Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been looking for a few days for a titan front diff. Anyone seen any or know of one? Also, seems like the price can very from $400 to $1500, what are people getting them for at the wreckers? People who have actually purchased them.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just got a quote for one from an 05 Titan with 135000 miles for $700 cdn.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to be able to find one for $500 or less (Canadian). I'm heading back home today from a long stint in China, so I'll start checking local salvage yards. I was checking out wrecked titans at auction and you can get them for dirt cheap. It would be nice to strip one for what I want, sell the rest and drop what's left off for scrap. My wife would never go for that and my neighbours would start talking...

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
you have a garage? what does it matter what the neighbors say, it'll only be a few weeks.... but then there's happy wife, happy life..... gotta sweet talk her into it... remind her how much peace of mind she'll have, knowing you won't split the case when hammering up the rockledge, so she won't have to walk a mile out to get help... ::wink::

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife is pretty great, but she draws the line at wrecked vehicles as an "investment". I would have an easier time getting the okay to drop $1700 at the dealership for a brand new one before getting an entire Titan for half that, but with a flat roof.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does anyone know if the cases still split if you put a Lokka in the stock diff? I thought the main problem with them was the spider gears.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I just got a quote for one from an 05 Titan with 135000 miles for $700 cdn.
That still seems like a lot for the weaker 2 rib diff with that many miles. I just got one from a 2011 with 50k on it for $400 shipped to my door. Wrong gearing but that was getting changed anyways. 500-800 is not bad for a newer used low miles one with 3.36 gearing.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
That still seems like a lot for the weaker 2 rib diff with that many miles. I just got one from a 2011 with 50k on it for $400 shipped to my door. Wrong gearing but that was getting changed anyways. 500-800 is not bad for a newer used low miles one with 3.36 gearing.

That's a good point about the 2 rib vs 3 rib, I'd forgot about that. Thanks!

Although up here in Canada I'm not sure I'll find a deal like what you got. I was surprised 700 cdn was all they were asking and that I even was able to find one that would work with the C200K out of SV lol

I suppose buying a wrecked truck would make sense to me if I were looking to use the front suspension,diff and axle assembly along with the motor, maybe the rear axle and any other bits that may cross over but it seems like a lot of extra work and time to save a few hundred bucks. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If you found one with a good motor the engine swap would be awesome, I have been watching how easy they have been doing this.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you found one with a good motor the engine swap would be awesome, I have been watching how easy they have been doing this.

Exactly what I've been thinking.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Try and find a differential with the current gear ratio you have.Will save quite a bit of money if you don't have to change ring and pinion.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Try and find a differential with the current gear ratio you have.Will save quite a bit of money if you don't have to change ring and pinion.
Thats usually a 3.36, the hardest one to get.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Just checked.Ring and pinion from Rugged Rocks,$360.Install kit,$170.Labor cost is probably equall to or more than the cost of the parts if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Just checked.Ring and pinion from Rugged Rocks,$360.Install kit,$170.Labor cost is probably equall to or more than the cost of the parts if you can't do it yourself.
True, but if you are going to titan swap with the 205 and you are on 33's you should at least go to 3.73 gears. Thats what I am doing. I have no power with the 3.36's anymore. If you don't wheel anything more then dirt roads then I suppose you would be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
You are right of course.
I have 4:11 ring and pinion gears,front and rear rebuild kits,Lokka locker for the front(I installed a Tru trac limited slip a few years ago) waiting to be installed when I am feeling better.
I also bought a spare 180 since the one in the truck did not have the correct carrier.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies. Fellow member totally helped me out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat, looking for a 205 in Canada but they seem a bit steep, about a grand by the time it's shipped to me. Is there a better source than through wreckers at car-part.com?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm in the same boat, looking for a 205 in Canada but they seem a bit steep, about a grand by the time it's shipped to me. Is there a better source than through wreckers at car-part.com?
I've found Kijiji has some good finds from time to time but you have to be patient and not in a hurry, especially for Nissan stuff. Ebay has them sometimes to. That said the 05 unit i found was still 700 bucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts