Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I hate this thing!! :evil: They should never put this on a vehicle that is made for off road. Anyway, it has been very cold here in Colorado, sub zero temps. My tire pressure sensor has gone on and stayed on for a couple days now. I checked the tires in the morning before work and the tires are at 30-31 p.s.i. The manual says this sensor is supposed to go off at 28 psi. Any suggestions??

I'm taking it to the dealer for its first oil change on Saturday(12-10-05). I will ask them about it but I was just wondering if anyone else hates this thing like I do or has had this problem??

· Registered
8,447 Posts
StormNISMO said:
Let me start off by saying I hate this thing!! :evil: They should never put this on a vehicle that is made for off road. Anyway, it has been very cold here in Colorado, sub zero temps. My tire pressure sensor has gone on and stayed on for a couple days now. I checked the tires in the morning before work and the tires are at 30-31 p.s.i. The manual says this sensor is supposed to go off at 28 psi. Any suggestions??

I'm taking it to the dealer for its first oil change on Saturday(12-10-05). I will ask them about it but I was just wondering if anyone else hates this thing like I do or has had this problem??
Haven't had the problem yet! Keep us posted on what your dealer says about it!

· Registered
2,540 Posts
StormNISMO,

Are you taking your tire pressure in the weather or in a heated garage? The tire pressure drops with the temperature and this can trigger the alarm.

We are in the single digits right now so I have boosted my tire pressure to 37 psi to
help compensate for this. I keep my truck in a heated garage and that is where I do
the tire pressure checks.

On one of the other forums this has ben a much discussed problem. Several of us
have gone to the 37 psi setting to help out.

You are keeping your tires several psi lower than the 35 psi that the factory recom-
mends. This gives you a lot less tolerance for the temperature drop you may encounter this winter.

OkieScot

· MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was taking the reading in my driveway outside after it has been in the cold all night. Setting the pressure at 37 psi seems like a pretty good solve to the problem for the winter anyway. But my problem is that the readings are still over what the owners manual states that the light will come on at. Another thing is that it is much warmer today and the light persists. I'm just wondering if the switching mechanism for this has broke in the cold?

Also, as SD_Frontier has pointed out many of us plan on going offroading and will need to air down so this leads to another question: Is there a way to adjust the setting or turn this off?

· Registered
92 Posts
Has it warmed up enough to raise the pressure back into an acceptable range?

My light came on a couple of weeks ago on one of the first really cold mornings that we had. It warmed up during the day a little but the light still didn't go off. I already had the truck going to the dealer for an oil change the next day so I figured I'd let them sort it out. They readjusted the tire pressure and told me it was good to go. When I got in the truck to leave the light was still on. However, after driving about a half mile down the road the light went out and It hasn't come on again.

As far as airing down, it should just be a minor nuisance. You let air out, the high pitched noise sounds and the light go. When you're done, you air back up and the light goes out. I think it'll just have to be something we live with.

· Registered
2,324 Posts
Stormrider said:
As far as airing down, it should just be a minor nuisance. You let air out, the high pitched noise sounds and the light go. When you're done, you air back up and the light goes out. I think it'll just have to be something we live with.
we talked about this on another forum. one person was under the impression that if there is a dramatic drop in pressure (ie a flat or air down to say 12 psi :twisted: ) that a hard code would then be present and only resetable by the dealer. i hope this is not that case and the sensor should be able to pick it up when i put the air back in.

· Registered
92 Posts
SD_Frontier said:
one person was under the impression that if there is a dramatic drop in pressure (ie a flat or air down to say 12 psi :twisted: ) that a hard code would then be present and only resetable by the dealer. i hope this is not that case and the sensor should be able to pick it up when i put the air back in.
So who wants to be the guines pig?

I doubt that this is the case. If that is true then that would mean every flat tire would require a trip to the dealer.

To anyone who has gotten a true flat (i.e. not a low tire) and gotten the sensor fault alarm - when the tire was fixed, and the original rim reinstalled, did the fault clear as it should?

· Registered
129 Posts
Stormrider said:
SD_Frontier said:
one person was under the impression that if there is a dramatic drop in pressure (ie a flat or air down to say 12 psi :twisted: ) that a hard code would then be present and only resetable by the dealer. i hope this is not that case and the sensor should be able to pick it up when i put the air back in.
So who wants to be the guines pig?

I doubt that this is the case. If that is true then that would mean every flat tire would require a trip to the dealer.

To anyone who has gotten a true flat (i.e. not a low tire) and gotten the sensor fault alarm - when the tire was fixed, and the original rim reinstalled, did the fault clear as it should?
So far I've experienced two flat tires (lots of mesquite thorns on my ranch). In both instances the alarm went off (I HATE that sound) and the warning light came on. I had the flat tire repaired, aired back up to 37 psi, and the warning light disappeared after the truck was driven a half-mile or so.

· Registered
214 Posts
JayP said:
I've had this happen on a really cold morning but the thing that i hated the most was the alarm going off w/ a loud BEEEEEEP. :D
Me too. 8O

· MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the dealership this morning to get the oil changed. They said the sensor is more touchy in high altitude since the monitors are calibrated at sea level so they suggested the tire be set at 38psi much like OkieScott had said!!

· Registered
26 Posts
OK. Ive just had my first experiance with the dreaded air pressure sensor. It's been very cold up here in Connecticut and so as the owners manual states, you should check your air pressure.

So, I was driving to work yesterday and the alarm went off. I stopped and checked the tires and they looked fine. I went to work . On the way home I stopped at an Autozone and invested $10 for a nice digital pressure gage. Went to the local gas station and checked all the tires. The owners manual states that the pressure should be 35# in all 4 tires. Mine were 33 in 2 and 32.5 in two. I filled them back up to 35 all around. As soon as I left the gas station the light reset dispelling the rumor that this needs to be done at the dealership. It seems that once you bring the tires back up to where they should be all you have to do is drive over twenty MPH and the light resets. This is mentioned in the owners manual as well.

I hope this helps.

Happy Holidays to all :lol:

· Registered
11 Posts
I'll go you one better. My truck usually sits in the garage at night. But about 2 weeks ago, I was at work until just after midnight. The temp was -4 F (and we are 6000' here). When I left work and started my truck, The low tire, ABS and Slip indicators all were on. I could not get them to reset, even by turning the truck off and back on. It was also snowing and blowing and we had some good drifts. When I tried 4WD it would not engage at all (even after backing/going forward, and driving miles down the road. Either the Slip of ABS indication was preventing the truck from going into 4WD. The next morning after sitting in my garage, the lights were still on. But when I pulled out and started going, they went off after a short distance. 4WD then worked. Took the truck to work again that night and got off after midnight again. Temp was -14F. Exact same symptoms! And exactly the same thing happened the next morning. Truck went to Nissan, and they found nothing wrong, not even a set code. It has not been that cold again, so have been unable to check furthar. This is unacceptable to me however, because we routinely go to our cabin in the mountains which is very remote and requires 4WD to get in/out, as it isn't plowed. It is often very cold up there. If this happened there, we would not be able to get out at all. If this problem occurs again, Nissan WILL keep my truck untill they find what is wrong (or replace the truck). :evil:

· Registered
14 Posts
I can top that, yesterday high of 59 sunny all day long with an overnight low of 35. (buuurrr!) I love the living where there are only three seasons. Seasons Greetings from Augusta, Ga.

I hate the beep too....Four nails in one tire...I don't care what the weather is....pluging four holes in one tire on a dirt road SUCKS! :evil:

· Registered
10 Posts
CUL8R said:
I'll go you one better. My truck usually sits in the garage at night. But about 2 weeks ago, I was at work until just after midnight. The temp was -4 F (and we are 6000' here). When I left work and started my truck, The low tire, ABS and Slip indicators all were on. I could not get them to reset, even by turning the truck off and back on. It was also snowing and blowing and we had some good drifts. When I tried 4WD it would not engage at all (even after backing/going forward, and driving miles down the road. Either the Slip of ABS indication was preventing the truck from going into 4WD. The next morning after sitting in my garage, the lights were still on. But when I pulled out and started going, they went off after a short distance. 4WD then worked. Took the truck to work again that night and got off after midnight again. Temp was -14F. Exact same symptoms! And exactly the same thing happened the next morning. Truck went to Nissan, and they found nothing wrong, not even a set code. It has not been that cold again, so have been unable to check furthar. This is unacceptable to me however, because we routinely go to our cabin in the mountains which is very remote and requires 4WD to get in/out, as it isn't plowed. It is often very cold up there. If this happened there, we would not be able to get out at all. If this problem occurs again, Nissan WILL keep my truck untill they find what is wrong (or replace the truck). :evil:
What finally happen at the dealer in regards to you problem above?
Did they fix it?
Have you heard of anyone else having this problem?
I'm in Miami, but I'll really hate to be thousands of miles from home in subzero cold to find out that this is a factory problem in all the frontiers.

· Registered
1 Posts
tire pressure system

I have had this same problem in Canada . At -25c I was putting air in every week. I took the truck back to the dealer and they said there is a problem with the grommet on the valve stems. All were replaced and it has been 3 weeks and so good so far.

· Registered
166 Posts
Wierd this happened to me yesterday. I live in Alaska and currently the temp is -30...yea I said negative 30. It's actaully been a warm winter. Last year we were seeing -40 to
-50 temp range. Anyway I just pumped her up to 37 psi and the light went off.

John
-2005 Frontier SE

· Registered
14 Posts
WOW -50 degrees, I have to experience that once in my life. So does the Fronty hold up that well on ice as well as snow, because down here if we get any type of frozen moisture it will be ice. I 'm 27 years old and I have never seen snow, it's kinda sad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.