Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the measurement from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender on a stock 2015 Pro 4X. I just replaced my old Nisstec lift with a new Alcan leaf and Radflo Coilover and need an OEM reference for adjusting the coilover and to determine how far off the Alcan leaf is. The old rig was a Nisstec MK84 extended travel with a 1" block in the front and a 2" Nisstec add a leaf and 1" block in the back. I just had a custom 3" Alcan leaf put in the back and a Radflo 2.5" coilover for 2.5" of lift installed in the front. I think the Alcan only provided 1.5 inches of lift. Truck was riding 1" high in the front when I got it home. I went to the local dealership and measured a 2017 Pro 4X. Measurements were 5.25" in the front and 6" in the rear. I adjusted my Radflo to provide 7.75" lift in the front. Rear is sitting at 7.5" with the new leaf pack. A good reference will allow me to determine what to do with the Alcan and where to adjust the Radflo too. Also, if Alcan does not want to replace the leaf pack with a new one that provides proper lift, what is my best option. Block, add a leaf or shackle? I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 2 inch blocks on the rear of mine. Alot of people say don't mix add a leafs with blocks and shackles n such but I've never heard anybody with issues. Although I have heard add a leafs was suppose to help load capacity. Then again idk what you do with your truck. But blocks I recommend. Had mine on for prolly 5-10k? No issues so far

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I need to know the measurement from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender on a stock 2015 Pro 4X. I just replaced my old Nisstec lift with a new Alcan leaf and Radflo Coilover and need an OEM reference for adjusting the coilover and to determine how far off the Alcan leaf is. The old rig was a Nisstec MK84 extended travel with a 1" block in the front and a 2" Nisstec add a leaf and 1" block in the back. I just had a custom 3" Alcan leaf put in the back and a Radflo 2.5" coilover for 2.5" of lift installed in the front. I think the Alcan only provided 1.5 inches of lift. Truck was riding 1" high in the front when I got it home. I went to the local dealership and measured a 2017 Pro 4X. Measurements were 5.25" in the front and 6" in the rear. I adjusted my Radflo to provide 7.75" lift in the front. Rear is sitting at 7.5" with the new leaf pack. A good reference will allow me to determine what to do with the Alcan and where to adjust the Radflo too. Also, if Alcan does not want to replace the leaf pack with a new one that provides proper lift, what is my best option. Block, add a leaf or shackle? I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Nomad's build thread has ALOT of measurements for suspension. But for quick ref, stock Hub to fender (more accurate than tire) is 20 front 21.25 rear. Also found in FSM Quick Ref Guide book @ 35.15 F & 36.10 R Ground-Fender

Using blocks will result in axle wrap. this will wear out the springs MUCH faster. Unless you are planning on replacing the entire pack relatively soon or are lifting for looks, don't.

As for how much you willl get out of an AAL (or even a full pack) there's a bunch of variables. But it sounds like the Alcan pack is light on the springrate. Hopefully they'll make it right. FWIW I put in a OME LD pack and got a little over 2" after it had time to settle. Their literature says it's +400lbs cargo capacity(IIRC) and ride quality is pretty good. If your truck is stock-ish weight you should have 2-3 " in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I have NEVER heard of people having axle wrap on our trucks with a block. I don't think we have enough torque to do that even on a v8 swap

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Then you haven't looked very hard. There are videos on YT, I have seen it on mine before I installed my OME pack. The V6 has plenty TQ. Maybe not enough to pull down a house, but we still have TQ. Compound it with a re-gear and you'll see/hear it hop.

Stock pack is nearly flat. a flat spring will always wrap unless you have the power of a 60's era VW or a Yugo.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Working with Alcan

Talked to Bill at Alcan yesterday and sent him pictures. No plan of attack yet. Leaf pack is eight leafs high and almost flat when installed. I think the thickness is what gave me the 1.5" of lift. Alcan said they increased the stock spring arc by 3" or degrees, not sure what that means but think that's where the 3" of lift should have come from. Just in case I don't get a new leaf pack I'd like to look at options. On the topic of blocks, add a leaf and shackles, do all of the cons people mention apply to aftermarket leafs? The new leaf has to be stronger than stock so I was thinking adding a PRG shackle set at 1.5" would give me the lift I want without many side effects. Still best option is new leaf pack if they can get the lift right. Thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ok, I can give you some numbers if that might help. On a stock frontier 4x4 crew cab (not pro4x) your front is about 34.5" from ground to middle of fender flare. Your rear is about 35.5". On a stock frontier with 32" tires (the only height difference between pro4x and other models) the front and rear is 0.5" higher. My frontier 4x4 cfrew cab with 32" tires without any lift measured 35" up front and 36" in the back, ground to fender. With OME front medium duty coils I got another inch up front (supposed to be 1.5"), and with deaver 2 leaf add a leaf pack in the rear I settled to about 1.5" of extra lift in rear (supposed to be 2"). So now my truck is 36" up front and 37.5" in the rear.

Point being, A; it seems manufacturers promise optimal lift but that may not really happen, and B; you have changed your truck a bunch, maybe what your thinking isn't a 3" lift is because you aren't basing your numbers on what a stock height frontier is? Hope you get it figured out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts