Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, that was a pain. I'd start with this thread on another site: Finding! and changing the PCV Valve on a 98 Frontier...

From that thread, I echo the recommendation to remove the wheel (front passenger) and get the rubber mud flap out of the way (unless already missing). Mine was loose on the bottom from accessing the oil filter so I put a clip on it and hung it up with cord. I didn't touch the alternator and actually found 2 reasons to leave it in place. First, I placed a headlamp on top of it which was perfect lighting. Then, I had difficulty removing the PCV valve until I used the alternator as a fulcrum for my long-nosed needle-nose pliers. Those definitely came in handy for this job (1 pair straight, 1 pair angled). The hardest part by far was inserting the new PCV valve. It just requires a lot of force. I got it most of the way by holding it with long-nosed pliers and pushing against the pliers with my left hand. In order to send it all the way home, I had to use 2 pairs of pliers in tandem. One pair against the oil filter seat as a fulcrum for the other pair. Be prepared to exercise a lot of patience with this job.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,802 Posts
Wow, that was a pain. I'd start with this thread on another site: Finding! and changing the PCV Valve on a 98 Frontier...

From that thread, I echo the recommendation to remove the wheel (front passenger) and get the rubber mud flap out of the way (unless already missing). Mine was loose on the bottom from accessing the oil filter so I put a clip on it and hung it up with cord. I didn't touch the alternator and actually found 2 reasons to leave it in place. First, I placed a headlamp on top of it which was perfect lighting. Then, I had difficulty removing the PCV valve until I used the alternator as a fulcrum for my long-nosed needle-nose pliers. Those definitely came in handy for this job (1 pair straight, 1 pair angled). The hardest part by far was inserting the new PCV valve. It just requires a lot of force. I got it most of the way by holding it with long-nosed pliers and pushing against the pliers with my left hand. In order to send it all the way home, I had to use 2 pairs of pliers in tandem. One pair against the oil filter seat as a fulcrum for the other pair. Be prepared to exercise a lot of patience with this job.
Be glad the hose didn't break like it did on me.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,802 Posts
I had to remove the entire PCV breather assembly just to jam it in. The hose also broke and is NLA from Nissan, so I had to improvise and get bulk hose from the parts store. It's held up well for a few years now.
C'mon now buddy. That particular length of hose isn't a formed hose.
It's just a length of bulk hose to begin with.
Wood Gas Auto part Tool Font

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I didn't see anything in this thread about lubricating the inside of the hose or outside barb of the PCV.....

·
Registered
4,021 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Only thing missing is the full mirror pic of the Cuss with his Lifted Kilt beverage. Or maybe it's supposed to be missing for the sake of CF.
Here is the Mrs. starkers.
Water Thigh Thumb Smile Leisure

Here's with shoes and socks
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Water Thigh Chest Event Thumb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts