Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have been looking at tires forever now and wanted to get some opinions from other Frontier owners. I am looking at going with an AT tire but nothing overly aggressive. I have narrowed my choices down to Toyo Open Country AT, Yokohama Geolander ATS, and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Maybe Pro Comp All Terrain but I don't think I want to go that route. I really like the BFG AT but they are a lot heavier than any of the others.

Wanted some thoughts from people that might have used the tires and yes I have been to Tire Rack more times than I care to admit. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
not considering Dueler Revo's?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not considering Dueler Revo's?
Actually my first choice but since they are no where to be found (locally), need to go with something else. I have 37K on the Long Trails and they are about done.

I can get the Toyos and Yokos for $600 out the door although the tire place did not recommend the Yokos.

Silent Armors are running about $825 OTD.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
ever looked into Mickey Thompson baja ATZ w/side bitters. i have alot of friends running those and they do very well for them and with much abuse and burn outs my best friends first set last him 43k miles. just throwing another option

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
every tire is better then the crap they put on these trucks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
265/75R16 WARDEN A/T (E) thats the bfg AT tread pattern exactly. i wonder how good these retreads really are. i'm sure the compound itself doesn't wear any faster than normal tires but how long is it before the tread wants to come back off.... for that cheep of price per tire i may have to try those out this summer

·
Registered
390 Posts
In the same boat as you. I've managed 49K out of the stock Grabber AW's. I've been considering a switch to AT tires too and the Geolander ATS, Grabber AT2, and Destination AT are the ones I've narrowed it down to.

I can get all for under $150 installed each. Tire rack seems to love the AT2's but there are a couple fo comments about fuel milage that concern me. Aside from that they have fantastic ratings at all traction levels. The Revo's would be nice but they are hella expensive.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
every tire is better then the crap they put on these trucks
That is probably true but I have yet to have any issues out of my Long Trails. I got pretty good wear for lack of rotating.

That is a big no to retreads. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm a big fan of BFG AT's, good for 50k-60k, great road manners and any mild off roading and beach trips.
Pop has Firestone Destinations and they get a totally thumbs up rating too(and less expensive).

My buddy and my brother inlaw both went with Procomp AT's, because they are cheaper than BFG AT's, and both sets are wearing poorly and one set is so badly worn (front) that they sound like a mud terrain. I'd stay away from them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a big fan of BFG AT's, good for 50k-60k, great road manners and any mild off roading and beach trips.
Pop has Firestone Destinations and they get a totally thumbs up rating too(and less expensive).

My buddy and my brother inlaw both went with Procomp AT's, because they are cheaper than BFG AT's, and both sets are wearing poorly and one set is so badly worn (front) that they sound like a mud terrain. I'd stay away from them.
Thanks. I will definitely steer away from the Pro Comps.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was for a long time but i know a lot of guys running them with 0 issues, bunch of jeep and dodge guys.
this is my DD and have taken it out of town on eight hour trips. Hate to have a failure while traveling especially when cost is not an issue. I never cut corners when it comes to my vehicles. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I was for a long time but i know a lot of guys running them with 0 issues, bunch of jeep and dodge guys.
Drew, I don't know if I could put them on a daily driver, but I do agree with you, technology in all areas is improving in leaps and bounds. The new adhesives and bonding agents can do amazing things.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had 285/70/17 BF Goodrich AT on my Titan. I put them on at 2k miles. I traded the Titan in with 78k miles. I would say there was still a good 5k miles left on them. Best tire I ever put on a truck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had 285/70/17 BF Goodrich AT on my Titan. I put them on at 2k miles. I traded the Titan in with 78k miles. I would say there was still a good 5k miles left on them. Best tire I ever put on a truck.
My concern about the BFGs is the weight of the tire. They are 12 pounds heavier than stock per tire. To me that is alot of extra weight for a stock Frontier.

·
Registered
321 Posts
BFG A/Ts are the most over-rated and over-priced tire in history. They have an extremely dated tread design and survive merely on brand recognition.

And their wet traction leaves a LOT to be desired. I've never been more underwhelmed with a tire. Both my Destination A/Ts and my Revos are/were vastly superior tires.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts