Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got 27k on my stock BFG long trail t/a's.

So I looked into the BFG all terrain t/a ko's to do a weight comparison for performance / mileage reasons. I thought about stepping up to a 285-75/16.

The stock BFG long trail T/A
size 265-70/16 weighs 36 lbs.

The BFG all terrain T/a's of the same size as the stock tires,
size 265-70/16's weighs 48 lbs.

The BFG All Terrain T/A in 285-75/16's weighs in at 52 lbs.

Since most of my driving is on the highway, I probably don't need a heavier duty tire, which the AT T/A is. And better mileage is important.

Also with the 6 cyl the extra weight will affect the power. I've read that some people end up changing gearing after going with the bigger and heavier tires. They do look better, but it looks like a big trade off.

I have run through several sets of the BFG at t/a tires on a previous v8 4x4, and they work great. But I didn't get good mileage. And it probably wouldn't have improved much with hwy tires on that vehicle either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heavier tires decrease MPG and ride quality as well as put more stress on suspension components. Everything is a trade off. Unless you were unhappy with your stock tires....maybe you don't change size or brand. Comparison shop.

If you are dead set on larger heavier tires consider lighter wheels to offset the increase. Although, most aluminum wheels are similiar in weight.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I took weight into consideration when I got new tires and I was surprised on how much some AT tires are compared to each other, just as you have found. It's a good idea to check the specs on all of your choices if MPG is a concern.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you offroad? If you don't maybe a highway tire would be an option?
Right now, I only offroad occasionally. I will do more once I upgrade my suspension though.
I don't have any complaints with the stock tires. But I think the truck would look odd with a 3" lift and stock tires.

most aluminum wheels are similiar in weight.
I will stick with factory style aluminum wheels.

I am not dead set on bigger heavier tires, unless I start wheelin.

How do people seem to like the stock BFG long trail T/A's?

Thought I'd throw those tire weight's out there for anyone who might be intrested, or didn't already know.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
supposedly the best MPG tire for trucks is the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684II, This is why Chevy went to it, and improved MPG on their trucks and suv's
Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Right now, I only offroad occasionally. I will do more once I upgrade my suspension though.
I don't have any complaints with the stock tires. But I think the truck would look odd with a 3" lift and stock tires.
I had stock sized tires when I got my lift and it didn't look bad and when I did go to the 285's it actually fixed the inaccuracy of my speedometer as it was off from factory.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Only concern I had before doin' my 18s w/10ply. tires (51lbs.) was a change in my braking performance with the added rolling mass.. It didn't.
I didn't put the 32" Nismo/Goodyear combo on a scale but they're alot heavier than stock.

add/edit: My milage is the same @ around 16mpg. but the speedo is off by +1%; decrease in rolling resistance is notable too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
good info, makes me wonder which 285 tire i'll go with when i come back from my next deployment

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had stock sized tires when I got my lift and it didn't look bad and when I did go to the 285's it actually fixed the inaccuracy of my speedometer as it was off from factory.

I am thinking I might stay with the stock size and type of tire for now.

And then after I install the lift and see how it looks and does offroad then decide which tire I want. And if I need heavier duty tires.

Also, maybe there is a different brand of tire that would be better for offroad than the stock BFG long trail t/a.
But still be lighter and better on the highway than the BFG All terrain T/a.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Also, maybe there is a different brand of tire that would be better for offroad than the stock BFG long trail t/a.
But still be lighter and better on the highway than the BFG All terrain T/a.
Not a different brand, but the BFG Rugged Trail that comes on the Nismo's stock is right in between the Long Trail's and the AT's:noworries:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a different brand, but the BFG Rugged Trail that comes on the Nismo's stock is right in between the Long Trail's and the AT's:noworries:

Aren't the the BFG Rugged Trail tires the ones that alot of the NISMO owners dislike?

I haven't heard alot either way about the BFG long trail tires though.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Aren't the the BFG Rugged Trail tires the ones that alot of the NISMO owners dislike?...
^yup. gotta set with 12k... lookin' great in storage. :laugh:
I've heard good things about the 16" Bridgestone Revos tho'.

add/edit: nevermind the Revos are fookin' 54lbs!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am kinda on the same boat. I will probably do the new Duratracs but not sure on size. 285 will kill my performance and mpg and $$$$$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts