Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lifting my truck I bought a set of 285 70 17 BFG All Terrains for it. I loved the look but it became obvious that the tires were too big and heavy for for the 4 banger to handle. My buddy bought a new Hemi Dodge and after a few beers one night we decided to switch tires and he threw me some cash. I currently have the OE tires from his truck on mine and driveability is excellent. Problem is I want the traction and look of the BFG's again. This time I will go a little more conservative on size hoping not to overpower the truck.

My question is does anyone have LT265 70 17 BFG All Terrain TA KO's on their 05 and up 4 banger with no performance mods? What are the pros and cons of this tire on the 4 cylinder Frontier? I'm trying to find out if I will have the same issues with the 265's that I had with the 285's. Main problem was the truck would run out of steam on long hills at highway speed. The new set will be an inch smaller and 13 lbs lighter per tire and I hope that will be enough to avoid that problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
look into the bridgestone revo ATs, not as heavy little nicer street tread pattern but amazing offroad, street and in snow/rain.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You'ld be better off with LT265/65 R17E they are a little over 30" and should be fine on that little 4 banger OR ring & pinion time.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
he has 4:10s cant really go lower than that right now

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Irongrave about the Bridgestone Revo A/Ts. My brother has them on his truck and they are awesome. Great on highway, low road noise, and perfect off-road. Not too heavy either.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'ld be better off with LT265/65 R17E they are a little over 30" and should be fine on that little 4 banger OR ring & pinion time.
I considered that but the E rated 65's are much heavier than the C rated 70's. I would be all over those if I could get them in C range though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
look into the bridgestone revo ATs, not as heavy little nicer street tread pattern but amazing offroad, street and in snow/rain.
Best tires I've ever had, and I've ran a lot of different tires over the years.

My current Destination A/Ts are pretty good for the money though...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
he has 4:10s cant really go lower than that right now
That's true. I would have kept the 285's if I could have regeared. One thing if forgot to mention is the BFG's are winter tire rated and I want to use them year round. I will take a look at the Revos though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't take the winter rating too seriously. There are some great tires, like the revos, that aren't winter rated only because they were never tested. I've ran both and I found the Revos to do just as good in the snow (better in icy conditions), but a much better all around tire. They clean out a lot better in the mud as well.

I don't have any experience with the new revo2s. They don't look as aggressive to me, so I'm not sure how they'll do off the pavement...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also need to make this decision. I really want 285/70/17 tires on my LE wheels but i am afraid of losing too much power. Im an auto so this thing is just adequate now. Can anyone compare the nitto terra grapplers, the revos, or the ta kos for me as far as weight and streetablity?

Maybe a poll on which one I should choose?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most manufacturers have spec charts on their websites giving weight and other info by size. I can tell you now that the BFG is the heaviest in this size because it is only available in D range LT. I would buy the BFG in a P rating if they made that. I think I'm gonna get LT265 70 17 AT's in C range because they are 32 inches tall and not very heavy compared to D and E range tires.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have Terra Grapplers in 295/70-17 LT and they are heavy and the truck knows it on the highway and at the pump, should have just gone with the non LT but screwed the pooch there. They ride smooth and quiet and a little stiffer than I would like but I am looking to change them out for some P's and have been looking at pricing, so I am in the same boat

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have 265/75R16 AT revos. best tires i have ever owned. btw bimmernut318 were you up in orlando/oviedo/winter springs area like a month ago? i swore i saw your truck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have Terra Grapplers in 295/70-17 LT and they are heavy and the truck knows it on the highway and at the pump, should have just gone with the non LT but screwed the pooch there. They ride smooth and quiet and a little stiffer than I would like but I am looking to change them out for some P's and have been looking at pricing, so I am in the same boat

Sounds like u are having the same issues I had. There are aggressive P rated all terrain tires out there that would solve our problem. I just WANT BFG's for looks and winter traction.

·
Registered
140 Posts
what do you guys think about the firestone destination at in 275/70/17. i feel like ill regret not getting a big enough tire after spending all the money on them. But i do not want to go too big and make this truck even slower then it is. The destination at looks like it would be good for the street yet look aggressive. Does anyone know the load range of that tire?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what do you guys think about the firestone destination at in 275/70/17. i feel like ill regret not getting a big enough tire after spending all the money on them. But i do not want to go too big and make this truck even slower then it is. The destination at looks like it would be good for the street yet look aggressive. Does anyone know the load range of that tire?

Load range C and 47 lbs each. Same specs as 265 70 17 BFG AT's which is what I will be getting shortly. I hear what you're saying though. It's hard to find that perfect balance between performance and size..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts