specs. I'm planning on going to a friend's shop Saturday, so I wanted to be prepared with as much insight as possible.

I forgot to mention I'm running 285/75/16 as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The last time I wheeled, I smacked the front lower control arm bracket/subframe pretty good, to where it bent it back some (gotta figure out a way to cover that). From my understanding the front cam bolt is what controls the caster (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... but.. ever since bending that bracket, I am also getting some wandering on the highway, so I feel like my caster is now out of alignment. Like was said earlier, most alignment shops will just pull up factory specs which say no caster alignment is needed. You need to go somewhere where they either know what they're doing really well, or will adjust your caster to your liking. Sorry, i have no specs for mine, but if you are wandering, and it isn't the tie rod ball joints, it is most likely caster.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Might need to thread out the upper heims by half a turn, that is what I'm having to do after replacing the heims. They weren't in spec but are getting closer now.
Also another thing! Have them align it under a TITAN and not frontier and try that! When I had the TRE I could never get it correct until I had them align it as a Titan. Now with heimed steering it's alignable via frontier specs. Why that is I do not know, but was the only way I could get it aligned properly.
I also have the print out from my last alignment I'll try to remember and post a picture of!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I had/have wandering issues as well, here are a few things I've found to help.

- Higher tire pressure (at 35psi would wander like crazy! at 40psi it is MUCH better)
- Max caster possible (as others have said, cam bolts maxed to get the most caster possible)
- Correct toe (to far in or out will cause darting and wandering)
- Stiffer springs (less roll, more control with a more responsive steering wheel)

And just as an observation, the more cali lean (squat) the better it will track because it adds even more caster. Have been on both ends of the stinkbug/ squat spectrum, the cali lean drives much more true and straight.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm set to get regas there reservoirs next Thursday. I want to chase every least expensive thing possible.

I also have vibrations, especially at 60-65, but that's a whole different thread.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Here's how it is currently. As of 11/2/16, I will be adjusting my upper control arms on both sides 1 more half turn atleast, as it's still wandering a little but gets better every half turn. For me each half turn is about .1-.25 of a degree on the machine if that helps any!

Lettme know if you can't see the little numbers and try to do better. Photobucket keeps screwing it up..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great to reference thanks. I assumed I'd be aiming for around 2.5° of caster so that helps a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently had this issue with my Titan Swapped Frontier. First issue was the steering rack. My rack had some play in it so no matter how close the alignment was it would not track perfectly. In addition, I am running aftermarket wheels with offset that push the wheels out further and cause rubbing on full lock. After the rack was replaced, I had the truck aligned to factory toe & camber. The caster, I had adjusted to 3.2 degrees which places the axle farther forward to eliminate the rubbing. After all of these adjustments the truck drives perfectly. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is where I left it today. Had free access to a rack and my friend and I messed with it. Toe is dead on, but I can't seem to get the caster any higher.

Thoughts? Once again, PRG UCAs, SAW 2.5s, Tie Rod Extensions, 285/75/16 and 7089 wheels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm running a similar setup as you. Have you adjusted the upper arms?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running a similar setup as you. Have you adjusted the upper arms?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I didn't think they would affect the caster. Should I be? The front cam bolt felt like it was at the top of the lope, but if started affecting the toe and couldn't get anymore out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts