Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The time has come to replace my original tires and I was just wondering if any of you can give me some ideas as to what to look for. I need something all-season that will be good for mostly city driving, our winters are pretty crazy here in Calgary, lots of on and off snow, freezing and melting, and chinooks which dry the streets up completely for weeks at a time sometimes. We don't get enough snow (in my opinion) to warrant snow tires in the winter, which is why I am looking into A/Ts. I do like the stock tires, but I was hoping to get something maybe a little beefier, I love the look of a thicker tread but at the same time functionality is important as well so that's why I'm sorta stuck. I don't do a lot of off-roading, more highway and inner-city driving than anything but I wouldn't mind having the ability to at least go trail-riding as there are a few places we camp that allow for that sort of thing. I'm looking in the price range of Toyos, possibly Michelins, but if I find BF Goodrich tires I like, I have nothing against those. I put Toyo Proxes 4 on my car when I had it and loved them - they looked awesome and worked really well on the crappy road conditions. Obviously I can't put those on my Fronti so I need some help. I would love to see a picture as well if you have a certain tire on your truck that you think might suit my needs!!

Thanks in advance!

Jehn

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I have Firestone Destination A/Ts and so far love them with less than 4,000 miles on them.
I also up-sized to 265/75-16 (SEs stock came with 265/70-16).
Also going to 75s (which is what comes on the Nismo models from the factory) corrected my speedometer according to my GPS.

Here's what they look like:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also up-sized to 265/75-16 (SEs stock came with 265/70-16).
Also going to 75s (which is what comes on the Nismo models from the factory) corrected my speedometer according to my GPS.
Thats interesting. I'm going with that same size tire as soon as my damn stockers wear out. I noticed my speedo is slow right now, signs tell me I'm going like 40 and needle is at 43ish. I wonder if that will make it more accurate.

Jehn, I'm looking at a 265-75-16 Revo II by Bridgestone. Check them out, they have great wear, an all terrain tire, and highly rated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
From another Calgarian, I got some Nokian Vatiivas A/T's last November which I love. My gf's parents own a Kal-Tire, and they're what her dad recommended for an all season (he also didn't think winters were worth it with 4x4). I haven't had any issues sliding or getting stuck since I got them, and I was even out the weekend after/during the big snow storm back in November and had no issues at all. They're a world of difference between General Grabbers that were on the truck when I got it. I think Kal-Tire is the only place that carries the Nokians in Canada though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S on...awesome tire. A bit pricy but you get what you pay for in life. I always go with Michelin.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've always had problems with Firestone tires. Having said that when the Firestone tread separation recall happened, in the late 90's I think, ford replaced my tires with Michelins and I was so impressed that I've bought them exclusively since.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I've been running toyo open country ats for almost 8000 now. I love them. I really liked the goodyears I had, but they started shaking badly and couldn't be balanced. Ill stick with these for as long as toyo makes them

·
Registered
20 Posts
If your not looking to spend alot of money and would like a fairly decent AT tire the Geolanders ATS from Yokohoma are great in the snow and on the highway. I got a set from Discount tire for 500.00 dollars shipped to my door in Colorado.

I've got about 3000 miles on them and they are fairly aggressive for an AT, quiet, and when we get snow at times I drive around with the truck out of four wheel drive if I'm only going a short distance. They really seem to hold the road in the snow as I've had very little slidding. I have seen quite a bit of snow this year our local ski mountain is pushing nearly 400 inches for the season. I can't really speak for wear yet and haven't had them offroad, but so far I'm happy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Todd, those tires look hot, I love the Frontier in red... Looks so good in contrast to shiny black tires!!

So, dumb question, but what kinds of changes can you make to tires in regards to size without changing up rims? How big can you go without seriously affecting the way the truck drives? Is there a purpose to buying bigger tires aside from the fact that they look cool? My apologies for my ignorance, I am not one of those girls who really knows a whole lot about these kinds of things...

:airhead:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Bigger tires look awesome and give you a little more ground clearance (if they're taller). My vote goes to BFG AT's also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so I've been poking around on some manufacturer websites for the tires you've all suggested and so far my top 3 are the Toyo Open Country ATs, Bridgestone Dueler AT 695, and the Firestone Destination ATs. They are all fairly rugged looking but from the descriptions they seem relatively fit for my needs. I like the 'off-shoulder' treads, I think they look really good and they will be useful in the chinook slush throughout the winter and in the spring.

I am considering going a bit bigger... I'll cross that bridge when I get there. For now, I'm wondering about towing capabilities with these tires... Good? Bad? We have a '07 JayFeather 21EXP, for the most part my hubby tows it with his truck but he works a lot during the summer and if I want to go out on my own I still want to be safe. I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference but I do recall hearing something about tow ratings for tires... ??

How about gas mileage? Does a more aggressive tread make for worse gas mileage? I know they tend to be a bit louder but the three tires I have selected claim to be fairly quiet... Thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Thanks for the compliment.

I will refer you to the experts at Tirerack for an explanation of tires sizes and what they mean: Tire Tech Information - Calculating Tire Dimensions

Probably one of the more important things to take from alternate tire sizing is if you increase/decrease the overall diameter of the rubber (not the rim) you will change the OEM characteristics of the vehicle, ie gas mileage, available power, ride quality, handling etc..

Some people go to bigger (taller) tires for more ground clearance for off-roading.
Other people go to a larger sized rim with the same outside diameter tire to reduce sidewall height therefore increasing their on-road performance (handling).

It's all in what you want.

Me, I stayed with the stock diameter rim (16") and went one size up on the sidewall from 70 to 75.
This gives me slightly softer (more sidewall flex) on road abilities and slightly better off-road abilities.
Mainly I wanted my speedometer to read properly and to fill out the wheel wells like there's actually a nice chunk of rubber in there.

From what I've seen nothing much bigger that the 265/75-16s would fit in the wheel wells without some kind of trimming or lift.
They look pretty darn snug in there to me lock to lock on the wheels vs. the fender well plastics.
Mt truck sits approx. 1/2" taller now and overall has 1" more rubber diameter-wise to fill out the wheel well.
These AT tires upsized look so much better on the truck than the factory "all season" Long Trail POS that came factory, trust me.

PS: You go girl with that 6 speed manual, I love mine!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gah, I just had a peek at my old pics that were posted when I first got my Frontier and those stock BFGs look pretty hot... I am soooo indecisive!!

Todd, I really like the look of your tires, the size looks good and I see what you mean about it looking like there's a good chunk of rubber in there. They look like a good fit.

I'm gonna go poke around the tire site you posted and see what I find there... I will have to check out pricing and see what is available around here before I make any decisions but in the meantime any advice or suggestions are hugely appreciated!! This place is a great resource! ...Unfortunately, the majority of the posts are practically in another language as far as I'm concerned... but it's still interesting to read and see what other have done with their trucks! Who knew one truck could have so many different looks!!?

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Another shot to keep your brain working overtime :)

It hasn't been nice weather here yet long enough for me to detail the truck.
But once it gets nice I'll have some good shots up on CF here of the truck with the new rims and tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm... Is that tire site exclusively American? Is there a Canadian counterpart?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Goodyear DuraTracs

Just got a set of DuraTracs put on my truck yesterday. Good timing as it snowed here this morning. So far, I love 'em Very quiet over bumps and pavement imperfections, very smooth riding (even though I got the E rated ones), and quiet! They definitely have a little bit of "rrrrrr" kind of sound at higher speeds that I can hear sometimes and on some kinds of pavement, but I don't think it's any louder than the usual white-noise "waaaahhhh" kind of sound from typical road tires, just a different sound. Steering feels better too. And they look MEGA-BADASS! I'll try to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Another shot to keep your brain working overtime :)

It hasn't been nice weather here yet long enough for me to detail the truck.
But once it gets nice I'll have some good shots up on CF here of the truck with the new rims and tires.
:2cool:

Whoo, that is a good lookin' truck! How do you get it to shine like that?? Geez, now you're making me wish I'd opted for red!

Some chrome door handles would be a nice addition... :D

I'll keep an eye out for new pics... And what's this about not being able to detail? Looks pretty clean to me... you should see mine... yeesh!!

...and please do post pics, eecher! I'd love to see them!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts