Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a stupid question... anyway :) ...
Has anyone ever bought tires, used them for a couple thousand miles and been able to do some kind of exchange-like upgrade? I have good michelin street tires, but they are driving me crazy when not in street use :)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have not heard of any shops advertising this but you may be able to talk to some shops in your area to see if they will work with you.

If anything you could always have them removed and sell them on CL or Ebay or etc...

I know people are always looking for used tires. Heck, my current set are used and my next may be too, lol.

You may get lucky and the guy working at the shop may need tires for his own vehicle and will buy them from you if you buy a set from his store. I have seen that happen a few times. Heck, used car salesmen do this. If you bring in a car with great tires and they fit the salesmens car, he may swap them since new or slightly used tires won't mean crap during the sale.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Where did you buy your tires? Doesn't Les Schwab or one of those big chains exchange tires? Can't remember if it was on this site or another, but somebody upgraded and had to pay the difference.

If all else fails, best bet is craigslist or something local.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always trade out oem tires for what I want when I buy a new vehicle. That is one of the first things I do. Usually before they turn over a hundred miles. I learned a long time ago that it takes several months to wear out a set of tires that you don't like. It usually costs up to $100 a tire to trade. On my new Frontier, I was able to trade the BFG tires that came on it for Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos for $50 a tire. In the scheme of things, even $400 is worth it to me to get the tires that I want on a brand new vehicle.

That being said, I think that most independent tire stores will work with you. Just do not expect them to trade you for a song. I would expect to pay 50-60% of the cost for new tires with the trades.

One other thing, some manufacturers have a 30 day no questions asked return policy if you are not happy with the tires you purchased. I am pretty sure that Bridgestone does.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
When I bought my Titan xe in 2005, I drove off the lot to the closest Discount Tire. The stock tires were 245/??/17s. looked tiny. I had them replaced with 285/75/17s (33s). Discount bought my stock tires for about $250. No hassle for me to sell them and it was a nice discount to a change I was going to do anyway.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
alot of shops do buy your old ones, but half the time its next to nothing. well depending on what tire and how good of shape.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, I got caught up in a BBQ today and forgot to call and see if they would. Now I see where the hunny do list was invented :) I have no idea what was going through my mind when I got them, I spend 90% of my time in the mountains when im not doing the everyday bump and grind and I walk away with street tires on my rig :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts