Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to place an order for a suspension refresh. I need to replace everything in the front end anyway, so I’m doing all Titan/Armada running gear instead. I’d like to hold off on coilovers and aftermarket UCAs. I know, anything worth doing is worth doing right, but if I can get close to 8” of travel and a little lift for the same money I’d spend to replace the oem gear, I’m in.

My question is this: for those of you on Titan swaps, at what “lift” would you suspect your down travel would be limited by factory UCAs? Titan guys seem to run into contact much over 3” of lift. I’m running about 150# extra over the front axle so with tundra struts I’d expect 3-3.5” of lift. More than I want but I don’t want to compromise; just go full-on cheap and save for the good stuff.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
I'd wait, save a few pennies and get the SPC arms. You will then take full advantage of the Titan swap (i'm at 9.75" of travel) as well as be able to properly align your truck. I've ran the tundra 5100/4runner/glamis top hats for about 30k miles and am still mostly happy, so you can for sure wait on the fancy coil overs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd wait, save a few pennies and get the SPC arms. You will then take full advantage of the Titan swap (i'm at 9.75" of travel) as well as be able to properly align your truck. I've ran the tundra 5100/4runner/glamis top hats for about 30k miles and am still mostly happy, so you can for sure wait on the fancy coil overs.
Thanks, Sean. I hear you man. I had the 5100/tundra/AllDogsOffroad- top hats all budgeted out, then took a step back. I'm just not excited about dropping $500 on strut assemblies I'll likely replace in the future. The inexpensive tundra strut assemblies I'm considering can't take advantage of the aftermarket UCA travel capabilities anyway. I'm only considering running those struts to get it back on the road - the other suspension bits are needed asap. Just wondering if it's going to be a massive fail running 3+" of lift on stock Titan UCAs, or can I live with that for a year, ya know?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the record, it's an 08 V8 Pathfinder so the diff is already there, not an additional expense. Just replacing the axles with Titan/Armada units.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Let me rephrase a bit: I expect some coil bucket contact to occur. At 3-4” of lift, probably half of which comes from the strut body being 3” longer and the rest from spring rate, will I have 3”+ of down travel with a Titan swap before CBC on a stock UCA?

My logic is this: presumably, the Titans sit “higher” from the factory and have some geometry built into their control arms to account for this stance v Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder models - to put the upper control arm in the middle of its arc at ride height. Perhaps this is a foolish assumption. Part of my guess here is based on Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder models experiencing CBC at lower lift levels v Titans. And the Titan just being bigger. Assuming this is true, a 3” lift with a Titan swap would yield a different relationship between the UCA and bucket than a straight 3” lift on a Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder. Is it enough to get by for a while, given that the 4.5” travel of the replacement struts will be a limiting factor as well?

A decade ago, a lot of guys were running spacers on Frontier struts and stock Titan UCAs for their swaps. Not ideal, probably less so even than running a cheap Tundra strut assembly, but something that was done. Do you know one of those people? Was the CBC or the strut the limiting factor?

P.S. Kudos to you if you read and followed all that!

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I jack up my truck and measure how far the wheel moves away from the top of the wheel well before hitting the bucket is that a real answer for measuring wheel travel? Because I'll go do that to get you an answer on SPC arms at a 4inch lift lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anyways here's some pics. I may need some limit straps

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, Nice! How do you like those 6112s? Looks like 8ish inches of travel if compression is the same as your droop. Did you run a modified top hat with those? Thanks btw. This will make my decision easier. I’ve had my eye on those 6112s but hadn’t seen anyone running them on a TS yet. You think you’d get more droop with a different arm and uniballs? Hell, it looks like the CV and upper ball joints are about maxed out at CBC, so I’d consider that your limiting strap!

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Wow, Nice! How do you like those 6112s? Looks like 8ish inches of travel if compression is the same as your droop. Did you run a modified top hat with those? Thanks btw. This will make my decision easier. I’ve had my eye on those 6112s but hadn’t seen anyone running them on a TS yet. You think you’d get more droop with a different arm and uniballs? Hell, it looks like the CV and upper ball joints are about maxed out at CBC, so I’d consider that your limiting strap!
Yes, details..... Looks like no Travel correction top hats?

·
Registered
354 Posts
They're 6112 coilovers from PRG. They ride great! The front of the truck goes over speeds bumps and pot holes incredibly easy.
Honestly idk what correction top hats are but I can tell you I didn't buy them when I put the suspension together. I think the only mistake I made was going for a 4inch lift. I think a 3inch lift would be better for suspension geometry and stability at high speeds. If anyone sees something wrong with my suspensions please let me know lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Whats a good method to test compressed travel? I have access to a forklift if that's needed.

something else of note, At the max droop where the coil bucket becomes my limit strap, the electrical wires are almost taught. They can still be moved a little but if there were another inch or two of down travel they would probably break.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Here's a complete list of my parts. The front left cv axle boot developed a hole after installing so to replace it and have an extra, I bought an Infinity axle. So currently my cv axles are actually 1 rugged rocks extended axle and an Infinity axle.

Reactions: VirginiaDoug

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the breakdown! Yes, as Sean mentioned, the top hats allow for more compression without effecting down travel. So long as you don’t run into coil bind and your spring rate isn’t too high, you pick up 2” of travel as additional compression.

Titan swap mounts

To measure compression, you could just put a floor jack under the lower control arm, or forklift the tire, and jack it up until the shock is bottomed out or the coils bind and take a measurement. Your travel is the sum of your droop and compression.

I never could find extended and compressed lengths for the 6112s so I’m not sure if they have more travel than the 5100s or not, but I’d imagine so with that longer spring in there.

Thanks for taking the time to measure what you have already.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well tried getting the jack in the correct spot to test compression but the jack is too big to get right up against the tire. I'll consider using a forklift after I get my rear extended brake lines put on. Don't want to accidentally stretch the current ones apart getting the compression numbers

Reactions: VirginiaDoug

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sean, I love it buddy. You cut any snap ring grooves in there? I imagine so, otherwise those tundra springs and top-hat preload would run you sky-high!

Glad to see you can tuck it. I’d always wondered if all that track width screwed with the ability to bury the tire in the fender. Apparently not. You still on 285s too!? I may dump some more money and go the 5100 route after seeing all that travel put to good use!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sean, how much lift did your set up add?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts