Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this issue has been brought up 1000's of times and yes I have searched guys but I just want to make sure I got all all my facts right before pulling the gun.

1. m205 will work for the front because im auto
2. I can run titan half shaft LH and RH sides or v8 Pathy half shafts either one right?
3. What years due i need to worry about for the titan? 2004-2007? and what years are best if any?
4. What was the going cost for you guys that did it? Looking online at some parts places finding them used would not be that bad.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
-just cuz your an auto doesnt mean your gear ratio is right. certain m205s have a gear ratio nearly identical to what is run in auto cc le/se's (c200k). this may not be true of your m226 rear.
-you can run either set of shafts but going titan shafts means getting new upper and lower arms, end links, other things...
-i believe it is 05+ titans with the big tow package that you are looking for, but not 100% sure...
-cost goes up going with pathy shafts (harder to find, may need to go new), but consider that cost also goes up with having to buy new upper and lower arms and other things if you go titan half shafts....

search more. check out thenewx.org. more ppl have done it over there.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
-just cuz your an auto doesnt mean your gear ratio is right. certain m205s have a gear ratio nearly identical to what is run in auto cc le/se's (c200k). this may not be true of your m226 rear.
-you can run either set of shafts but going titan shafts means getting new upper and lower arms, end links, other things...
-i believe it is 05+ titans with the big tow package that you are looking for, but not 100% sure...
-cost goes up going with pathy shafts (harder to find, may need to go new), but consider that cost also goes up with having to buy new upper and lower arms and other things if you go titan half shafts....

search more. check out thenewx.org. more ppl have done it over there.

You can get titan front diff's in 2.97 or 3.35. Please refer to my axles/gears thread for more information on what you have. Since you are a NISMO 4x4 you have 3.35. Titan has 3.35's on either Offroad or Big tow models. 04+ for big tow, 05+ for Offroad.

You have to run pathfinder shafts if you want to keep stock track width. They are expensive. You probably will have to get them new. If you want to run titan shafts, you need to be titan swapped (titan shafts are longer so you need the titan front track width)

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
... If you want to run titan shafts, you need to be FULLY titan swapped...
fixed ^^^ that means both upper and lower control arms from a titan, replace end links on rack and pinion or get tie rod extensions, titan spindles, titan front rotors, titan front brake calipers, extended brake lines, titan lug pattern wheels (6x5.5 iirc)... the list goes on and on. it's worth it but it gets involved. i'd recommend the 06+ diffs from what i've read, they seem to have the least amount of problems, think the older ones have a different style axle seal that tends to leak more often. not hard or expensive to replace, just a hastle on the older ones

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
do the pathfinder shafts have to be the v8 ones

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
you sure you searched?

You can get the V6 ones - but they'll be remarkably similar to ones underneath your truck right now :comphead:

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
HKYStormFront said:
that means both upper and lower control arms from a titan, replace end links on rack and pinion or get tie rod extensions, titan spindles, titan front rotors, titan front brake calipers, extended brake lines, titan lug pattern wheels (6x5.5 iirc)... the list goes on and on.
Whoah there I was under the impression you could do the swap, with uppers lowers titan diff & half shafts and extended break lines. At least thats what i got out of talkin to greg, he said there was no need for the lug patterns and all that. Im in the process of getting all the parts, so yay or nay?

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
if you buy PRG shafts that convert yes, they are cheaper than v8 pathy axles, more expensive than stock titan shafts from a junkyard tho. he may have been speaking of taking off the cv's and moving them to a longer shaft from a titan half shaft, if that's the case i don't know if that works or not, i can't imagine it'd be cheaper tho

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
The plot thickens.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
the titan stuff can stop at the spindle. you can get the titan diff and shafts and swap out the outer cv's to the frontier ones and keep your lug pattern

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but if I don't ask I won't learn.

What front diff do the V8 Pathfinders have? Is it not an M205? Could you not just get the front diff and axles out of a V8 Pathfinder to keep the stock width and then re-gear both the front and rear once Superior releases the M205 gears?

That's assuming that larger tires are coming along with the added strength of the new front drive-line.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but if I don't ask I won't learn.

What front diff do the V8 Pathfinders have? Is it not an M205? Could you not just get the front diff and axles out of a V8 Pathfinder to keep the stock width and then re-gear both the front and rear once Superior releases the M205 gears?

That's assuming that larger tires are coming along with the added strength of the new front drive-line.
This is all true. The only issue is finding a v8 pathy diff over the Titan one (they are the same) just because the amount of junked pathys are lower then the Titans.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Some people are talking about a Titan swap and peolpe are talking about a M205 swap.

To do a M205 swap and keep the same Trace width

M205 from a Titan with 3.36 gears.
V8 pathfinder complete half shafts

To do a Titan swap with a R180 diff

Stock Titan lower control arms
Stock Titan upper or after-market control arms
SAW center half shafts ( you will need to swap the C.V. joint from your frontier on to these shafts )
PRG tie rod extensions

To do a Titan swap and a M205 swap

M205 from a Titan with 3.36 gears
Titan complete half shafts
PRG tie rod extensions

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Thanks mike. damn now i gotta buy tie rod extensions.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
To do a Titan swap and a M205 swap

M205 from a Titan with 3.36 gears
Titan complete half shafts
PRG tie rod extensions
i thought if you use titan half shafts, the spindles and brakes had to be changed too?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
i thought if you use titan half shafts, the spindles and brakes had to be changed too?
A few years back nizmut discovered that the axle splines on the outer C.V. joints on a Titan axle are the same as the Frontier.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
wow, totally did not know that. learn something every day. thanks for the correction mike. sorry for the missinformation kamikaze!! :comphead:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts