Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know this subject has been discussed quite a bit. I just spent so much time reading past threads with "pressure" in the title that the word pressure itself is starting to look weird to me...

In any event, the question I'm wondering I was unable to find an answer for, especially as it pertains to 1st gen trucks; my 2000 recommends 26 psi front and rear?!? I've never gone below 32 in any passenger vehicle ive had. (Stock 265 70r15s) 2nd gens apparantly recommend a more normal number, 35 I think it was..

What pressure do you all run?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
my 02 desert runner says 30 psi for the 255/65/16 i run 37-40 psi. my old tires where fine at 40 psi but my general grabber uhp don't like more then 37 psi.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up. I have a 2000 4x4 as well, same 265/70/R15s, and my tires were inflated from 32-36 PSI all around. I was leery as well when I saw the door panel said 26 PSI. I've dropped the pressure to 26 and ran it through several tanks and have noticed no ill effects--I've averaged 20-22 MPG in mixed driving over the last few tanks since changing the pressure and cornering hasn't felt different.

Still though, it seems like a really low number.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
look on the tire and find the max psi rating. inflate it to the max psi, then deflate the tires untill the side lugs are sitting flat on the ground. take the pressure again and that is what you should stay around all the time.

recheck the pressure after you get your tires rotated as well, as the tires up front are going to require a higher pressure to be correctly inflated because of the weight difference.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
different tires hold different pressures differently guys. he is going to have to find the correct pressure for his truck himself using the method i described above.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, Beef. I've wondered myself how a person was supposed to identify an optimal tire pressure for street use with a non-OEM tire size.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
look on the tire and find the max psi rating. inflate it to the max psi, then deflate the tires untill the side lugs are sitting flat on the ground. take the pressure again and that is what you should stay around all the time.

recheck the pressure after you get your tires rotated as well, as the tires up front are going to require a higher pressure to be correctly inflated because of the weight difference.
Yeah, this is a good one, roastbeef. I'm gonna try it out and see what I end up with. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies so far!

..then deflate the tires untill the side lugs are sitting flat on the ground...
Forgive my retardedness, but I dont know what you mean when you say "side lugs"..? (Im picturing the tire flat, with the bottom lug nut on the ground..)

·
Registered
578 Posts
he means the tread on the side if you over inflate the tire naturally the treads on the edges of the tire wont touch the ground

and 26 seems freakishly low to me too i have a 2000 that originally had 22-65-16 i ran 35 psi in those i went with a 245-75-16 and now i run 40psi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts